FitBit Questions!!??

Options
My husband just got me the fitbit for Christmas. Could you give me any tips if you have any? Some questions may be silly, but I just got it. Can I shut my lap top when wearing my fitbit? I'm always nervous to as does this mean that it won't be able to log my calories..etc What about when I work-out. Because it's logging all day how exactly do I log the time I work-out, and do you think it's pretty accurate about how well it judges. You hold down the button until you stop, and then you hold down again..correct? Lastly, do you somehow log what the fitbit says at the end of the day for calories, and how long I walked etc.. Any info would be great!!

Thanks~

Replies

• HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    your fitbit will update your steps and calories when you're near your laptop and it's on. i never used the fitbit calorie tracking purely because i found the database to be very lacking and awkward to use. i always wore mine inside my pocket. don't wash it.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    Options
    Anyone know the answers to the questions I asked??
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If you got to fitbit.com scroll down the the bottom, and click on product manuel.

Here is the link.

http://www.fitbit.com/manual#section=start

That should answer all of your questions.

I have one too. It will only sync to your computer if it is on and you are signed in and everything.

Feel free to add me if you 'd like on here or on fitbit.com
  • LittleMissAngi
    Options
    My husband just got me the fitbit for Christmas. Could you give me any tips if you have any? Some questions may be silly, but I just got it. Can I shut my lap top when wearing my fitbit? I'm always nervous to as does this mean that it won't be able to log my calories..etc What about when I work-out. Because it's logging all day how exactly do I log the time I work-out, and do you think it's pretty accurate about how well it judges. You hold down the button until you stop, and then you hold down again..correct? Lastly, do you somehow log what the fitbit says at the end of the day for calories, and how long I walked etc.. Any info would be great!!

Thanks~

holding down the button and starting the timer is putting it in sleep mode. Don't do that unless you are sleeping. Other wise just keep track of the time you are working out, and log that. Putting in your time will sync with your fitbit. So the calories you burned during the time you entered will go down as a work out (did that make sense) The fitbit will log everything from the day, calories walked etc. So no need to enter it.
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I used to use my fitbit all the time until it broke. When you begin to work out, hold the button it will then flash start, when you are done hold it down again and it will show stop. While you are working out if you view it you will notice that it is flashing. That is how you know it is logging it as an activity. You will do the same for when you go to bed, based on the length of your "activity" it will automatically change it to sleep. You will see that once you view the website.
    As for shutting down your computer, it can go 5 days without having to sync up, so you are safe to close your laptap. I would even travel out of the state without it as long as it was less than 5 days.
    I would say depending on your activity- when I was running or doing certain workouts I would count my fitbit but for stair climbing or bike riding it would not be as accurate. Though, since I've purchased mine, they have come out with a newer version that now tracks your floors (I believe). If you view the Fitbit website you will see that some people had the bodybugg and found that the Fitbit information was just as accurate.
    I used to wear mine in the middle of my bra with no problem when I was working out I would clamp it to my waist band. (I wouldn't wear it anywhere else during the day because my waistband would have put my out of regulations for my uniform).

I hope that answered your questions. I loved my fitbit and was pretty bummed when it broke. It broke right at the top the black cover was coming from the green part and eventually broke off.
  • teetee1281
    Options

holding down the button and starting the timer is putting it in sleep mode. Don't do that unless you are sleeping. Other wise just keep track of the time you are working out, and log that. Putting in your time will sync with your fitbit. So the calories you burned during the time you entered will go down as a work out (did that make sense) The fitbit will log everything from the day, calories walked etc. So no need to enter it.

That is another method. But holding the button WILL NOT automatically put it in sleep mode. It will assume your sleeping once you are continuously doing the activity for a long a time. Just as if you took a short nap (ie 30 mins) and pressed the button, when you view the site, it will assume that you are working out but you can change that brief nap to a sleep period. There is a tutorial on the site that can assist you this also.

I did forget to mention, I would not use it to log your weight training. That I would manually enter that activity.
  • LittleMissAngi
    Options
    I used to use my fitbit all the time until it broke. When you begin to work out, hold the button it will then flash start, when you are done hold it down again and it will show stop. While you are working out if you view it you will notice that it is flashing. That is how you know it is logging it as an activity. You will do the same for when you go to bed, based on the length of your "activity" it will automatically change it to sleep. You will see that once you view the website.
    As for shutting down your computer, it can go 5 days without having to sync up, so you are safe to close your laptap. I would even travel out of the state without it as long as it was less than 5 days.
    I would say depending on your activity- when I was running or doing certain workouts I would count my fitbit but for stair climbing or bike riding it would not be as accurate. Though, since I've purchased mine, they have come out with a newer version that now tracks your floors (I believe). If you view the Fitbit website you will see that some people had the bodybugg and found that the Fitbit information was just as accurate.
    I used to wear mine in the middle of my bra with no problem when I was working out I would clamp it to my waist band. (I wouldn't wear it anywhere else during the day because my waistband would have put my out of regulations for my uniform).

I hope that answered your questions. I loved my fitbit and was pretty bummed when it broke. It broke right at the top the black cover was coming from the green part and eventually broke off.

I have the new one and the manual said that starting the timer is sleep mood. I've must have missed something. I will read it again. I hate that they don't send one with it when I purchased it! But then again saving trees!

Why didn't you get a new one? You could email them and tell them that it broke and they might send you a new one. I saw on the forums on fitbit.com people would accidently wash theirs and fitbit would send them a new replacement for free!
  • teetee1281
    Options
    Thanks. I will try to and see. I remember when I used to use mine all the time I saw a lot of people complain in the forums about pieces of it breaking off but don't recall anyone saying they replaced it. I hope they didn't make that change that pressing it would make it sleep mood, it is a lot easier to log in a view it view having to go in and make an adjusting entry.
    I did love it when I used to use it. I'll email them and see what they will do. Thanks for the idea.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    Options
    I never saw a manual in my fitbit package. I did see how to do the stop and start when going on the fitbit site, but apparently I was doing it wrong. I guess at the end I wasn't holding it down long enough. After you press stop will it show you how many calories you burned in the start and stop work-out session?? I'm glad to hear that the fitbit is pretty accurate. I wasn't sure as last night when I did a Turbo-Fire sculpt work-out for 30 minutes I was surprised that I only burned 61 calories. I will add you LittleMissAng.

Thanks!