stupid plateau

Options
2»

Replies

• katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I need to drop these 21lbs...then concentrate on toning. Yea...I want to see the 1 and 5 on the scale :)
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Since I've seen a couple people posting in here, a plateau is defined as at least 6 weeks with no change. You can't have a plateau for a week.

As for getting out of a plateau, it's simple. Figure out what you're doing wrong. Take a real, objective look at everything. You're either not exercising as intensely, not tracking food as accurately, or some combination of both. Also, have you adjusted for the weight you've lost? Metabolism is a constantly changing thing, you need to make sure you're constantly adjusting in order to make sure you are keeping a caloric deficit.

Finally, how long have you been in deficit for? An extended time in caloric deficit (several months in a row) causes your hormones to respond by adjusting your metabolism to match your net caloric intake, remember the body is always fighting for homeostasis, it's designed to store fat, not lose fat, so you have to remember to increase your food intake and eat at maintenance for a few weeks or a month every couple months or so, in order to reset your hormonal responses and your metabolism.

^ Seriously this needs to be stickied. Great reply. Read this and let it sink in y'all.

AGREED!! This needs to be stickied!! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    At a loss of 53.2 lbs since July...and the last 7 days the scale has been at .2 up and then down...161.8..161.4..161.8...161.2....HELP! Ill open the diary to everyone...

Ive been told do cardio intervals...do strength training...up the cals by 100 for a few days. Other thoughts?
    Thinking of taking the weekend (next 2 days) and sticking to veggies, fruits, lean meats, eggs and cheese...and seeing if it breaks me thru. Any other thoughts? Thanks!
    Not a plateau. Plateaus consist of no weight loss after consistently being in deficit for 6 weeks or more. It's a stall. Just continue on a consistent basis for 2 weeks. If no change, then the first thing to change is exercise and stick with the same program for at least 2 weeks to see if there's a change. Then reassess.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    At a loss of 53.2 lbs since July...and the last 7 days the scale has been at .2 up and then down...161.8..161.4..161.8...161.2....HELP! Ill open the diary to everyone...

Ive been told do cardio intervals...do strength training...up the cals by 100 for a few days. Other thoughts?
    Thinking of taking the weekend (next 2 days) and sticking to veggies, fruits, lean meats, eggs and cheese...and seeing if it breaks me thru. Any other thoughts? Thanks!
    Not a plateau. Plateaus consist of no weight loss after consistently being in deficit for 6 weeks or more. It's a stall. Just continue on a consistent basis for 2 weeks. If no change, then the first thing to change is exercise and stick with the same program for at least 2 weeks to see if there's a change. Then reassess.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Very helpful info. Thank you, ninerbuff!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options

weigh yourself once a week
    seems like you're getting frustrated with NORMAL weight fluctuations (apparently weighing yourself everyday)
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Try dropping your carbs to under 100 grams for a few days....I did and it worked and then read up a bit on it and found out it was very natural and primal to eat carbs below 100.

Body isn't meant to digest grains, carbs sinple or complex.....food for thought.

Up your fats and protein.
  • mydubstyle
    mydubstyle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Kat
    Forgive me for this being my first post but I wanted to provide some input to the discussion. I also hit a plateau a few weeks ago when i was at 30lbs lost. I read all kinds of info that in a way prepared me for when i did hit that plateau. What I did was increas my calorie by 15% and increases my work out by 15%. It was also very important to try and trick your body into thinking things are stable again. What I also did was since i didn't want to not work out for 3 days was I did a 5am workout on a Thursday. From then my next work out was Saturday Evening at 5pm. Since my workouts consisted of Only running so instead of my 45min run I ran 30min and did 30min elyptical. I have to ad something different to my routine just to wake my muscles up that thought running was too easy.

I have to say it worked. One week of 15% cal and 15% cardio helped me to start losing again. Intensity is key, dont worry about what you can eat for the extra 15% as i'm sure it can come naturaly with adjusting just your daily intake.

Cheers and good luck!!