Best shoes for running?

Options
I'd love some suggestions for good running shoes... Let me know what you wear and why? Or even if you could tell me what shoe to stay away from? The shoes I have now are becoming too loose with my weight loss and cause blisters on my toes, and I feel like they don't properly support my feet/legs.

HELP!

Replies

• sandlerlover
    sandlerlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm curious also. I have a pair of Underarmor that I wear now on my treadmill and they are comfy. I also just bought a pair of FILA's last night.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that Asics, New Balance, and Saucony are best. (unless you're into the whole Vibrams/barefoot running thing, but that's another story.)

Personally I haven't liked Nikes for running, but go check out a local running store and have them help you! Most running stores will evaluate your gait and help you find a pair that's best for your foot shape, gait, etc. for free!
  • CharNordie
    CharNordie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i used to get blisters and sore ankles and knees all the time. I did a ton of research on barefoot running. and bought some Vibram Five Finger runners. I LOVE THEM! and can run really well now. Read the book Born To Run, you'll be a barefoot runner convert too!!!!
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting them to run in I would advise you to visit a store such as Fleet Feet or another specialty running store. They will analyze your gait, stride, and pronation or lack there of and help you determine what shoe is best for you without regards to the price/brand/look of the shoe.
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious, too...as I just got a pair that is wearing out HORRIBLY fast. So, what brand tends to really last?
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I have very high arches and under armor have been my favorites but now I'm running in asics. They're ok but I'm interested in what other people say.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    No one can answer this for you. Feet and gaits are different. You need to go to a reputable running store where experienced runners and salespeople can help you find the shoe that's right for your feet.

They will measure you and have you run (either outside or on a treadmill) to analyze your gait. I can't stress how important this is. Usually these stores are independently owned and not in the mall. You may pay a little more for their expertise, but it's worth it. Also, it's these types of stores that do quite a bit in support of local runs in your community.

For me, Asics Nimbus Gels are the right shoe. My son wears Mizuno's. For you??? Go get fitted. And, while you're there, pick up some good running socks that wick away moisture. They're worth their weight in gold, too.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    the best running shoes are the ones that have been fitted properly for your feet and your gait. Everybody's feet and gait is different, so what suits others perfectly may not suit your style of running.

I'm a runner, and the biggest expense I incur with ANY item of clothing is my running shoes. I will spare no expense to get them right every time, as it significantly reduces the risk of injury to my feet, ankles, knees, and lower back. I have a big problem spending $50 on dress shoes, but no problem at all with spending $250 on running shoes. That said, I dont expect you to spend that much on running shoes, but you need to understand the importance of getting it right the first time, especially if you are planning on clocking up a lot of miles!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    No one can answer this for you. Feet and gaits are different. You need to go to a reputable running store where experienced runners and salespeople can help you find the shoe that's right for your feet.

They will measure you and have you run (either outside or on a treadmill) to analyze your gait. I can't stress how important this is. Usually these stores are independently owned and not in the mall. You may pay a little more for their expertise, but it's worth it. Also, it's these types of stores that do quite a bit in support of local runs in your community.

For me, Asics Nimbus Gels are the right shoe. My son wears Mizuno's. For you??? Go get fitted. And, while you're there, pick up some good running socks that wick away moisture. They're worth their weight in gold, too.

Very good advice! (And worded far better than I could have done!)
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump. I'm curious myself.
  • runwithmike
    Options
    Currently, I am running in Brook Adrenaline X. I used to be strickly a Asics guy, but I really like the feel of my Brooks. I seems to get more miles out of them too.

However, I would recommend going to a running shoe specialty store and get fitted. They usually let you test run in them outside on the sidewalk. You need to have the proper shoes that conform to the type of foot you have or if you overpronate, etc. Otherwise you risk injuries. I haven't tried the Minimalist type of shoes that are the hottest trend these days, but I have heard mix reviews from my running friends.

Hey! I am looking for running friends on hear, feel free to friend me.
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i used to get blisters and sore ankles and knees all the time. I did a ton of research on barefoot running. and bought some Vibram Five Finger runners. I LOVE THEM! and can run really well now. Read the book Born To Run, you'll be a barefoot runner convert too!!!!

I also read this book. Great stuff.

When I started running, I ran in Motion Control shoes, I call them "Old Fat Man Shoes". I read Born to Run, and then, I started running in Teva sandals. The logic being I would feel it when I ran on my heels, like I ran with the fancy padded shoes. I trained myself to run on the balls of my feet. I ran four Half Marathons in $30 Adidas that did not have all the technical padding, just straight forward shoes. I recently bought Asics new minimalist shoe, Rush 33. I have only taken them out twice, but they are fantastic.

Running stores are great, but they are hit or miss, they usually just tow the regular line in regards to what shoe you need, flat foot, need motion control, overweight, need motion control, etc. Think about it, they are a shoe store. They will want you to buy the most expensive shoe, and it could be just the way you run. Good luck!
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have yourself fitted and evaluated for shoes. They'll measure you, look at your stride, etc and suggest the best fit for you and your stride.

I personally use New Balance or Sauccony. Nikes and generic brands always gave me knee pain.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Nike Free Runs!!! So comfy. I swear by them.
  • plummerpam
    plummerpam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just got a new pair of running shoes for Christmas, even though I bought a pair a couple of months ago. I made the mistake of buying a pair without being fitted or talking to anyone who knew anything about running shoes. Therefore, I ended up with blisters that I couldn't get rid of. I recently went to a specialty store that measured me. They told me I was a whole size smaller than the pair I bought. That's why I had blisters. The shoes I got for Christmas are WONDERFUL. They are Asics Gel Nimbus 13 and well worth the money. I can tell the difference already.
    The best advice is GO GET FITTED. It's worth the time and money.
  • trail_turtle
    trail_turtle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love my Altra 'Intuition' (road shoe) and 'Lone Peak' (trail running) shoes. They are cushioned, zero-drop (no heel rise), and keep me on a midfoot strike instead of a heel strike landing.
    They also widen at the toe-box, so no more cramped toes.

They are different, for sure, but they work very well for me.
  • CharNordie
    CharNordie Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I also read this book. Great stuff.

When I started running, I ran in Motion Control shoes, I call them "Old Fat Man Shoes". I read Born to Run, and then, I started running in Teva sandals. The logic being I would feel it when I ran on my heels, like I ran with the fancy padded shoes. I trained myself to run on the balls of my feet. I ran four Half Marathons in $30 Adidas that did not have all the technical padding, just straight forward shoes. I recently bought Asics new minimalist shoe, Rush 33. I have only taken them out twice, but they are fantastic.

Running stores are great, but they are hit or miss, they usually just tow the regular line in regards to what shoe you need, flat foot, need motion control, overweight, need motion control, etc. Think about it, they are a shoe store. They will want you to buy the most expensive shoe, and it could be just the way you run. Good luck!

Running on the balls of your feet is the key. and with runners, we just want to protect ourselves from the elements and run with as minimal as footwear as possible. If God thought we should have been wearing shoes to run, he would have created us that way.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love Asics! But I would recommend you go to a running store for them to fit the shoe to you! doesn't cost any extra!
    Happy Running!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting them to run in I would advise you to visit a store such as Fleet Feet or another specialty running store. They will analyze your gait, stride, and pronation or lack there of and help you determine what shoe is best for you without regards to the price/brand/look of the shoe.

I agree. Everyone's feet are different. I run in Mizuno's, but that may not work for someone else. Go to a professional and have them evaluate you. Buy the right pair first instead of wasting your money on shoes that dont fit and give you blisters.