is this realistic for a first proper 10k?

Options
Hey lovely people :)

was at the gym today after having just joined up on xmas eve and mentioned to the guy helping em that I was doing a 10k in may and if he could give me an idea as to a realistic time for an overweight 22year old who hates running..

he said that if I trained properly I could easily do it around 1hour - 1hour 10.. i think my jaw dropped!

I did it last time in 1.36 but that was with no training so obviously would love to beat that but is it aiming too high? I'm hoping to go to the gym twice a week and then do extra things at home and then in february consider doing some outdoor runs etc the gym has a massive field right next to it which i'm sure I can run around a few times.. i just don't want to aim for 1hour 10 and then be upset if its too much too soon..

also any helpful tips and hints would be appreciated :D

Replies

• Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's too soon to tell. If you've just started at the gym, I'd give it a month or so to see how you feel and how fast you are moving. I guess it also depends on how much time you want to invest in running faster. Are you exercising 3 times a week? 5? I've been doing a lot of reading lately and most of the training plans for a beginner's 10k involve running 5 days a week. If you're willing to put that sort of time in, I'm sure you can do it.