HRM

Options
Just have to say i used my Polar F6 today and i am soooooooo glad i bought this. The calories on the machines at they gym are far from being accurate. When i saw the numbers tonight it pushed me even harder and i actually spent an hour on the elliptical. So any that ask the question are they worth it? HELL YEA best investment i have bought in a very long time...:bigsmile:

Replies

• sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just have to say i used my Polar F6 today and i am soooooooo glad i bought this. The calories on the machines at they gym are far from being accurate. When i saw the numbers tonight it pushed me even harder and i actually spent an hour on the elliptical. So any that ask the question are they worth it? HELL YEA best investment i have bought in a very long time...:bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I agree! I love my Polar F6!!! :bigsmile:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    How did the calories compare? Did you do more or less than the machine?

My Timex tells me that most of the time I do more than the machine. Must admit that it's also showing up on the scale, so perhaps it's right. But still wary....
  • sassyredgirl
    Options
    Mine were much lower on the hrm than on the machine we are talking like 40 calories difference which is huge thats food. lol I thought it was alot of money to spend but now after seeing that im glad i spent the money. The chest strap is so comfy i never knew i had it on I love this watch...
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I have found that I workout more because I want to see the calorie count for what I have burned go up, up, up! :laugh:
  • osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree. I find mine so incredibly motivating. I want to log more numbers, so it keeps me moving. It also lets me see when I've recovered enough to hit myself hard again if I'm doing some interval training. Love it!
  • osmium
    Options
    Oh, and I've found mine to be variable compared to the machine. On some the HRM is higher and on others much much lower.

I compared it to my pedometer today. Pedometer 314 cal and HRM 253 - big difference :-)
  • sassyredgirl
    Options
    Yea them are the kind of numbers im talking about. that is huge and can be mis leading. I was logging more calories according to the machine and was ok with that but now with my hrm i know what im burning and like all of you it makes me work harder to burn more calories and raise my heart rate which i never worried about before..
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    I just bought one online, I can't wait for it to get here.
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I've been telling everyone I know about mine!!! My calorie count was completely off when I was just guestimating. It completely changes everything when you know exactly what you're burning!
  • sassyredgirl
    Options
    I just bought one online, I can't wait for it to get here.
    You are going to love it. My first night using it and i adore it...
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    WOW, the price
  • sassyredgirl
    Options
    WOW, the price
    I bought mine off of ebay for 99 delivered.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    For mine, I don't enter my age to get the calorie/HR info - only my current weight and some goal info. Do you enter the age for the Polar F6?

Just curious how this compares.
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this website:smile:
    My name is Karen. I have been going to the gym Monday-Friday, ( I do the treadmill, cardio and walk in the pool) since Oct.07 I lost 35 pounds but then I started eating alot more then I should, I am looking at getting a hrm, I think I want the strapless kind for those of you that have one with the strap, is it hard to use?

Thanks

Karen
  • MissResa
    Options
    For mine, I don't enter my age to get the calorie/HR info - only my current weight and some goal info. Do you enter the age for the Polar F6?

Just curious how this compares.

For the F6, you have to enter in your age, weight, and sex. I absolutely love mine, and think it was worth every penny. I also asked about a billion people for feedback on theirs before purchasing it, and this was the one that was recommended the most and had the best responses...
  • osmium
    Options
    I am so glad I found this website:smile:
    My name is Karen. I have been going to the gym Monday-Friday, ( I do the treadmill, cardio and walk in the pool) since Oct.07 I lost 35 pounds but then I started eating alot more then I should, I am looking at getting a hrm, I think I want the strapless kind for those of you that have one with the strap, is it hard to use?

Thanks

Karen

I don't even notice the strap, it's very comfy and sits right on the bra line for me. I'm still wearing mine from this morning's workout. The HRM with the straps are more accurate.

Don't forget to take your resting calories off your HRM number before you log your exercise! Mine is about 70cal / hour
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you, osmium for the fast reply, I have a big wrist how big is the ladies band for the polar f6

Thanks

Karen
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, doing 30 minutes of a good run on the tread mill, it reads somewhere around 575 calories (which is way high for that), and my HRM will call it about 400 to 425. That's a pretty big difference!

Also remember, HRM's (at least Polars) don't subtract your normal metabolic calories, it's important to not add those as if you do an hour, that's between 80 and 140 calories (depending on your daily calorie expendature)
    So for most women, I would subtract about 80 or 90 calories (or more if your bigger) from what you burn on a machine (I know, it sucks, but wouldn't you rather be accurate?)
  • MissResa
    Options
    SHBoss... Are you saying that when I use my F6, I need to subtract at leat 80 from the number it tells me I burn? So if it says that I burned, say, 700 calories in an hour, then I would really only be burning 620? Sometimes I just don't get all the technical stuff...