what about atkin diet ?

Replies

• sarafaisal
    Options
    what about atkin diet ?
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know who has ever done it has lost a tremendous amount of weight, but once they started putting carbs back, they gained at least half of it. I personally could never do it because all the fat would kill my intestines.

I started a modified version of the South Beach Diet because of my gastrointestinal issues. Although I haven't seen any real weight loss, I definitely have more energy, but that's because I am not taking one bite here and one bite there of processed sugars that end up adding up.

Just my two cents.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    someone JUST posted about this type of strategy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/43057-cutting-calories-the-key-to-weight-loss

I actually went to my NEJOM and read the article and I can confirm, after a 2 year study with over 800 participants, there was no correlation found between a specific macro nutrient deficiency and added weight loss. this was a VERY comprehensive study, and while the results aren't perfect (how can it be with so many participants?) they were compelling.

The summary basically states that if you adhere to a moderate caloric deficit, and exercise, it makes very little difference if you choose low carb, low fat, high protien...etc as long as you maintain the deficit.
    They did, however note that the enthusiasm and attention of the person undertaking the deficit has far more importance then the type of diet they are on.
    I.E. you have to WANT it.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Please do more research, you need some carbs, some good fat and protien. I recommend using the site doing some expermenting and see what works for you. If you eat clean foods that your body can use and follow the lower calories you will lose.
  • JolandaW
    JolandaW Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cutting out my carbs seems to be the only thing that works for me. Not only does it make me lose weight, it makes me feel fantastic too. However, cutting out carbs is not just a diet, it's a life style. Opposed to what other may think, I believe you can easily live a healthy life without bread, pasta, rice and other food products that contain carbs. Veggies, lean meats, salads etc...Everyone's body is different so a low calorie diet may not work for person A for example but works great for person B etc. etc.
  • tigeress4
    tigeress4 Posts: 13
    Options
    I done the atkins diet for 7 months. I lost 40lbs and felt fantastic. until i started to really exercise to build mussle and get rid of the actual flab. As soon as you quit or take a week break it starts to come back. I also started to shake really bad. so I now count calories and it does work with regular exercise.

Atkins diet starts you off with only 20 carbs a day, most of that is supposed to come from veggies. I thank atkins for the weight loss but i don't think i could go back , i am happy now. I have found my grove. I also am not scared that i will gain so quickly if i decide to treat myself. You get off atkins and its imediate. I also read the article about ,all that matters is calorie intake. but you have to find your grove ,if you want to try it, go for it.

152712.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Please do more research, you need some carbs, some good fat and protien. I recommend using the site doing some expermenting and see what works for you. If you eat clean foods that your body can use and follow the lower calories you will lose.

You eat carbs with Atkins......................Your carbs come from natural sources such as vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, berries, some grains (depending on what your body can tolerate) and some dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt, butter, cheese)

Atkins is not a NO carb diet, it is a CONTROLLED CARB Way of Life...............You have to commit to a complete lifestyle change in order to maintain the loss.

You can not go back to processed foods once you lose the weight or you will gain it back, that is true of any weight loss plan though...................
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Cutting out my carbs seems to be the only thing that works for me. Not only does it make me lose weight, it makes me feel fantastic too. However, cutting out carbs is not just a diet, it's a life style. Opposed to what other may think, I believe you can easily live a healthy life without bread, pasta, rice and other food products that contain carbs. Veggies, lean meats, salads etc...Everyone's body is different so a low calorie diet may not work for person A for example but works great for person B etc. etc.

Thank You!! Someone else feels this way too..........

No one needs the nutritionally void foods............

I have a wheat intolerance that I found through Atkins. It is easy to find if you have a food allergy with Atkins because you add in foods 1 at a time and see how your body reacts to it................

Wheat and wheat gluten products make me retain water, tired, and lethargic...............sign of an allergy........
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As soon as you quit or take a week break it starts to come back.

Uhh, you don't take a break.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

I have a wheat intolerance that I found through Atkins. It is easy to find if you have a food allergy with Atkins because you add in foods 1 at a time and see how your body reacts to it................

Wheat and wheat gluten products make me retain water, tired, and lethargic...............sign of an allergy........

agree with you lioness, except that whole grains are NOT nutritionally void. They may not be the only way to go, but they are not nutritionally void. but the quote above yours. When you say you "cut out carbs" do you mean you cut out Grain products? Or you cut out all carbs? Because your body does actually need carbs. Unless you are going with a high fat diet- my nephew has to do this as he is severely epileptic. Anyway case in point. You do eat carbs on Atkins, but proportions are different. If you are actually trying to cut all carbs you should probably do some more research because that's extremely difficult, not to mention expensive. (trust me, I've seen the grocery bills :noway: )
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options
    I have been watching everything I eat . cuz its not good to take out all your carbs because that is what gives your energy. I really think this calorie counter helps me alot to stay on track
  • LeanLioness
    Options

agree with you lioness, except that whole grains are NOT nutritionally void. They may not be the only way to go, but they are not nutritionally void. but the quote above yours. When you say you "cut out carbs" do you mean you cut out Grain products? Or you cut out all carbs? Because your body does actually need carbs. Unless you are going with a high fat diet- my nephew has to do this as he is severely epileptic. Anyway case in point. You do eat carbs on Atkins, but proportions are different. If you are actually trying to cut all carbs you should probably do some more research because that's extremely difficult, not to mention expensive. (trust me, I've seen the grocery bills :noway: )

I never said that Whole Grains are nutritionally void..........I was referring to white bread, white rice, pasta, etc.........anything that says it has ENRICHED flour is nutritionally void. They have to supplement after bleaching, there is no nutritional value..........

Sprouted grains, steel cut oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes..............that is the way to go as far as grains.

Most of these food manufacturers are very misleading and flat out lying to consumers making them think they are getting "whole grains" and they are not.

I would rather stick to the natural stuff until I can start baking my own bread and such.........I know what I season my meats with, I know what is in my veggies and fruits
  • tigeress4
    Options
    Not everyone can be perfect. I took a break because i watched my grandmother die. Last year me and my husband was having difficultys and as someone said change is good. i made a change. Counting calories works better for me it is a more open diet. Atkins diet does work, its just not for everyone. :wink:
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options
    I understand that everyone has to diet in their own ways. We all have to find out what works for them. It is hard and discouraging at times expecially when your watching everything your eating and excersising daily. All we can do is try try and try again and stay focused .:flowerforyou:
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can be perfect. I took a break because i watched my grandmother die. Last year me and my husband was having difficultys and as someone said change is good. i made a change. Counting calories works better for me it is a more open diet. Atkins diet does work, its just not for everyone. :wink:
    I agree! The only thing that ive learned about Atkins yes it does work, but how good is it on your heart in the long run. And It's not a life long thing you could live on as eating right and counting your calories so i agree this is working for me and im happy here.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I guess what I was getting at with that comment was this. As long as you're regarding it as something you "go on and off of" you haven't made the mental commitment to a new lifestyle. You don't go on and off of lifestyles. You just do and live them. Yes there will be bumps in the road, and not everything works for everyone, but I think the mentality behind comments like those is misguided. Without the commitment to a new lifestyle, whatever it may be, you're greatly limiting your chances of success.
  • tigeress4
    Options
    You are right, I know that and because i was going on and off was,I guess in a way a sign it wasn't for me. I am doing really good right now counting calories.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I agree! The only thing that ive learned about Atkins yes it does work, but how good is it on your heart in the long run. And It's not a life long thing you could live on as eating right and counting your calories so i agree this is working for me and im happy here.

Atkins is not unhealthy on your heart if you have removed the processed foods and are eating a plan of whole fresh foods and doing the plan by the book....................

I eat at least 6-7 servings of vegetables a day. Way more than I was eating pre-atkins...............

My blood work is healthier than it has been in years since I started Atkins again.

This past year, I have started a new me. It is an all or nothing thing with me now...............So, I go all the way to committing to a healthier ME or I do nothing at alll.
  • tigeress4
    Options
    No atkins is not unhealthy for your heart. A recent study showed it is actually one of the best diets for your heart. I felt really good on atkins up until the time i started to shake really bad. I knew something was wrong, so i changed and i am happier now. atkins does work its just not for everyone or better put not for me.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Results of a study were just released this week regarding weight loss and the final conclusion was that it didn't matter what type of diet plan you choose to follow as long as your restrict your calories and exercise at least 90 minutes per week.

so the exercise may seem low but the overall message was to eat a "heart healthy diet". This included whole grains, good fats and all the other good whole food that is available to us.

I personally could not do atkins, you need to educate yourself on the pros and cons of a high protein diet since you are a woman there are side effects that men may not encounter. More importantly you need to educate yourself on what is considered a heart healthy diet, one of the healthiest is a medeterranean style diet rich in fish, oils and veggies with grains as a side dish.

You have to choose what is right for you and sometimes that takes trial and error :flowerforyou: