I have no idea how to get started

tneiba
tneiba Posts: 8 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
So I posted earlier about my binging and I realized that it really WAS emotional. I was really stressed out this week due to midterms and I couldn't get in any exercising since I was so busy studying and stressing. As this is the case, I looked back and I realized that I have been binging for about 2 weeks straight due to this. I've gained about 8-10lbs back and I realized it has to stop NOW!

But the thing is, I don't know how to get started again. I want to pretend like I'm starting all over again but I don't really remember how I got started in the past. So now I'm afraid that if I go too low immediately, I'll start binging again. Also, I haven't exercised in about two weeks. I used to be able to run for one hour straight (at a slow 5.0mph though..) but I feel like my binging and non exercise has killed any fitness in me.

So how should I get started again? Start walking? Start at 1200 calories? I'm just scared that anything I do might trigger another binging episode but I think I should be kinda ok since my stress triggers are technically over. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear your opinion! :D

Replies

• tneiba
    tneiba Posts: 8 Member
    So I posted earlier about my binging and I realized that it really WAS emotional. I was really stressed out this week due to midterms and I couldn't get in any exercising since I was so busy studying and stressing. As this is the case, I looked back and I realized that I have been binging for about 2 weeks straight due to this. I've gained about 8-10lbs back and I realized it has to stop NOW!

But the thing is, I don't know how to get started again. I want to pretend like I'm starting all over again but I don't really remember how I got started in the past. So now I'm afraid that if I go too low immediately, I'll start binging again. Also, I haven't exercised in about two weeks. I used to be able to run for one hour straight (at a slow 5.0mph though..) but I feel like my binging and non exercise has killed any fitness in me.

So how should I get started again? Start walking? Start at 1200 calories? I'm just scared that anything I do might trigger another binging episode but I think I should be kinda ok since my stress triggers are technically over. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear your opinion! :D
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

that is how I started...just walking,,,,walks got longer, dog got tired, started drinkin more water...started cutting out sugar....quit eating junk,,,,before you know it I am a stud...start walkin and drinkin the 8 a day...it is amazing what simple ol water will do for ya
    good luck
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,138 Member

:flowerforyou: I got started again recently by planning my meals for a day (three meals and a snack) and sticking to the plan. I tried to add a little more exercise that day. the next day I did the same thing. I did it one day at a time for a week before I started paying better attention to portion size. Then I started listing my meals on MFP. doin things one day at a time with baby step improvements has worked for me. I celebrate my success with a sticker on the calendar and kind words to myself.

good luck you can do it you are not alone :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Seems like you have two issues: One is how to deal with stress in a different way and two is how to get back on track.

The stress thing might be as easy as making sure you do some deep breathing exercises when you feel like curling up with a bag of chips, or taking a hot bath, or yoga, or guided imagery, meditation, going for a walk, breaking down the task before you (which may seem overwhelming) in to more managable chunks, and/or positive self talk/affirmations. In short, there are a lot of options short of medication for anxiety or depression.

Regarding how to get back on track with your eating/exercise. What were you doing before the binge? One thing that works for me is to act like I DIDN"T just start, but I've been doing something for a long time. The old "fake it til you make it" principle. Mainly, don't beat yourself up. Instead of saying, "How stupid I am for binging," or something like that, you say, "That's not like me." "I really enjoy eating fresh, healthy food that is well prepared, tastes good, and is good for me." So, basically, you turn your negative self talk into an affirmation by turning it inside out. Make sense?:huh: The main thing is, you have been doing this, so you KNOW what to do. Good Luck!!!:bigsmile:
  • I can identify with stress eating, and letting a hectic life get in the way of taking care of myself...I do that! as far as getting started , just tackle it like you would any assignment. Start at the beginning, and plan it into your day.

I'm a list maker so I do better if I make a meal plan for at least five days. Thinking that far out about what I'm going to eat takes away that panicky feeling about whether or not I'll have time, or get what I want, or feel satisfied, or like I'm denying myself.

As for binging, or stress eating, you have to look at what your triggers are (for me its snacking in the car when I'm running around....leads to cheeseburgers or tacos if I'm not careful) so I keep a granola bar in my purse, and if I know I'm going to be running errands, some apple slices or carrot sticks. For me its easier to recognize the patterns and think of ways I can make healthier choices.

I wouldn't worry so much about exactly how many calories, as I would just start keeping track. knowing you have to put it in the Food Diary will help make you think twice before you choose something not great for you.

If you can't do an hour run anymore start with fifteen or twenty minutes....and every few days add a few more minutes to your workout. You'll get your stamina back in no time.
This discussion has been closed.