Sodium in soup

Options
Not feeling well today, so thinking of making it a soup day. . I love Lipton Soup Secrets on days like this, but they're rather high in sodium. . Is there a way to cut out some of the sodium? And no, making my own soup doesn't work, a) not a homemaker like that and b) at work, no stove.

I'm wondering if decanting quite a bit of the broth off would help. . .

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Good question!
    I find that even the low sodium canned soups have high sodium!
    I do not think that decanting would help?
    I would go the other way and add water. Increase the volume but add no sodium. This will give you 2 - 3 servings out of one and reduce the sodium. Downside is reduced flavor and calories!

Another thought: Buy pre-cleaned & cut veggies at your grocery store and add along with the extra water. You will probably want to microwave the veggies with some water first to give them a little "cooking" but after that you could increase the volume & calories while reducing the sodium and not totally diluting the taste? Note: Never done this my self. I like cooking and make my own soups in the crock pot when I have a taste for some soup.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    wasn't sure where most of the sodium would be, figured the broth, so removing some would help, but what I'm going to do is add extra broth, and then give doggies a specialt reat with the leftovers :)
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i was checking out the health food store the other day, and they have quite a range of bulk seasonings etc. Chicken broth was there also. reduced sodium. you could add a block of froz spinich, or some rinsed canned veg.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just drink some extra water if you are worried about water retention.