Black Women No Longer "Weighting" To Lose Weight!

Options

Replies

• TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Obviously not a sister but definitely want to offer encouragement. Blacks, in general, are falling victim to obesity the hardest from complications of hypertension, heart disease, and a whole slew of weight related issues. I actually take back calling people a victim of obesity (barring health issues that could actually cause it) and just say that it's simply a choice. Together you'll stand strong and hopefully others, sisters and brothers, will follow the path of ensuring that we keep our temples in check. Good luck to all!
  • azuria518
    azuria518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I want 2012 to be different. I want to focus on my health and healthily eating habits for my entire family.
  • itsmskimmichelle
    itsmskimmichelle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just started going natural a few weeks ago and I did the BC last week! I like having my TWA nice and breezy as I sweat! :)

Anyone feel free to add me if any of you ar e looking for support! We are going to make 2012 WORK :)

Congrats on your BC! I've been natural for 2 1/2 years & I love it! I had maybe an inch of new growth & chopped it off! It was so liberating! Enjoy your TWA!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies , i never worry about working up a sweat as my hair is in locs. I"m loving the new me even though it's still a work in progress.

Ladies feel free to add me.

Keep on moving!!
  • itsmskimmichelle
    Options
    Obviously not a sister but definitely want to offer encouragement. Blacks, in general, are falling victim to obesity the hardest from complications of hypertension, heart disease, and a whole slew of weight related issues. I actually take back calling people a victim of obesity (barring health issues that could actually cause it) and just say that it's simply a choice. Together you'll stand strong and hopefully others, sisters and brothers, will follow the path of ensuring that we keep our temples in check. Good luck to all!

Thanks for the message! Brothas definitely need to get in line with the sistas! You can be @ an ideal weight & still be unhealthy. Let's make sure we are choosing healthier food options too.
  • sandislim
    Options
    I have natural hair and it is difficult to exercise and sort hair out each day, sometimes I have to go out with it looking terrible, but one day I will be in maintanence and I will have more time to look nice. I also think that black women have it harder when it comes to weightloss - BMI is not accurate and diabetes is more common (in my family anyway) I'm not sure that BMR's are accurate either. It's just a case of finding what works for us.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I slick that hair back and keep in movin!
    Its great to see so many black people taking charge of their health. Our community has always been more accepting of larger folks. Which I commend us for being open-minded when it comes to physical size. But we also have to be diligent with our health. As previous poster said - there are many health related issues on the rise in the AA community and a large part of that is related to diet and obesity.

Keep it up ladies! No one will care if your hair is nappy when that body is tight and healthy lol
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have locs and I get my sweat on. I mostly workout at home but, I am planning to join a gym in January. It does take me a long time to redo my hair after a few workouts. However, I like seeing the scale go down. I am worth it! Good luck everyone!
  • lallder
    lallder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I definitely refused to workout bc of sweating out my hair but now I'm to the point where health is more important than how my hair looks. So I get it in whenever I can. Decided that braids will be the way to go for me. Down 34lbs and plan to do better in 2012. Good luck in your weigh loss journey! Feel free to add me
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I went natural so I can wash and go. Hair will not hold me down... Hypertension and diabetes are much greater concerns..
  • Fit2BShe
    Fit2BShe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I'm new to the site and I wasn't aware that there were groups!
    I'm two years natural so I don't worry much about sweating my hair out. My problem is finding the time and staying motivated. I get bored easily, so I found that I often need to switch things up when it comes to exercise.
  • Tnikka
    Options
    I'm looking for a great group and motivated friends.. let's get it ladies ..
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I don't care about my hair sweating. I don't like wearing it down anyway. I'm on two of the groups already.
  • melissammundy
    Options
    My hair is the last thing on my mind when working out lol i usually wash it and throw it in a bun no matter how nappy it is. i still get relaxers to keep it in check though every now and then. i usually do it on my "rest day".
  • sonyaj1125
    sonyaj1125 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies,
    Please add me to your friends list! Weight loss is so easier with friends. I have been on my weight loss journey for a little over a yr. I have been on MFP for a few months. In total I have lost 60 pounds and counting. I would love some new friends for motivation for the last 15-16 pounds!! We can do it ladies!:smile:
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    :smile: Something to be proud of!
  • itsmskimmichelle
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for clicking this topic, choosing to respond & supporting each other! I means alot =D
  • LilianaGarciia
    LilianaGarciia Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    add me girlies :D
  • kludgood
    kludgood Posts: 172
    Options
    I too was one that hated to sweat y hair out BUT now im more concerned about my new shape thats forming that i could care less about sweating. The more sweat the better!!
    Add me too ladies :)
  • Seamoan87
    Options
    I just started going natural a few weeks ago and I did the BC last week! I like having my TWA nice and breezy as I sweat! :)

Anyone feel free to add me if any of you are looking for support! We are going to make 2012 WORK :)

That's awesome! I'm enjoying my twa myself :) Went Natural Feb2011! It's almost been a year for me.