Make ahead meals....

Options
relaws
relaws Posts: 25 Member
Anyone have any recipes for make ahead breakfast and lunch meals?

Replies

• lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I like making a bunch of breakfast burritos ahead of time.

They are really easy. Just scramble some eggs with some veggies of your choice (add meat too if you want, sometimes I chop up some bacon in there). Dump them in some whole wheat tortillas, sprinkle some cheese and/or tomato on top and wrap it up. I wrap them in saran wrap and stick them in the freezer. Then all you have to do is unwrap and pop them in the microwave in the morning and eat it on the go. Yum!

As for lunches, I either pack leftovers or bring canned soups to work. :(
  • nvouvalis
    Options
    For breakfasts, I like to make cottage cheese and fruit for the entire week on Sundays. Half a cup of cottage cheese, and half a cup of fruit! My favorites are strawberries and blueberries... I think they stay fresh longest. Mango is also really good. I suggest staying away from pineapple and bananas if you're making it for the week ahead.

For lunches, I do the same with salads. I buy a good head of lettuce, two nice tomatoes, a cucumber and an onion and divide those between four or five good sized tupperwares (usually I go out to eat with coworkers at least one day a week) on Sundays. Then everything is packaged up and ready to go for me in the mornings!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I make a "crustless quiche" for breakfast. The last one was mushrooms with an oz of gruyere grated into it, I use 3 eggs and 3 egg whites.
    I sauteed the mushrooms with an onion in olive oil with salt and pepper and put that in a pie plate and grated the cheese on top, blended the eggs and egg whites with evaporated milk and poured over the fillings, bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees. It was 6 servings and only 225 cals and 12 grams of protein.
    Another time I made it with potato and roasted red peppers and it was good with salsa or on a tortilla for variety.
    I am not as good about make ahead lunches, but I like to make enough dinner and portion those out for lunch the next day-fajitas and stir fry are both good choices, they reheat well.
    I also like to bake up a variety of chicken breasts with a coating, dip the raw breast in egg then some with raw unsweet coconut, some with pecan, bake. You can take them to easily add to a bag of salad.
    Another option would be a crock pot stew, turkey chili, or chicken tortilla soup.
  • relaws
    relaws Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Salads - today I made a big bowl of red cabbage slaw (finely sliced with some fennel, apple, celery, toasted wlanuts and stilton. dressing made from walnut oil, red wine vinegar and dijon mustard). There's loads of that leftover, so I'll take a tub of that to work tomorrow, with a slice of cold ham or salt beef.

I usually make soups and stews at the weekend, and freeze them in one-portion containers.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I make egg "cupcakes". I put egg white and cheese into silicone muffin tins and bake. You can add whatever other ingredients you like.