Seriously!?!? Is this really a healthy snack?

Options

Replies

• pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already hit one nail - compare all nutrients.

But in general, granola is NOT a healthy snack - it is usually made with lots of added sugars and refined grains. Some bars (like KIND brand) are better.

However, I would recommend moving to almonds, eggs, and other protein sources. If you want the sweet granola taste, try making your own trail mix (almonds, dried cranberries, white chocolate chips, walnuts...yum!).

Finally, let me point out that healthy can still be high in calories and fat - just look at an avocado! It's whether the food is GOOD fat and GOOD calories that matters - I'd rather eat a whole avocado (almost 400 calories) than a pbj sandwich on white bread (also almost 400 calories)!
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree with reading the ingredients first and then the nutrition facts. I looked up the ingredients and would say that while this is probably healthier than potato chips one of the first ingredients is partially hydrogenated oil and it has many different types of sugar. My rule for buying things, especially snacks, is to not buy anything that has ingredients I wouldn't keep in my pantry and ingredients that are difficult to read.... I keep fresh fruits and vegetables with me to snack on when I'm at work.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Honestly the whole debate on "healthy" and "unhealthy" is out of hand. I'm a 100% believer in the idea of, a fat is a fat, a carb is a carb, and protein is protein. Regardless of where you're getting them from, my honest opinion is that companies create these "healthy" type snacks in order to get people to pay more or even just to choose their product over another because of the health claims they make. Don't fall victim to these companies scams do your own research. The bag of potato chips or the bag of nuts and granola are really no different. Besides the price of course.

There is so much wrong here I don't even know where to begin refuting it.
  • alikat5544
    alikat5544 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you have an Iphone or smart phone of any kind there is an app called fooducate. You scan a product and it gives it a grade. Some of the foods that get Ds are shocking. For example, a fiber one 90 cal bar is a D. Shocking right?
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Honestly the whole debate on "healthy" and "unhealthy" is out of hand. I'm a 100% believer in the idea of, a fat is a fat, a carb is a carb, and protein is protein. Regardless of where you're getting them from, my honest opinion is that companies create these "healthy" type snacks in order to get people to pay more or even just to choose their product over another because of the health claims they make. Don't fall victim to these companies scams do your own research. The bag of potato chips or the bag of nuts and granola are really no different. Besides the price of course.

It's just ignorant spatter. :grumble: I'd ignore it but it bothers me when people ask good questions and get crap answers.
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    To much sugar In yogurt Almonds are great protein
    The Emerald breakfast is sugary. Better breakfast on the go -> yogurt and a handful of almonds.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistance and sugar is a killer. If I ate granola as a snack I'd be having a sugar crash an hour later. So for me, the chips would be healthier.
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes, and portions. I learned (here on MFP) that a 'portion' of trail mix is really like 1/4 cup. That is a small amount. But I used to gorge on at least a cup I of the stuff I would pack for 'lunch' but in reality would wolf down in the a.m. and then add in other 'snack' throughout the day.

Our sense of portions are so outta whack we all need to reevaluate what a proper portion of meals are.

On a related note, I have started eating from small, salad plates. I want to put away the larger plates (and just use when guests come over).
  • agentscully514
    Options
    I'll disagree, I don't think it's ignorant at all. "Healthy" is too often a marketing ploy used to trick people into buying products they don't need. It's up to us as consumers to read the labels and make informed choices.

It's just ignorant spatter. :grumble: I'd ignore it but it bothers me when people ask good questions and get crap answers.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Which one tastes better?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I think I understand where the person who wrote the original quote above was coming from, though the end result was certainly confusing and a bit misguided. When I read it, I interpreted it to be pointing out that many of the foods that are sold/advertised as "health" "diet" etc. foods are really not all that good for us, or even all that different from the non-diet/non-health-food counterparts. Many of them are super processed.

HOWEVER - the part about it not mattering where the carbs/fat/protein comes from is the misguided part. Most people will recognize that 50g of carbs from something like quinoa will leave them feeling much better than if it came from something like a candy bar. The more calories you get from non/minimally processed foods the better off you will be - it will have more of the natural minerals/vitamins and fewer additives.

My criteria for determining what is healthy is not how the food is advertised/labeled, but what the ingredient list actually says.
  • stylistchik
    Options
    I'll disagree, I don't think it's ignorant at all. "Healthy" is too often a marketing ploy used to trick people into buying products they don't need. It's up to us as consumers to read the labels and make informed choices.

I agree we need to make our own choice but it's not as simple as this guy tells everybody. Saturated, unsaturated, monounsaturated, and trans fats all react differently with your body it's not as simple as "fat is fat" and "sugar is sugar" unless you don't care about your health.
  • houstonmacbro
    Options
    Additionally, I have stopped eating cereals. I know a lot of people swear by 'whole grains', but I am not sold ... even the good stuff has a lot of salt and sugar ... I'd rather have a half of a sweet potato in the a.m. than cereal.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    Me too. Twenty years ago it was possible to find cereal with low sugar. now it seems virtually impossible, even in a natural food store. Granola is some of the most sugary stuff out there.

I do still eat yogurt, but only plain.
    Additionally, I have stopped eating cereals. I know a lot of people swear by 'whole grains', but I am not sold ... even the good stuff has a lot of salt and sugar ... I'd rather have a half of a sweet potato in the a.m. than cereal.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

I agree we need to make our own choice but it's not as simple as this guy tells everybody. Saturated, unsaturated, monounsaturated, and trans fats all react differently with your body it's not as simple as "fat is fat" and "sugar is sugar" unless you don't care about your health.

Yes, this is what I meant (mostly). The part about marketing is true, but the rest is just plain wrong.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    Agreed that it's a bit more complicated. The fats are very different. As a far as sugar goes, I am very sugar sensitive and I'm not really convinced that there are "healthy" sugars. Sugar is sugar to your body ... the only difference with so called healthy sugars is that they are released more slowly.

My main point was, I just get instantly riled up when I see an advertisement touting "healthy" food. It's a hot button word since so much crap is out there.
  • houstonmacbro
    Options
    Agreed that it's a bit more complicated. The fats are very different. As a far as sugar goes, I am very sugar sensitive and I'm not really convinced that there are "healthy" sugars. Sugar is sugar to your body ... the only difference with so called healthy sugars is that they are released more slowly.

My main point was, I just get instantly riled up when I see an advertisement touting "healthy" food. It's a hot button word since so much crap is out there.

You do have to make your own food choices and know that what is 'healthy' to someone might be considered 'unhealthy' by me. Example: Whole grain cereal and soy. Many people think those are healthy, but I feel they are not so healthy for ME. I've seen what they do to MY body and I don't like the results. But mileage varies...
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    So, I ate my "granola mix" this morning. There was very little granola in it, mostly raisins and dried cranberries, there were walnuts and peanuts. I never bought this to try before because it is very expensive and bought it now because it was on a really good sale. Now, next time I will save my money and just buy some raisins if I want a sweet chewy snack.
  • stylistchik
    Options

I like the saying "If a product has to advertise how healthy it is, it probably isn't"
  • melbellkid
    Options
    I have a sweet/salty addiction-I replaced most of my junk with a new favorite combo-a clementine and a handful of pistachios-you get the sweet and the pistachios give the salty/crunch. Plus it gives me a fruit and a protein for under 100 calories and really fills me up and is pretty healthy barring the salt from the pistachio.