The Ultimate Vegan Protein Thread

Options
I've noticed some threads lately about vegan protein sources - I give you the Vegan Protein Bible. Don't assume that this list is just for vegans - they are great for "Meatless Monday" menus, or just for anyone looking to add a little variety to their diet!

ribz.jpg

1. Seitan: If you're not gluten-intolerant, seitan is da bomb dot com. Affectionately dubbed "wheat meat", an 85g serving of seitan packs 90 calories, 1g of fat, and 18g of protein (for those of you keeping track, this is pretty comparable to most MFP listings for the same amount of grilled chicken breast).

Even though I have cut meat from my diet, I'll be the first to say it: meat is delicious. I know, I know, a vegan saying that meat is delicious? I just call it like I see it, man - just do me a favor and don't tell PETA. That's where seitan comes in - with a chewy, toothsome texture, seitan lends itself well to a variety of dishes, from being "chunked" in a stew, to the stuffed star of a vegan Thanksgiving feast. Just look at that sample picture - all the deliciousness of ribs, easy on your conscience (and waistline!)

Seitan is easy to make at home (not to mention that vital wheat gluten is mad cheap on Amazon), but you can also pick up prepared seitan at the grocery store.

If You Only Try One Seitan Recipe, Try This: Seitan Roast Stuffed with Shiitakes and Leeks over at www.theppk.com.

300px-Sliced_tempeh.jpg

2. Tempeh: Tempeh is a little higher fat and calorie option than seitan, but it is probably my favorite on this list. You wouldn't know it from listening to what it is (fermented soy cake), but it has a very nutty and savory flavor (I've been known to microwave a serving and slap it on a roll - bam, chickenless burger). Trader Joe's makes an incredible 3-grain tempeh. One half of the 8oz. package contains 240 calories, 11g fat and 20g protein. BBQ tempeh was the very first dish my boyfriend ever cooked for me, so maybe that's why it has a special place in my heart.

The vegan community is pretty fond of tempeh in its reuben sandwiches, but I am pretty fond of it all the time.

If You Only Try One Tempeh Recipe, Try This: Tempeh Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato ("TLT") Sandwiches at www.blog.fatfreevegan.com

2639_easy_baked_tofu.jpg

3. Tofu: I think out of all the foods in the world, tofu has the worst reputation. "It's slimy," they say. "It jiggles!" Most people who aren't into tofu have just probably never prepared it right. Someone once tried to justify their hate for tofu to me by telling me that it didn't taste good "straight out of the package". Well duh, neither does chicken breast. You have to marinate the tofu, drain the tofu, love the tofu. I promise, it's worth it. Don't be scared - I'm here for you.

I'm one of those freaks that likes tofu out of the package (sprinkled into a salad with roasted beets and almonds? Giiiiiirl.), but tofu really is just a blank canvas waiting to be transformed. Tofu can be used for nuggets, stir fries, tofu-ricotta cheese, blended up in smoothies, made into tasty chocolate pudding, or really anything else you can think of. It comes in three different forms: silken, soft, and firm, with the silken being used for smoothies and such, and the firm being used for stir-fries and nuggets.

100g of firm tofu has 70 calories, 4g fat and 8g protein.

If You Only Try One Tofu Recipe, Try This: Blackened Scrambled Tofu & Garlicky Grits from www.theppk.com (Can you tell I have a girl crush on this blog?)

60061b.jpg

4. Meat Replacements: I'm all for a whole-foods approach to food, but that's not to say that you can't ever indulge in some processed goodness. A quick trip down your frozen foods aisle will open up a world of veggie burgers, "chicken" strips, veggie crumbles, and pretty much anything else your little heart desires.

Meat replacements vary by brand, but my favorite for backyard BBQs is the Boca Vegan Patty, which has 100 calories, 1g fat and 19g protein per patty. They're so delicious, sometimes I even have two.

Honorable Mentions:
The following mentions don't pack as much of a protein punch as the first four, but they are still worth adding to your diet!

1. Beans & Legumes: Black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas and all the rest are tasty additions to soups, stews, and burritos, or just mixed with rice and veggies. One cup of black beans contains 227 calories, 1g fat, 41g carbs and 15g protein.

2. Protein Powder: When I'm not living in China, I use a blend of gemma pea and brown rice protein from trueprotein.com - it winds up being 118 calories and 24.5g protein per scoop. Don't be afraid to supplement, or add this to oatmeal, smoothies, whatever.

3. Almond Butter: I'm not suggesting that people rely on nut butters (heh heh, nut butter) for their protein intake, but adding 1-2 tablespoons to smoothies, breakfast cereals or oatmeal can boost the protein content of any meal, if you have the room in your calories to do it. Two tablespoons of almond butter contains 190 calories and 6g of protein.

Please feel free to add anything I may have forgotten!

Replies

• vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
    Oh... my... Gosh...

I'm bumping the hell outta this.
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am trying to make vegan meals more often, though I am no where close to being 100% vegan as you said, meat is delicious. But I have cut my consumption of animal products about 50%. I tried Morning Star Veggie Corndogs the other day, and I have to say, they're better than regular corn dogs (and they don't make you feel like you have a brick in your stomach).

I go to a Publix and sometimes it's hard to find Vegan items, they have a mini section in the frozen food and vegetable isle, but that's about it.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You're a badass!

So glad you accepted my friend request. Thank you for this post!

6921816.png
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Lentils! One cup is 230 calories and 18 grams of protein. Plus, add some onion, garlic, smoked paprika, and spinach and you have the yummiest, healthiest meal EVER.

Mushrooms also have a surprising amount of protein for their calorie amount. For two cups diced portabellos, you have 44 calories and 4 grams of protein.

Most veggies have more protein than we may think. A stalk of broccoli has 98 calories and 7 grams of protein!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I just had an email discussion with Ginny Messina, author of 'Vegan for Life.' She's an RD with a very evidence-based nutritional science bent, so she is far from the queen of trendy. She said she is writing a blog entry on weight loss for the New Year here: TheVeganRd.com

She suggested upping my protein through protein powders, since I find it hard to break 50 grams of protein while eating 1200 calories. So, I am definitely ordering that protein powder you suggest. Any flavor/sweetening you would recommend? I notice they custom blend everything. I would be using it in a smoothie, or possibly protein balls.

BTW, that seitan and tempeh looks amazing!!
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am transitioning to vegan from being pescetarian for the past 5 months- so thank you for this post!

I use Garden of Life's RAW protein powder as my post-workout protein supplement. 1 scoop is 80 calories with 16-18g of protein (I forget the exact amount). It has NO SWEETENERS at all, not even Stevia, which I like. I tend to blend it with silken tofu for a nice texture and even more protein. Apparently Shakeology is coming out with a vegan version in the next couple of months too; I'll probably check that out too.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    OMG TOFU SCRAMBLE is where its at! I was VEGAN for a long time and i still love SoySauge lol
  • murrow1105
    murrow1105 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bumped :)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Boca burgers really gross me out (probably because I found a moldy stinky one once...)lol.
    But everything else looks awesome! Thanks for the tips I've been having a ridiculously hard time getting enough protein!

<3
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing, I was just googling vegetarian main dishes and looking for good proteins. You rock!!! :flowerforyou:

Sláinte
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If God did not intend for us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

lol
    Seriously, I love threads like this, because I enjoy information on alternative protein sources.
  • RhondaRowsell
    RhondaRowsell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My son is 15 and has been vegetarian for 4 years, he convinced 2 of my younger kids and me to go vegetarian a few months ago. We have 11 people in our family so making yummy meals that the other 7 don't notice are meat free is a priority. Your recipe suggestions look delicious.
  • olytri2012
    Options
    bump
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Great stuff!
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Gardien burgers yet? They are sooo good! I like pretty much all the Gardien products, plus my local Target carries them.
  • Destinie589
    Options
    Thanks! Great post. My new years resolution is to transition from vegetarian to vegan. This is very helpful!
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I might just have to try a couple of your ideas. They sound delicious!!!
  • chrisandrews75
    chrisandrews75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Very handy thanks. I do eat meat, but can't tollerate dairy or eggs (a vegan carnivore? :)) So vegan resources are often my friend.