swiss ball instead of incline bench?

Options
Hi all, I am adding to my "home" (work actually) gym. There is a cable machine, and some cardio machines. I plan to add a swiss ball and dumbbells. One of the workout plans I have been looking at uses an incline bench for many of the exercises. Can I use the swiss ball instead of an incline bench? It may sound like a stupid question, but I've never used a swiss ball before, so I really don't know. TIA!

Replies

• watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • tracylee679
    tracylee679 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be fine to use a swiss ball. The Supreme 90 series uses a swiss ball as a bench and it seems to work pretty well. Plus you get the added ab workout from trying to stay balanced! Hope that helps!

Tracy
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if this works vice-versa also. The plan I'm doing uses a swiss ball, which I don't have at my gym at work. So maybe the incline bench would be a better option than on the floor?
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be fine to use a swiss ball. The Supreme 90 series uses a swiss ball as a bench and it seems to work pretty well. Plus you get the added ab workout from trying to stay balanced! Hope that helps!

Tracy

Thanks!
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think the incline bench would just add more resistance & distance to the exercise. A swiss ball would provide instability instead of resistance, so it would be slightly different, but I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Certainly. Just about anything that calls for a bench can be done on a fitness ball.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think it depends

The stability ball CAN be useful as it's harder to cheat the lift, but if you're spending energy and focus, trying to stabilize yourself when you could be using that to exert more force on your incline press, I think this could be detrimental.

You may find that it's more productive to do incline press on a bench and work your core with core-specific work.

Not trying to sway you one way or another, just bringing up the above point as something to consider.
  • Samanthasteinagle26
    Options
    It's too cold outside to even go to the gym. So, I started supreme90 n it seems pretty good even tho I almost broke my head falling off the swiss ball.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do it all the time! My trainer has me use it because it actually engages more muscles keeping yourself steady and you can still do most incline moves with it, you just angle yourself on your tailbone and stabalize yourself with your core. It's actually a GREAT core workout as well! Good luck!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are trying to do. With the ball, you have to go lighter with your weights because of the added balance aspect of the activity. So, with the stability ball, then you get more endurance resistance training and core strength. If you use an actual bench, then you can go heavier with the weights but you don't have as much of the balance aspect. So, with the bench, you can build strength and hypertrophy, but not core strength.

And yes, you can modify any program that you are doing to use what you have. As I'm designing programs to put on my Facebook fan page for the new year, I'm using a mix of bench and stability ball work, but I am specifically doing that so that people with a ball and no bench or vice versa know that they can do the exercises using either so that they can modify themselves. Just go with what you have until you can add the other piece of equipment to your collection. And yes, it does become a collection over time for those of us who get hooked on exercise. LOL