Body Fat % testing

Options
I have always wanted to accurately know what my BF% was. So this morning, I went to a reputable fitness assessment center and had a BodPod measurement done. It's similar to the water displacement BF% test but is with air, and is supposed to be one of the most accurate ways to test.

I knew my BF% was high, probably in the high 30s... but I tested at 43.5%. And I'm only 26. I've never considered myself obese...but apparently I am. I don't even weigh 200 pounds. I've been teetering around 190 for quite a while, but I haven't hit 200. And according to most charts, I'm not just obese, but morbidly so. Really??

Now, if that isn't enough motivation to get my butt to the gym, I don't know what is.

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I have always wanted to accurately know what my BF% was. So this morning, I went to a reputable fitness assessment center and had a BodPod measurement done. It's similar to the water displacement BF% test but is with air, and is supposed to be one of the most accurate ways to test.

I knew my BF% was high, probably in the high 30s... but I tested at 43.5%. And I'm only 26. I've never considered myself obese...but apparently I am. I don't even weigh 200 pounds. I've been teetering around 190 for quite a while, but I haven't hit 200. And according to most charts, I'm not just obese, but morbidly so. Really??

Now, if that isn't enough motivation to get my butt to the gym, I don't know what is.
  • jennib06
    jennib06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow morbilly obese ast 190...how tall are you?!?
  • flcaoh
    Options
    With that rating you'd think I was a midget LOL. I'm 5'6".
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I knew the trainer was wrong! She did the caliper things on me and told me I was 44% fat! I didnt say anything but that would mean at 140 pounds I have 61 pounds of fat and 70 pounds of bones,muscle, water and brain matter???

I am so having her do that again. ( :tongue: she told me she is bad with numbers!!)
  • flcaoh
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not thinking your 44% fat LOL. The Bodpod thing is really cool. It only cost 25$ for me to find out what my BF% is... if you really want to know, I would try to find somewhere that has one, or something similar.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I looked around and couldnt find anywhere. i know there here as I am in SO FLA and there are many ppl into fitness. What was the name of the place you went to?
  • flcaoh
    Options
    Baseline Fitness, but I don't think it's a franchise. I would google 'BodPod' and the city you're in. A lot of universities have the water displacement tank too, but that might cost a good deal.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    wow look what I found just 10 miles from my home!! thanks!!
    http://www.coe.fau.edu/eshp/hplab.htm
  • flcaoh
    Options
    That's awesome!!! I signed up for the vo2 testing and the resting metabolism test. I take them tomorrow. That way, I know exactly what my heartrate needs to be and exactly how many calories I should be eating. Good luck with your testing!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I have wanted to know my calorie needs.

thanks for much for helping me!

I hope you get an A on your tests tomorrow!:laugh: :laugh:
  • flcaoh
    Options
    Ha, thanks :laugh: . I'm not so sure I've been studying like I should though :)
  • flcaoh
    Options
    Hi! I just thought I would let you know that the tests were lots of fun and I found out some good info! I didn't quite get an 'A' though LOL... but I've been slacking big time :grumble: so I expected lower than average results.

But finding out my specific numbers has really motivated me, which is something I have been struggling with for quite some time! I suspected that my metabolism was lowered from years of yoyo dieting and I was right. My resting metabolic rate is 500 cals less than what they predicted for someone of my weight, fitness level, and age. And my VO2, or "oxygen processing measurement" is also lower than average. But the good news is that I can change those with healthy habits. And I found out that I when I do work out at the gym, I am working out way too hard and my heart rate is up way too high... thus, why I haven't been seeing the results I've expected for pushing myself as hard as I do.

So, I scheduled a BodPod assessment for 8 weeks from now, so now I have no excuse to slack LOL.

Good luck when you get yours done!
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I found a place where I can get a BodPod test also. Anxious to find out.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Did you make sure to wear a tight bathing suit and swim cap?

The BodPod uses the equation density = mass/volume. It weighs you (mass) and measures how much space you take up by pumping the chamber full of air (volume). If any air gets caught in your clothing, you look like you take up a lot of space, and it skews your numbers. :smile:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I would hate for that to happen. Better just do in my birthday suit :wink:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Hi! I just thought I would let you know that the tests were lots of fun and I found out some good info! I didn't quite get an 'A' though LOL... but I've been slacking big time :grumble: so I expected lower than average results.

But finding out my specific numbers has really motivated me, which is something I have been struggling with for quite some time! I suspected that my metabolism was lowered from years of yoyo dieting and I was right. My resting metabolic rate is 500 cals less than what they predicted for someone of my weight, fitness level, and age. And my VO2, or "oxygen processing measurement" is also lower than average. But the good news is that I can change those with healthy habits. And I found out that I when I do work out at the gym, I am working out way too hard and my heart rate is up way too high... thus, why I haven't been seeing the results I've expected for pushing myself as hard as I do.

So, I scheduled a BodPod assessment for 8 weeks from now, so now I have no excuse to slack LOL.

Good luck when you get yours done!
    Cool! Now I HAVE to do it!! I am calling the school on Monday. The students can use me as a guinea pig!
  • flcaoh
    Options

The BodPod uses the equation density = mass/volume. It weighs you (mass) and measures how much space you take up by pumping the chamber full of air (volume). If any air gets caught in your clothing, you look like you take up a lot of space, and it skews your numbers. :smile:

Did it in my skivies :) Just a bra and undies and a swim cap... I was looking hot LOL... NOT. :) But I'm not a super modest person, so it didn't phase me too much. I'm glad I found out my numbers... I am super motivated now, especially because I have a follow up measurement scheduled.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Did it in my skivies :) Just a bra and undies and a swim cap... I was looking hot LOL... NOT. :) But I'm not a super modest person, so it didn't phase me too much. I'm glad I found out my numbers... I am super motivated now, especially because I have a follow up measurement scheduled.

That is a great motivational tool! I usually get skin folds done whenever I can. They're free and quick, but the downside is that a poorly-trained pincher will get too much or too little skin. It's still nice to see a downward trend though! :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I wanted to bump this for the Sunday gang.

If anyone wants to get these tests I have found the local Universities have labs-and are in need of lab 'rats'. Dont know the cost yet, as I cant call until Monday.

Have a great Sunday!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I wanted to bump this for the Sunday gang.

If anyone wants to get these tests I have found the local Universities have labs-and are in need of lab 'rats'. Dont know the cost yet, as I cant call until Monday.

Have a great Sunday!

AWTY, I can't imagine them charging you, unless they hold a specific fundraising day and take donations. Our clinics are always free. :smile: