Body Composition

Options
I weight myself everyday (I know controverial but it works for me). I also monitor % body fat and muscle. I've notice in recent weeks that as my weight is going down, my body fat is going UP and muscle is going DOWN. Not what I wanted (except the weight part of course). So what am I doing wrong? I work out 5-6 days a week approx 60 mins each time alternating days with straight cardio and 30 min cardio w/ 30 min strength training (combination of machines and free weights). I eat between 1000 - 1200 calories a day total (I don't eat my exercise calories). So am I a victim of too much exercise and too little food? Help!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Definitely way way waaaaaay too little food. 1000-1200 is very low even as net calories, and crazy low after an hour of exercise.

With only 11 pounds until you reach your goal (as per your ticker) you should be eating to lose a half pound a week, which would be 250 calories below your maintenance, plus most of your exercise calories.

Your weight might fluctuate a little when you increase your calories. That's normal. Just continue to monitor your measurements and how your clothes fit.
  • cathie2903
    cathie2903 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Definitely way way waaaaaay too little food. 1000-1200 is very low even as net calories, and crazy low after an hour of exercise.

With only 11 pounds until you reach your goal (as per your ticker) you should be eating to lose a half pound a week, which would be 250 calories below your maintenance, plus most of your exercise calories.

Your weight might fluctuate a little when you increase your calories. That's normal. Just continue to monitor your measurements and how your clothes fit.

Absolutly agree with LOrinaLynn. You need to feed your body so it can relax and lose some of the fat its holding on to due to the high level of exercise and low calorie intake.
    Try eating back half (ish) of your exercise cals and see how that goes.
    I must admit that when i started this i couldnt get to grips with the increase calories being a good thing..but once i started exercising and eating more the weight has come off fairly steadily at about .5 to 1lb per week. I also try to only weigh myself once a week (Friday morning when i get up) - if i do it more often i find my weight fluctuates through the week and if it goes up - it gets me down!!
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your body is zapping your muscle tissue for fuel because it is not getting enough fuel from food calories.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you already know the answer to this question.
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I experienced the same thing. I started eating a LOT of protein, and I gained a pound, but my body fat percentage went down. I was very happy to gain that pound of muscle!
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. I get caught in this periodically and keep hoping for a different answer. When I was 300+ lbs I would have loved someone telling me to eat more! Now its hard to eat just because I need the fuel. I have a nightmare that I'll wake up one morning and will have inflated like one of those emergency rafts! LOL! Maybe higher calories for the same volume? What do you think of that? 1 or 2% milk instead of non-fat? Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt (both non-fat)? Any other ideas?
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1000 - 1200 calories a day total (I don't eat my exercise calories). So am I a victim of too much exercise and too little food? Help!

I believe you have answered your own question right here. Eat your exercise calories, at least most of them. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but our bodies need fuel for fat loss.

Give it a try. At least for a good four weeks. if you don't like your results, you can always go back to what you were doing.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. I get caught in this periodically and keep hoping for a different answer. When I was 300+ lbs I would have loved someone telling me to eat more! Now its hard to eat just because I need the fuel. I have a nightmare that I'll wake up one morning and will have inflated like one of those emergency rafts! LOL! Maybe higher calories for the same volume? What do you think of that? 1 or 2% milk instead of non-fat? Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt (both non-fat)? Any other ideas?

High density foods are a great idea. full fat cheese, avocado, nuts. I find you can make a fruit smoothie that packs a good 300-400 calories with a banana, berries, almond milk, and protein powder (I like to add chia seeds too).

You got this!
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options