A question for runners

Options
Do you listen to music while you run outside? Why or why not?

Replies

• geminigirl1979
    geminigirl1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't get the opportunity to run outside very often (usually have the boys and have to do it on the treadmill), but I definitely take music, for the distraction. If I'm focused on the music, I don't focus as much on how far I've gone, how far I've still got to go, how out of breath I am....
  • camillehardeman
    Options
    Yes! I always do, because it distracts me from the sound of my own stomping and heavy breathing (LOL i am not a very graceful runner, oh well). Either music or a podcast, I really love the HowStuffWorks podcast. I'm learning something while exercising and before I know it it's been half an hour, and i'm both smarter and fitter!
  • achief192
    Options
    I couldn't do it without music!!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yes, It's what gets me through.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't for safety reasons - I live in the country and don't want to risk being hit by a car!
  • FitFi74
    FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to, but I actually find myself distracted by it! The earphones irritate me, even the sports ones and I end up wasting time flicking tracks etc... I think I'm just too easily irritated!
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I could not run without music.

I run to the pace of the music and it blocks out all distractions...
  • KnittingKnadine
    Options
    I do. I am often on a trail or path at a park so I'm not worried about traffic. When I am running a race or somewhere I want to be more concerned about my surroundings, I either take out one of the earbuds or turn it down. I also don't have it very loud to begin with. I figure if I can still hear myself running (clothes moving, breathing, etc), I would be better able to hear a vehicle or someone coming up behind me.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I do not. I need to be able to hear cars/other people coming. A girl in my area was just attacked on her morning run because she was listening to her Ipod and did not hear him coming. However, if I am stuck inside on a treadmill, I HAVE TO listen to my Ipod, otherwise the boredom will kill my workout early.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't do music outside. I don't feel safe not being able to hear what's going on around me. Plus, I prefer to really build up a rhythm with my breathing and my stride. It helps me to feel more in tune I guess. I sometimes listen to music when I'm on the treadmill though.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have to have music so I wont concentrate on my breathing, plus it help the mind wander....
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I absolutely use music but only use one ear phone and keep the volume down so I can hear the other important things. Oddly, though, I typically run faster on the times I go without music but I can't last as long and it isn't as enjoyable. I occasionally go without the music if a race is coming up so I can get used to it, since most races ban the ear phones.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My mp3 player was broken for ages so I had to run in silence. I have to say, it's much easier with the musical distraction now that I have an mp3 player that works. :)
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I definitely listen to music. I got music playing on my Android with Endomondo tracking me so I can hear each mile and pace.
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No music while running outdoors for obvious safety reasons.... on my treadmill, yes... music is on!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always wear my iPod whether I run inside or outside and usually listen to audiobooks. I don't turn it up so loud that I can't hear anything else though.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Nope, no music outdoors. I run on streets with cars and need all my senses to keep me safe. Plus I found I like having one less "thing" to deal with.

I don't run on the dreadmill, but I listen to music on the elliptical.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I listen to music when i run but the volume is is always low. I need something to concentrate on and also helps me ignore the stares i get from people when i'm running. People where i live don't seem to be big o running lol
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    with or without.
    I like it with music because there are certain songs that come on that have me so amped! If im outdoors and its hilly Im able to push myself to run faster because of the music- think Rocky. If im on the treadmill I push myself a little faster as well.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I listen to music when I'm running during the day. However, I have switched to running around 4 AM and I do not use music because it is dark. I don't know if I'll go back to music though because my pace immediately and dramatically increased without it.