Dinner party starters - what's YOUR favourite?

Options
TourThePast
TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
So what are your absolute favourite healthy recipes?

For New Year's Eve, we're each doing a course, and I'm doing starters. I usually rely on various seafood options for healthy starters but one of us is allergic to all kinds of seafood & fish, so I need to actually think about this one!

Replies

• 19steph88
    19steph88 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    we had friends over for dinner the other day,and I tried two new things (both very simple). 1) Just mixing halved grape tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, chopped red onion, and diced basil, drizzled with olive oil. (I drizzled some balsamic also, but some folks don't like that--). 2) I made my own chips by cutting corn tortillas into 6ths, spraying them with Pam Olive Oil spray, spritzing with lime juice and sprinkling with a salt, cumin, & chili powder mix, then baking. I served with with a bowl of salsa and a bowl of hummus! Both were a big hit and not TOO caloric. Hopefully others will provide you with even more ideas!
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Appreciate the suggestion, I need to prepare something in advance as I'm taking my parents out for the day beforehand, so that mozzarella pearl salad is definitely going on the list of ideas!
  • sj915
    sj915 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend and i do "basil bites"...which is essentially the same as what was listed but we don't drizzle any dressing (recipe says to, but we don't). On a toothpick, we just cut small cherry tomatoes in half and put those on the ends, rip up basil and put them right inside the tomato, and the center is a mozz pearl. super easy to eat and a healthy appetizer! oh yeah, and SUPER TASTY
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    We always do shrimp cocktail. This is a hit at our gatherings, but you may find someone allergic to shell fish.
    We also do raw vegetables with dips (there are many gluten free and dairy free). And, we always have a cracker and cheese tray. I have made stuffed mushrooms, too.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    sj915, torn basil leaves sound wonderful with the tomato and mozarella, great idea!

Dirbikegirl5 I think my friends are a bit tired of my healthy lifestyle, so maybe not raw vegetables, but the stuffed mushrooms might work be just the thing, maybe with Stilton crumbled over. :smile:

Gah, I'm hungry now! :bigsmile:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I love to do turkey, sweet potato, sage meatballs. They look really cute with little toothpicks in them, and taste really decadent. No one ever suspects that they are low-cal. The sweet potato keeps them really moist like a pork/beef meatball.

We made them again for christmas and they were gone really fast.
    http://happygoodtime.com/2011/11/01/flavors-of-fall-turkey-sweet-potato-and-sage-meatballs-with-cranberry-chutney/

I also really like to get a good can of whole tomatoes, and slow roast them for about 4 hours at 275 degrees with some fresh herbs and a bit of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt when finished and serve with bread. They turn a beautiful dark red, and the juice reduces to a really flavorful spread for fresh bread.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I also really like to get a good can of whole tomatoes, and slow roast them for about 4 hours at 275 degrees with some fresh herbs and a bit of olive oil.
    Do you mean a tin of plum tomatoes in tomato juice? What do you do, spread them individually on a baking sheet with juice over them, or dry?
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    What's your menu currently?
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    a reduced spinach dip is a hit with my friends
  • giggitygoo
    Options
    I also really like to get a good can of whole tomatoes, and slow roast them for about 4 hours at 275 degrees with some fresh herbs and a bit of olive oil.
    Do you mean a tin of plum tomatoes in tomato juice? What do you do, spread them individually on a baking sheet with juice over them, or dry?

Yes, a tin of plum tomatoes in their juice. It's delicious.

Here's a blog post about it.
    http://aconversationaboutfood.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/pomodoro-san-marzano/

41dqKJAUiXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I do bruschetta, endive boats (endive with pesto and tomatoes), brie with pepper sauce and pita chips ( um maybe not low fat :laugh: but yummy ;) ) Salsa with veggy sticks, smoked salmon. Really it depends on what the rest of your menu items are?
  • giggitygoo
    Options
    Ohhhhh maybe some roasted beet slices finished with a dollop of herbed goat cheese and a drizzle of honey?
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Yes, a tin of plum tomatoes in their juice. It's delicious.
    Here's a blog post about it.
    http://aconversationaboutfood.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/pomodoro-san-marzano/
    Never heard of that before, sounds delicious!
    What's your menu currently?
    Good question. There will be two mains, I suspect that one will be lasagne, and I've no idea what the dessert will be.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Fresh Figs with Mascarpone and Warm Spiced Honey

These are delicious and take about 5 minutes to prepare.

http://www.wholeliving.com/131870/fresh-figs-mascarpone-and-warm-spiced-honey?czone=eat-well/seasonal-foods/fall&center=136760&gallery=136060&slide=131871
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    stuffed mushrooms

buy a pack of mushrooms and take out the stems (of course). In a small bowl, I mix a piece of toast torn up into tiny bits, and green bell pepper chopped into tiny bits, garlic powder, and stuff the mushrooms with that. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. I used to add pam or olive oil to the mixture but baked it without it and it was plenty juicy.

Bake at about 300 for 10 min or so, just enough to heat them all the way through and melt the cheese. mmmmmm. I wish I had some right now!
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Great to know you can do mushrooms without the olive oil, the figs with marscapone sound interesting too. May have to have a few dinner parties to use up all these ideas! :bigsmile:
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump