totally non weight related

Options
molsongirl
molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
I'm wondering if anyone has ever used botox for the treatment of migraines. My doctor convinced me to give it a try, years, of meds, accupuncture, meditation..just doesn't work...so I just had it done this morning, temple area and upper forhead, but i've got a serious headache right now from the treatment, is this normal? can't really understand why I would do a preventative treatment when it actually gives me a headache, seems to defeat the purpose.

Replies

• molsongirl
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone has ever used botox for the treatment of migraines. My doctor convinced me to give it a try, years, of meds, accupuncture, meditation..just doesn't work...so I just had it done this morning, temple area and upper forhead, but i've got a serious headache right now from the treatment, is this normal? can't really understand why I would do a preventative treatment when it actually gives me a headache, seems to defeat the purpose.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have never had it done. But one of my best friends does....and yeah you will have a headache for maybe 2 days....she does...also depends on the batch they had......you will likely be fine in a couple days.......plus you won't have funny faces! :noway:
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I never did try it, but my mother in law did. She said it hurt the first few days, then the migraines would go away for a few weeks, and the last few weeks until she could get more injections the pain was just as awful as before. However, sometimes it didn't work at all, and she could only have it done every 3 months. After about 1.5 years it completely stopped blocking pain at all so she stopped the botox treatments. I would do a lot of research and make sure you are completely comfortable with all the possible side effects from long term use at some point.
    I hope it gives you some relief. Migraines suck. Good luck.
  • molsongirl
    Options
    That's a relief, I thought I was having a freakish allergic reaction :laugh: ...I didn't have it injected where it will do too much to me cosmetically, it will rid my forehead of the few frown lines or as I understand it, freeze the muscle so the lines appear reduced, but it's supposed to help relieve the muscle tension associated with migraines...this is yet to be seen, my insurance covered it, so that was a bonus, in case it doesn't work :ohwell: