Need a little motivation and encouragement!

Options
Not sure why since I am very outgoing, but I have the HARDEST time getting to the gym by myself. I always have a gym buddy and when one of the can't go, I don't go. I really hate this! I know I need to go alone when they can't and going solo is not embarassing or dumb! WHYYYY can't I go alone? Thinking about going alone gives me anxiety which really it shouldn't because I have to make myself go because no one else can go for me!

Someone please give me a little kick..

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I don't workout with anyone because I am doing this for me!!! Motivation comes from with in. If you want this badly enough you've got to work for it! It doesn't come for free! Now tell me, how badly do you want this?
  • dani22105
    dani22105 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You're right!! I need this. I'm sick and tired or complaining about my weight and not doing anything about it. I don't date because of my weight and it's because I need to love myself completely before letting someone else. I want this, because I'm 23 and this is supposed to be the best years and I deserve them! I need to get healthy so I can live this life right!
  • sreed12
    Options
    working out with friends is great, but it's also a really great way to find an excuse not to go.
    Your health and body image matter to your friends, but only in the same way that what they watched on TV matters to you...it doesn't effect (affect?) their daily lives, so it's not as important to them as it is to you.
    I'm going to try to do this next year (try!) so here's my advice:
    Sit down and make your schedule. it can be something that works for your friends too. but make the schedule more important than the company. Meaning, you stick to the schedule regardless of who goes and who doesn't. And you go even if you don't "feel" like going.
    For me, once I miss one day (whether it's the gym, my diet, bible study, whatever) I don't want to go again, it's easier to put if off until another good starting point. I have to quit doing that.
    something else you can do is save certain workouts for when you find that you're alone - like cardio - grab your ipod and hit a machine for 20 or 30 or 40 minutes - maybe by just doing that one exercise, you won't feel so obviously alone...
    good luck!
  • DanyelePalmer
    Options
    i used to be like that too but i just joined the gym last week and i'm going alone..i kind of like that i can do whatever i want at my own pace,put on my headphones and zone out lol.
  • danmoffett
    Options
    I had the same problem.
    I joined the gym and couldn't get myself to go.
    That was before I learned that you don't have to exercise to lose weight.
    I've lost 145 pounds in the past 21 months.
    I now exercise to tone up and feel better but I never exercised to lose weight.
    I found for the price of gym membership you can have a nice setup at home.
    What I have:
    A rebounder.
    A Body By Jake Tower 200.
    A rower.
    A few dumbbells.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Not sure why since I am very outgoing, but I have the HARDEST time getting to the gym by myself. I always have a gym buddy and when one of the can't go, I don't go. I really hate this! I know I need to go alone when they can't and going solo is not embarassing or dumb! WHYYYY can't I go alone? Thinking about going alone gives me anxiety which really it shouldn't because I have to make myself go because no one else can go for me!

Someone please give me a little kick..

You can do it! You already have the membership... once you go a few times by yourself you will be over the anxiety and it - you are worth it! Eventually you'll love going alone and doing what you want when you want. Most people I know go to the gym alone - so you aren't really alone :flowerforyou:
  • dani22105
    dani22105 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I went today and did just cardio for 71 minutes and it wasn't awful. I see a lot of people I know so they were coming up to talk. I will get the encouragement to do abs and strength exercises by myself as well!

:)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    'atta girl!!! ;)