Healthy Mexican Choices

Going to get Mexican for lunch today - I need ideas on what to choose that will not break the calorie bank...I don't like green peppers which seems to be in a lot of dishes...This is a small local place so no nutritional info is available.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    What about fajitas? Not too greasy and you can get your veggies in! Avoid guacamole :(
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I love me some Mexican food, but I'm little help, but try and not eat too many chips - those calories add up quick! And no cheese topped things and nothing fried is my guess. Hopefully someone can help you out though.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I think mexican and healthy is an oxymoron, Just don't go together. I would just get what you like and worry about it tomorrow or find somewhere else to go.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    I do fajitas alot since I can control what I eat in it (it's not all mixed up like other dishes) or, I order a taco salad (usually chicken, but beef is fine too!), and nix the starchy things like the fried shell or chips. Don't be afraid to ask the waiter what is on a dish, it is their job to tell you!! I used to be weird about it until my husband made a waiter come back so I could ask him everything I wanted to. . . most of the time, they are completely attentive to your needs!!!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Personally when I do mexican I tend to veer towards burrito bowls, fajitas, or fish tacos (sure it has a tortilla, but fish is healthy, right?). I always get extra veggies added, leave off the cheese, and add guacamole (it has quite a few calories, but it's tasty and has the right kind of fats). Other things you might want to look for are carnitas, barbacoa, and black beans. Skip the rice and chips.
  • You might could find a Mexican restaurant that serves whole wheat tortillas (one close to my house has their fish tacos served in whole wheat tortillas). An old Weight Watchers trick is to drink a cup of coffee - coffee & chips don't taste good together.

I second the fajitas - you can pick & choose what goes into your mouth since it's not all mixed up (ie., skipping the rice)
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 782 Member
    I usually have the tortilla soup with no cheese. It is usually a lot of good veggies with a a little chicken and a few tortilla strips
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    I think mexican and healthy is an oxymoron, Just don't go together. I would just get what you like and worry about it tomorrow or find somewhere else to go.

I have to agree with this. I love Mexican and usually give myself a break when I go out for it. Mainly because I think it turns into a situation where you try to get something healthier or less fattening, but it ends up being almost as bad as what I really wanted to get. It's like the chicken sandwich or the salad that is just as bad as the getting a burger. So I may as well eat what I want within reason.
  • I like making chili. I usually use beans, corn, peppers (you can nix the green peppers if you don't like them!) onions, tomatoes and tomato paste. I through some chili powder and jalapenos in there, too. I realllyyy enjoy spicy food. And spicy food helps burn calories. :D If you want you could probably throw some ground turkey in there too for some meaty protein. I also make sure if I get anything canned it's low sodium.

Buuut if you're going out, Mexican usually isn't the best to get. Which is highly disappointing, but true. I guess the usual eating out rules apply. I try to make sure it's grilled or boiled, not fried or greasy. Switch sour cream for guacamole. Light on the cheese. Lean meats. Yeah I'm just rambling off now.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Soft tacos (mexico city style)! They are typically on a con tortilla in a more traditional place. Basically meat, salsa and sometimes beans with onions and cilantro. Very healthy, as long you choose the right meat. Try chicken or steak or stewed pork (chile verde). You can pick black beans or whole beans instead of refried. You can have one taco for typically around 200-350 calories -- depending on if there are beans. The corn tortilla has 3-5 grams of fiber, and about 40 calories per tortilla. So the biggest calories are from the beans and meat. If you have a taco with beans, that is easily 10 grams of fiber. Lots of places give you two tortillas, so you can split it up into 2 tacos.

This is my favorite option, it is super filling and high in fiber. Add extra salsa for more nutrition.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    One more healthy choice at mexican restaurants: ceviche! It is a seafood cocktail basically. Marinated fish in lime juice, cilantro, onion, tomato, sometimes fruit. Very low calorie, and healthy.