only 1200 calories per day, help!!!

Options
How do you do it? I've been on diets before but find it impossible to stay under 1200 calories without being famished :(
So guys what do you eat on a typical day and still manage to stay within your goal? I know sometimes if I’m under on calories I’m usually way over on fat/carbs/sodium, help me please :)

Replies

• megpie422
    Options
    I find that sometimes I feel very hungary also. I have found that if I eat small meals I am not so hungary and I alternate healthier substitues that keep me fuller longer like: fiber, water, or high protien
  • Kathi_S
    Kathi_S Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water... don't just sip it, gulp it. You would be surprised at how much that helps. I have heard that most of the time when we think we are hungry we are really just thirsty.
  • _itsB_
    _itsB_ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water... don't just sip it, gulp it. You would be surprised at how much that helps. I have heard that most of the time when we think we are hungry we are really just thirsty.
    i have a bit of a problem with the water.. if i drink the recommened 2L a day a pee like a pregnant lady, im talking every 30mins :ohwell: The doc said it'd sort itself out eventually but after 6 months ive had the same problems, i think ive the worlds smallest bladder :tongue:
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating now? What are your weight loss goals set at? (1lb or 2lbs a week?)
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't eat under 1200 cals per day unless I am not hungry for more. On a typical day I eat more like 1300, with my goal for the day being set at 1370. I think 1200 is too low for a lot of people on here, but I suppose it depends on your goals and what works for you. Sounds like it's not working for you, though! So maybe it's time to try something a little different?
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Along with drinking water and eating better (lots of vegies, small amounts of high protein and or 'good fat' foods). Setting your weight loss to something slow (maybe even as little as half a pound a week) is a way to manage the hunger. You might not be losing as quickly, but if it means you don't fall off the band wagon, that's a small price to pay.

Also, give some serious consideration to taking up exercise, it's not just good for you, it will earn you extra calories and you can eat more.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Break it into 4 sets of 300 calories, thats one each for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.

300 cal breakfasts - 2 eggs, some porridge, yoghurt with fruit and nuts
    Lunch - chop salad made from tomatoes, cucumber, celery, olives. Or home made vegetable soup. A slice of ham or chicken won't bust the calorie bank either.
    Dinner - grilled chicken breast with steam veg (broccoli or cabbage, say) or a stir fry with lots of peppers and mushrooms.
    Snacks - small piece cheese, hard boiled egg, handful of almonds, rice cakes with humous, cottage cheese - any of those should come in around 100 cals.

It does seem very low at first sight, but with a bit of experimenting it is possible.

Good luck!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    i have a bit of a problem with the water.. if i drink the recommened 2L a day a pee like a pregnant lady, im talking every 30mins :ohwell: The doc said it'd sort itself out eventually but after 6 months ive had the same problems, i think ive the worlds smallest bladder :tongue:

There is a way to tell if you have had enough water.....If your pee is clear then you have had enough......It's normal that your pee be yellow first thing of a morning..............
  • littlebecc
    Options
    If you want ideas for a 1200 cal diet you can check out my food diary :) I manage to eat around 1200 everyday without much trouble. What works for me is, if you feel hungry make a pot of tea and drink the whole pot. It stops me thinking about food. :) Hope that helps.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Do more exercise and eat back your exercise cals. I found when I went from 1200 cals a day to 1400, I lost more weight. 1200 I think just didnt work for me.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I am often full at 1200 to 1400 calories a day. Typically I am over in the areas of protein and sugars and way under on carbs and fats. I have lost my weight since 10/18 (23 pounds by years end). You said that you are typically over on carbs and fats and are hungry. I'd suggest finding ways to substitute carb calories for protein calories like peanut butter, beans, cheese, and more whole grains. Carbs are quickly broken down into sugars and stored or used, protein keeps your blood sugar even longer and you feeling full longer.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Eat more protein. It keeps you full longer than carbs for the same calories. Two eggs for breakfast, lean chicken breast for dinner, a glass of skim milk before bed, drink tea or water when you're hungry to check if you're actually hungry or not.
  • cheepbeer
    cheepbeer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that carbs make me hungry. I try and keep my net carb intake as low as possible and don't get the famished feeling.

Mike
  • reddoorjess
    Options
    Hi...I have found that really listeing to when I am feeling satisfied, instead of trying to push through it, I STOP then...even if I have only eaten half the sandwich ect. it helps and seems to reduce what I eat yet I am focusing on feeling NOT hungry instead of full.
  • cherridawnn
    Options
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If your famished at 1200, don't stay under 1200. You'll still lose weight at 1500. Heck, as young as you are, you'd probably lose at 1700.

The majority of the time I was losing (I'm in maintenance now), I ate about 1400-1500 plus exercise calories, for a total of about 1800 a day. I was grumpy and hungry if I tried to stay under 1200.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you're aiming for 1200 calories.

Are you exercising?

Eat.
  • cherridawnn
    Options
    I used to be like that, too. When I first started drinking water, it felt like I went every 5 minutes. However, once your body adjusts to the new routine it seems to get better.
    I drink about a gallon of water everyday. On top of that, I have coffee, tea, crystal light, and an occasional diet soda. I guess you could say that I'm a heavy drinker.
    When it comes to the food, it seems pretty easy if I'm "in the zone". Last time that I was in the zone, I lost about 68 lbs in a little over a year. I stepped out of the zone due to stressful circumstances and gained 17 lbs back in about 7 months. I came here hoping that it will help me step back in.
    By being in the zone, I mean that my mind is made up. It's a feeling of "I WILL do this"...not "I WANT this" or "I'm FAT."

In the last week, I have this weird feeling going on. It's a "not full" type of feeling. I remember this from before, and it means that I am on the right track again. Not full but not hungry either.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You don't give me a lot to go on in your profile, but am I right in reading you have more than a 100lb to lose? if that's the case then you are *absolutely* undereating. You need to eat far more than 1200 to lose at a healthy 2lb per week rate.

Re-run your BMR, and see what MFP are recommending as your daily intake. My guess is it will come out around 1600.

Also remember to eat back some of your exercise calories in addition to your daily allowance. This isn't so important if you're just doing light exercise, but if you're doing anything that's producing a decent sweat, you need to fuel that.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last poster above me. I hate that most people get stuck on the 1200 goal on here without thinking it through. First of all how much do you have to lose?
    Use this calculator.
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Plug in your information. For example a 5'3" female that weighs 190 can eat 1529 cal's a day actually used "little or no exercise " for the activity level and this would still have you lose 1 lb a week. Which is the healthiest and best speed to lose weight. The slower and steadier you lose it the more good habits your learning in order to maintain the loss once your there. Also, try to zig zag your calories if you can ..to mix up the monotony. That calculator also has a 7 day calorie break down menu you can use. The top number on this calculator results is your "maintenance" calories to stay right where you are. If you subtract 500 calories from that you are aiming for 1 lb a week. Then if you exercise those are bonus calories you've burned and you can choose whether to eat those extra calories or not. Either way if you stay at 500 cal below the maintenance you'll see a loss. But please drink water like everyone else has suggested. Good luck.