Eating whatever you want before the New Year.

Options
I decided to eat whatever I wanted up until the 31st and start back to eating my calorie mark on the 1st. What are your thoughts on this? I have heard negative and positive views, people saying I will fail and not want to eat right, etc.
I know I can handle it that's why I chose to give myself a little break. Today I ate 1235 calories.. I went a whole 35 calories over, not bad at all for splurging. I am not trying to eat everything in site or anything like that.. Thoughts?

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I decided to eat whatever I wanted up until the 31st and start back to eating my calorie mark on the 1st. What are your thoughts on this? I have heard negative and positive views, people saying I will fail and not want to eat right, etc.
    I know I can handle it that's why I chose to give myself a little break. Today I ate 1235 calories.. I went a whole 35 calories over, not bad at all for splurging. I am not trying to eat everything in site or anything like that.. Thoughts?
    No, I allow myself a weekly "free day" for foolishness like that - any more, and I fear I won't be able to stop.

But you're practically starving yourself anyway, so maybe a few good feedings might help your metabolism.

Good luck!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    1235 isn't many calories anyway, so go for it, be moderate in your pickings, and I think you will do just fine. Happy New Year and congrats on your success thus far.
  • Klynn63
    Options
    How many calories do you all eat? Just curious! And thanks, Happy New Year to you as well!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I ate 4500 calories last Thursday and have been at least 400 calories over every day for about a week. Weighed in- NO GAIN. 1200 is such a low cal amount, you have plenty of wiggle room. You know your level of commitment and willpower- do what you know you can handle.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you all eat? Just curious! And thanks, Happy New Year to you as well!

My base calorie total is 1770.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My daily calorie goal is 1400...I rarely make it. I eat minimally processed foods and lots of fresh veggies, so the foods I eat are typically low calorie and filling. Today I'm at 1035 AND I ran almost 6 miles giving me exercise cals as well....I'm pretty sure that when I started this "thing" 3 months ago I was eating well above that amount every day, which is why I'm here, but I just can't seem to get there most days now.

I think you know your body and your mental state better than anyone else, and if you think you need a break, then take a break. If you don't think you can handle a break, then don't take one.

Good luck to you and Happy New Year!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    35 calories is not a splurge. LOL. If you want to see how much wiggle room you have, go to 'my home' at the top and then click on 'goals'. There you can see an estimate of how many. Alories your body burns on a daily basis just from normal activities. You can eat up to that amount each day and expect to not gain weight, b/c that is the amount your body burns daily anyway. My number is a little over 1600. I am currently set to lose 1/2 lb per week with a calorie goal of 1390, plus I eat my exercise calories so I normally eat around 1700-1900 on exercise days and I'm still losing weight, and I'm getting very close to my goal. :-)
  • Klynn63
    Options
    35 calories is not a splurge. LOL. If you want to see how much wiggle room you have, go to 'my home' at the top and then click on 'goals'. There you can see an estimate of how many. Alories your body burns on a daily basis just from normal activities. You can eat up to that amount each day and expect to not gain weight, b/c that is the amount your body burns daily anyway. My number is a little over 1600. I am currently set to lose 1/2 lb per week with a calorie goal of 1390, plus I eat my exercise calories so I normally eat around 1700-1900 on exercise days and I'm still losing weight, and I'm getting very close to my goal. :-)

That's awesome-- I think I will change my calorie goal higher!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I ate what I wanted from Thanksgiving to Christmas since I was focusing on not smoking. I gained 9lbs! So no more of that, I clearly have to count calories for the rest of my life. I have my goal set around 1550 which is my BMR.
  • vribaldo
    vribaldo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm going out to dinner tonight with an old friend from high school and I definitely plan on splurging! I have my calorie goal set at 1450. I'm still not sure if that is too low. I have absolutely no metabolism since I had my son six months ago and I don't want to further hinder my metabolism by not eating enough. Guess I'll have to wait and see until I start my 30 day challenge on Sunday.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options

I eat around 1,600 or so calories.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    your splurge was 35 calories?!?

seriously, i've been eating around 2200 calories a day for the past ohhhh 8 months and i haven't gained.

live a little lol! that's what exercise is for. eat your maintenance calories as a splurge. you won't gain.
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    December 31 is my birthday, so I ALWAYS eat whatever I want on this day!! :drinker:

So far, I have eaten 1600 calories today and am looking forward to a great seafood buffet dinner tonight.

Happy New Year!
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I ate 4500 calories last Thursday and have been at least 400 calories over every day for about a week. Weighed in- NO GAIN. 1200 is such a low cal amount, you have plenty of wiggle room. You know your level of commitment and willpower- do what you know you can handle.

4500 cals? Now THAT is splurging and I bet everything you ate was DELICIOUS!!!!

If you work out on a consistent basis, having splurge days back to back won't bring about destruction. Enjoy life!

Happy New Year to all!

5499814.png
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    how tall are you? that makes a difference.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've eaten right and exercized up till today.....and now the 31st is my cheat day and rest day from working out.....but tommorrow no matter what I'm back on track and on monday I start the Insanity program.

I say do what works for you as long as it doesn't derail all you have already accomplished.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm doing, there was just too much around to make a clean break after Christmas and keep my "morale" up lol. So I decided NY would be the break and I'm pretty happy with the decision.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    1235 is eating too little for me!! LOL

I think it's totally fine! I'm one of the people that if things are too strict, I do the opposite so I need a flexible plan and can't have the "all or nothing" outlook on things. So that's why I have weekly splurges where I'll still try to pick healthy choices but I won't fret if I'm over on calories.

just so I hold my sanity :)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have set my calorie goal to be my maintenance, which I figured out using the Katch Mcardle formula to be around 1890, for now I will try and eat almost that, and do exercise to get that caloric deficit, so that I net around 1500 which is about my BMR. I'd like to go for 3500 calories(ish) a week deficit overall, so my caloric intake will fluctuate from day to day.
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is about 1370, but I have under ten pounds to lose and am not a very big person, so that's a contributing factor. Splurging for me is 1800-2000 calories. Believe me, you are fine. It might even help your weightloss a little. Sometimes if I go over one day, I'll see a loss the next.