Apples and Peanut Butter

Options
Ok I just have to know! I feel silly for asking but I have two questions.

-Apples. They are so good and they fill me up, but are they really that good for you? They are so high in sugars and carbs it makes me not want to eat them, along with other fruit that has the same problem.

-Peanut butter. Is it okay to eat if you get the all natural stuff? Like adams peanut butter? Again, it makes me not want to eat it because its so high in fat! Is it really good fat though? I don't want to make myself thing that I have to give up everything, but These two things are some of my favorites..

Replies

• Midori_i
    Midori_i Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Apples and peanut butter are both full of good nutrients (as long as you go for peanut butter without added sugar, trans fat and all that crap, and buy organic apples if possible), and there is no reason why you shouldn't eat them as you like. Just watch your calorie budget overall. :)

Just think of all the vitamins and fiber in apples, and peanut butter gives a nice bit of protein and is very satisfying...
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Really are good for you. For a meal I eat the apple and peanut butter but for a snack i'll often eat just half cause of sugar content. You can enjoy as long as you stay under your calories for the day. Also macros if you follow that.
  • Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    Get the organic peanut butter with the oil on top, other brands contain hydrogenated fats that are unhealthy. I have an apple a day just for the fiber.
  • Kylie_Jones_2011
    Options
    Sounds good to me! I'm really watching my fat and sugar intakes closely, trying to get them as low as i can, but peanut butter is just so filling and I hate feeling hungry! Thanks for the tips guys :)
  • fuzzimama
    Options
    Mmmmm peanut butter, mmmm apples. Yep, I eat both in moderation, which MFP really helps me do (because I can SEE just how many calories there are in peanut butter). I get awesome peanut butter which you probably can't get (Pic's peanut butter, made in NZ), and its one of my snacks on a spoon. About 10g of it every couple of days. I can't bear to dilute it on bread LOL.
  • Kylie_Jones_2011
    Options
    Mmmmm peanut butter, mmmm apples. Yep, I eat both in moderation, which MFP really helps me do (because I can SEE just how many calories there are in peanut butter). I get awesome peanut butter which you probably can't get (Pic's peanut butter, made in NZ), and its one of my snacks on a spoon. About 10g of it every couple of days. I can't bear to dilute it on bread LOL.

I'll have to see if I can get it, doubtful though. And yes, I loove apples, and peanut butter! Yum :)
  • Kylie_Jones_2011
    Options
    what about fruit in general? There seems to be SO much sugar in everything! I love pineapple, canteloupe, grapes, oranges, bananas, etc.. but some of them just seem flat out bad for you
  • Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    Fructose is hardly something to worry about, your body requires it to restore glycogen stores after a gruelling workout.
  • jesscamacho
    Options
    I guess it depends on what your goals are and your energy expenditure. Yes, apples are indeed high in sugar. Fructose, glucose, sucrose... I'm personally from the belief that sugar is a sugar is a sugar. :) But, if it's in moderation enjoy that apple! I like to save fruit for dessert and I'll typically eat about half of an apple when I do enjoy it.

As for peanut butter, be sure check the ingredients label as many companies will add sugar to it. I make my own nut butters with a food processor. Though it is high in fat, fat is responsible for satiation... so it's not such a bad thing, IMO. I also like avocados and olive oils for fat. :)
  • jesscamacho
    Options
    I treat fruit like dessert. I enjoy it but I do so in limited quantities.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have a pink lady apple and PB2 everyday. An apple has 80 calories, lots of fiber and its delicious! PB2 has 45 calories for 2 tbs and it healthy!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are NOT bad for you. Here's the thing, it's not like you're just eating sugar, you're also getting loads of fiber and other essential nutrients. It's WAY different than eating something like a candy bar or a slice of white bread that has the same amount of sugar but no nutritional value.

However, if you are watching your sugar for health reasons, stick to berries for fruit, they're lowest in sugar.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I have a pink lady apple and PB2 everyday. An apple has 80 calories, lots of fiber and its delicious! PB2 has 45 calories for 2 tbs and it healthy!

^^ This is what I have the PB2 low cal and soooooo yummy!!!
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options

^^ This is what I have the PB2 low cal and soooooo yummy!!!

Is it really just peanuts, salt, and sugar? it is less fat/cals because of the lack of oils right? Does it taste ANYTHING like PB?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Apples and natural peanut butter ( sodium free Crazy Richards) Is a go to evening snack for me. Just make sure you have the cals. left at the end of the day.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I love apples and pb2! It's not exactly the same of peanut butter but it's pretty darn close and given the stats you can't get much better than that! I am not great on exercising portion control with "real" peanut butter so it's perfect for me! I'll rat the real stuff if I'm low on calories for the day... But that never happens because I have NO problem meeting my calorie goals :-/
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love apples and unsalted Adams crunchy PB, which I love pretty much for it's short ingredients list ("peanuts").
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Apples and peanut butter are fine if eaten seperately, but together.....XPLODE. :devil:
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love this as snack!! I I used the pree-measured little cups of PB because I love ut too much and would definately use too much of it...I sometimes only use 1 tablespoon of PB instead of the 2 tablespoon serving size which also keeps the fat lower. As far as the sugar in fruit....my trainer says natural fruit works different in your body compared to a candy bar. Trainer also has me stay in the range of 60-100g of sugar a day, she says it is better around 60 if I can do it....some days I do some days I dont....
    I love fruit, I also will use fruit as a treat
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Love apples and nut butter for a snack! I prefer raw cashew butter or a natural almond/cashew/peanut butter blend. I also measure it out onto my plate with my sliced apple so I don't go over with my portions. I, too, would use too much of it otherwise.