Goodbye MAYO!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I use light mayo, but I normally don't get it on sandwiches anymore. The only time I use it is to make tuna salad.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I keep light mayo here that I spice up with basil, tabasco etc... and use a little of that or some hummus instead... it definatally cuts those sub cals down!!!!!!! And sometimes, if I get the bread, I take off half right away...so I still enjoy the sandwich, just not all the cals.. ;)
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I use avocado as opposed to mayo. It's just delicious!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Luckily, I hate mayo. Mustard I think is like 5 calories for a tablespoon so I use that. Try it.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't buy anything 'diet' or 'lite' as they tend to have loads of sodium and sugar to make up for the lack of fat. I don't any fast food/processed foods, but when I make egg salad or chicken and/or tuna salad I use unflavoured Greek youghurt for half the mayo. Since the youghurt is slightly sweeter I add garlic pepper to the dressing. My hubby likes it and it cuts the fat with healthier.
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like Hellman's/Best Foods light mayo. It's 35 cals per tbsp and has an easy to read ingredients list. They also make one that uses olive oil. I believe it is 45 cals per tbsp and also has a simple ingredients list.

I love mayo... I'll NEVER give it up. LOL
    ^^^THIS
    I also use Hellmann's light mayo. It tastes the best, as far as light mayo goes, imo. I don't think I could eat a sandwich without mayo so I just don't eat sandwiches that often.lol
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation. Log the mayo and move on. And don't cut it out for good. What is tuna without it?
    ^^^THIS!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!!!!

Just was calculating a sandwich on Jimmy John's website. Mayo kills it!!

Easily adds 200 calories to your sandwich.

I guess mayo is on the "no-go" list from now on! :grumble:
    It's pure fat goo.
    I no longer use it either. So much of our diet in America is pure sewer sludge.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!!!!

It's pure fat goo.
    I no longer use it either. So much of our diet in America is pure sewer sludge.

lets not go psycho on mayo...it aint exactly sewer sludge....some oil...some eggs..some salt...its good...just has high cals...fit em in....dont be hatin
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    First of all, to address the people saying miracle whip is a sub for mayo.. Blech. Miracle whip is NOTHING like mayo. It is a "salad dressing" according to the label. Secondly, the Hellman's reduced fat mayo w/ olive oil IS delicious. 40 Cals per T, definitely enough to get the taste of mayo. Tastes like the full fat version, I can't tell the difference.
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I like Hellman's/Best Foods light mayo. It's 35 cals per tbsp and has an easy to read ingredients list. They also make one that uses olive oil. I believe it is 45 cals per tbsp and also has a simple ingredients list.

I love mayo... I'll NEVER give it up. LOL

LOVE Hellman's light mayo! Super yummy!!!! I will never give it up either, just use in moderation!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the same too, but I love mayo :love: . I wonder what people use as a substitute when trying to lessen their caloric intake? Anyone... Sandwiches are just dull without it.

Dijonaise!!! Like 5 calories per tablespoon and creamy just like mayo! It does have a brown mustard taste to it, but I love it! Perfect mayo/mustard swap! :bigsmile:
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!!!!

JJ sandwhiches arent the same without the mayo--what I do now is tell them no mayo and then ask for a mayo packet instead that way I control how much is used instead of the overload of mayo they put on.
  • disneychick0412
    Options
    I use Laughing Cow Light French Onion on roast beef sandwiches! It's my favorite kind, and the Light Swiss is also good!
  • rcrgirl84
    Options
    Boars head horseradish it is only 15cal per tsp and only 15mg of sodium.

I've started making my sandwiches with Boar's Head Horseradish sauce and some dijon mustard - adds a nice spicy flavor.