Countertop safe fruit?

This is silly, but I really hate cold fruit. Aside from bananas, what is safe for me to leave on the countertop as opposed to refrigeration? I'm not too worried about it over-ripening, as I have two little girls that love fruit. I'm just drawing a blank as to what is safe. Thanks!!

Replies

• anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    A good rule of thumb is the grocery store. Whatever they leave outside of the refrigerated section, you can too.
    In my grocery store, almost all of the fruit sits in the middle of the produce section. So, you can let apples, oranges, avocados, tomatoes, melon, pineapple, berries (etc) all ripen on the counter.

Enjoy!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    We leave all ours out... apples, pears, bananas, grapes, cachi, oranges etc... You should wash em, but I'm awful and just give it a quick polish on my jumper (probably puts more germs on!) or don't bother at all...never made me ill!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    I leave out everything except berries and fresh figs, because they go bad really fast if they're at room temp. Otherwise, on the counter it goes!
  • the grocery store rule is a good one.... pretty much anything but berries i think would be fine. pears, oranges, apples, etc... i've left out for days (because i am more ambitious about eating fruit than i am good about actually eating it :P) and i've not had any serious problems.
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    I leave all my fruit in a bowl on the countertop aside from things like berries. Limes, lemons, mango, banana, avocado, apples, oranges, pears - all fine! If I'm worried it's going to go bad, I eat it or freeze it to put in a smoothie later. Keep an eye on your produce, eat it regularly, buy the right amount and you should have no problem!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    I leave out everything except berries and fresh figs, because they go bad really fast if they're at room temp. Otherwise, on the counter it goes!

Exactly. Everything but berries and figs is fine to leave out. Yay for fruit :D
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    You guys are awesome! Thanks a bunch.