Dieting is new to me

Options
I'm 49 and have found myself overweight after being naturally thin most of my life. Evidently had a naturally high metabolism because I could eat whatever I wanted and never gain a pound. I am now 30 pounds heavier than I was at nine months pregnant with either of my children!! Because I never had to watch my weight I am basically ignorant about dieting. I am using FitnessPal to keep track of my calories. I started Zumba a week ago and am loving it! Would love to find a way to improve my metabolism.

Replies

• jmsouth5
    jmsouth5 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Juli. I came to accept the fact that I needed to do something about myself after stepping on a scale we bought for our son for xmas, and learned that our old scale was off BY 10 LBS! As if being overweight by 30 lbs wasn't bad enough. I ate well, never exercised, and figured that watching what food I ate was sufficient. Well, my metabolism has finished that argument. So here I am, I recently joined Slim-Fast online, and have joined into a few forums there. I didn't realize how many women are my age (45) and in the same sad shape I am. I like having the support of the groups. I have always been horrible at committing to exercise, and I have never needed to "diet". What a wake up this has been, but I'm excited and willing.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to a great place! MFP provides a wonderful framework for your efforts and many tools in the toolbox as well as a great community for support.

My piece of advice for someone just starting out:

*be patient: losing weight is a process not an event
    *educate yourself on nutrition
    *evaluate what you put into your body
    *consider the changes you're making to be evolving into a whole new lifestyle and not just temporary changes you're making to "diet and lose weight"

good luck and happy eating!!!!
    PS: "they" say losing weight is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise, so don't expect that merely adding physical activity to what you currently eat will bring you the results you need....don't get me wrong, I'm all for being physically fit.....just sayin.....

friend me if you want, my food diary is open to my friends (I'm FAR from perfect!! LOL)
    JoJo
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to a great place! MFP provides a wonderful framework for your efforts and many tools in the toolbox as well as a great community for support.

My piece of advice for someone just starting out:

*be patient: losing weight is a process not an event
    *educate yourself on nutrition
    *evaluate what you put into your body
    *consider the changes you're making to be evolving into a whole new lifestyle and not just temporary changes you're making to "diet and lose weight"

good luck and happy eating!!!!
    PS: "they" say losing weight is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise, so don't expect that merely adding physical activity to what you currently eat will bring you the results you need....don't get me wrong, I'm all for being physically fit.....just sayin.....

friend me if you want, my food diary is open to my friends (I'm FAR from perfect!! LOL)
    JoJo
  • Pkconarroe
    Options
    Sounds like we are pretty much in the same boat. I just want to feel good about myself again. Good Luck to you!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Friend invite sent :flowerforyou: