lose skin

Options
So I have only lost a little over 40 pounds so far but i was just wondering for those that have lost 100+ pounds if they have lot's of loose skin and if so what they did with it or planning on doing. I know it can take a while for the skin to go back to normal after losing a lot of weight but I am wondering if I should look into other alternatives after I lose another 140 pounds.

ETA. Can't correct the spelling the topic. Might just make a new one. =)

Replies

• danmoffett
    Options
    You look like a young man. The lose skin should reabsorb, it just takes a while. It's the fat under the skin that is the problem. It's the last to go.
    I'm now 57 years old. I've lost 145 pounds in the past 21 months. I don't have a lot of lose skin, just a little around the middle that is tightening up.
    I believe the key is to lose weight slowly, no more than 2 to 2 1/2 pounds per week.
    Another thing that has helped me greatly is rebounding.
    NASA and the USAF did a study and found that rebounding is the best exercise devised by man.
    It really helps tighten up the lose skin. I try and jump for a few minutes several times a day.
    It's FUN, like jumping on the bed when you were a kid but without getting yelled at.
    Don't bother with the cheap walmart rebounders. I recommend the Belicon or a Jumpsport.

I was outgrowing a 52" waste, now down to a 34 and still falling. I hope to get down to a 32 soon.
    From a 4X shirt to a medium now.

Congrats on the weight loss. Don't worry too much about the lose skin, it will go away.

Dan
  • petergarcia82
    petergarcia82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dan. That is good to hear. I check out the rebounding items you posted. I hope that since I am only loosing 2 pounds most week that my Skin will not have that much of an issue. I guess we will see. I would rather have lot's of loose skin than all this extra weight anyway. =)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I may be the exception to the rule but am posting anyway. I have lost 288 lbs. and have another 20 ish to good before I will be getting the first of atleast 2 surgeries. When you stretch your skin out as bad as I have there is no amount of toning that will make it go away. My doctor is looking at close to 30 lbs. of skin removal when it is all said an done. Everyone situation is going to be different, I do recommended losing the weight slowly ( 1 to 2 lbs. a week) and make sure you are working in toning exercises as you lose, it helps quite a bit.... Goodluck........
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Too many people get concerned about loose skin. Far more concerned than they should.

Keys to minimizing loose skin:
    1. Lift weights/do resistance training
    2. Eat a high protein diet which is protein sparing
    3. Take a multi-vitamin
    4. Drink plenty of water
    5. Don't lose too fast.

Age, genetics, and total fat has to do with loose skin.

Most people think they have loose skin simply don't understand that fat becomes really jiggly and loose before it goes away and the skin will tighten up if they get really low body fat. I have some wrinkling around my belly button, but plenty of belly fat left to lose before I say it's loose skin.
  • petergarcia82
    Options
    Thanks sublog. It's not at all that I am concerned. I just wanted to know what other people had to deal with. Like I said I would rather lots of loose skin than being overweight and unhealthy. I like your tips so I will keep those in mind. Thanks for your feedback
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    2. Eat a high protein diet which is protein sparing

What does this mean?
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I posted a blog about my loose skin with some pics, if you want to see what losing the weight your looking to lose fast can look like. Overall it's alot healthier to be at a lower weight with the loose skin than being obese without the loose skin. It has gotten better with weight training. I started out a 62 pants and now wear a 36 very comfortably almost to a 34". I have lost it all since January 2011. I drink lots of water, exercise religiously, and have upped my protein quite a bit as of late.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jhardenbergh
  • MelissaWI
    MelissaWI Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am very glad I came across this post. I have lost 74 pounds and still have a good 60 to go before I am no longer considered over weight. I have noticed my skin is starting to look really funny in my belly area and inner thighs like hanging...And my boobs seem to be deflating a little.. lol... But my belly still has a great deal of weight that needs to be lost there, so I am hoping I am in the middle still and that will resolve a bit and it is indeed just the fat under the skin that is causing it... It kinda looks like a prune lol.. I feel a bit better now... Going to start some toning stuff to and hope that helps.
  • petergarcia82
    Options
    thanks for the info jhardenbergh. Glad you were fine taking pics and sharing.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    You know I was a little nervous about it. I was hiding under my clothes for years. I am a lot more comfortable with my shirt off after posting those pics.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have some loose skin, but I prefer that to being over 300lbs. I'm giving my body another couple years to see what happens with muscle building and toning etc then I'll decide If I need surgery, but age, genetics all play a role and some people bounce back better than others. I say just take it one step at a time and decide later what needs to be done!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    So I have only lost a little over 40 pounds so far but i was just wondering for those that have lost 100+ pounds if they have lot's of loose skin and if so what they did with it or planning on doing. I know it can take a while for the skin to go back to normal after losing a lot of weight but I am wondering if I should look into other alternatives after I lose another 140 pounds.

i lost 110. the vast majority of the skin shrunk. there is a tiny bit left on my stomach, which is visible only when i am doing pushups. perhaps i should just stop doing pushups. just kidding, lol.

basically, it just means that i will not have a visible six pack unless i gain a lot of muscle. this is such a small problem that i don't care about it much. how do i look in a bathing suit? pretty decent, and i think i can improve that even more. i sure look much better than i did when i was obese.

still continuing to tone.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Lose it slow and eat healthy and take time. It can take 2 years for it to tighten up. I have a friend who lost about 100 at the age of 35 and he has no loose skin.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I previously lost 90lbs, the loose skin was worse at first, but after a couple years it tightened up quite a bit. Especially since I wasn't actively doing anything to get rid of it.

This time, once I am at goal, I plan to get my body fat percentage down more and continuing to weight train and tone while drinking lots of water for at least 2 years before I even consider and form of surgery.
  • Germerican_Ang
    Options
    Will this affect someone in the stomach area thats looking to lose around 30? Im 160 and wanna get down to 130!
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have lost 80 lbsw and I understand the skin. Best tip I can give is to lube up your skin once your first out of the shower...Head to toe! It helps.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    After reading the posts i found the ones that state it can take up to 2 years to tighten up? So there is hope for me and the rest of us? I have so much loose skin right now I could make a mini-me out of it all!
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    A while ago someone posted about a "dry-brush technique" that will supposedly help (but is by no means a magic solution) for loose skin. Basically its just gently brushing your skin with a flat brush 2-3 times a day. The technique was created by a nurse in a burn ward to help promote the growth of new skin cells. As simple and non-invasive as this technique is...I will certainly be trying it in the new year.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    After reading the posts i found the ones that state it can take up to 2 years to tighten up? So there is hope for me and the rest of us? I have so much loose skin right now I could make a mini-me out of it all!

There is definitely hope!! You just went through a HUGE change and your skin (and fat cells under it) need time to catch up! If you give it two years, lots of water, and strength training you will see a huge improvement. It may not be perfect, but it will be better!! Moisturise, dry brush, look up collagen promoting supplements even! Like I said, mine firmed up a lot and without really trying, I kick myself now for not really working on it back then... My plan when I get to goal is to make toning and skin tightening my new long-term goal!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

I have loose skin after losing 150lbs - it totally blows and I am considering plastic surgery to have it fixed. My only suggestion is take it really slow (weight loss wise) and do weights.