Heaviest Weight: 300-310lbs/Current Weight: 162lbs

Options
WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES!

Before I even get into what I am about to say, I have to say thank you to my husband Mark and my daughter Elizabeth for bearing with me while I was under construction. I would not have been able to get to where I am without your love and support. That goes out to everyone else in my group of family and friends that has lent their words of encouragement and support as well. I couldn't have done any of this without such an awesome group of cheerleaders.

365 days ago, I could never have imagined accomplishing the things that I have in just one short year. Well, I guess I could have imagined it, I've imagined what it would be like to be thin for most of my life, but I can't believe I actually did it. I see my new reflection several times a day and each time is like the first time, it's hard to describe, but it still doesn't feel like me.

People's reactions have been, for the most part, positive and supportive. It is weird sometimes though when I have to tell someone I've known for years, who I am. It's also a little strange talking about it so much in social settings. Someone will ask how I did it, what motivated me to do it and how much I've lost overall- the next thing I know I've been talking about myself for 5 straight minutes. I'm not use to the attention, so it feels odd, even though I do realize that I'm talking about it because I'm answering direct questions, not just talking to talk.

I am extremely proud of myself and I'm happy to talk about it or show someone before and after pics, but I'm constantly paranoid I will come off as conceited or full of myself. I am humbled by, and grateful for, this change so much more than I can explain. I am the polar opposite of conceited, and still have a lot of insecurities about my body, they're just different than they use to be. I don't mind the way I look in clothes now, but I feel like a hot mess when I take off my clothes. Mark tries to put things into perspective for me, when I look at myself and get upset that my breasts are smaller or that my stomach has so much extra jiggly skin, he will ask something like, would I rather have my big boobs again and be over 300lbs. It makes me realize how stupid I sound complaining to others, but it doesn't make the way I feel inside change.

The mental aspect of all of this is overwhelming. I have so many thoughts and emotions that I have a hard time processing them all. Having been heavy for more than half of my life, I still think that way. I keep thinking one day I'm going to wake up morbidly obese, as if this past year never happened.

I look at an old picture of myself and don't recognize myself, fat. I look in a mirror everyday and don't recognize myself, thin. It is as confusing as it sounds. I know I was morbidly obese for over a decade, so I identify with that mindset more, but the physical being that I see in those old pics, doesn't feel like me. I know that I'm now at a healthy weight, but because of that fat-girl mindset, I don't identify myself with the reflection I see in a mirror, it doesn't feel like me either. I sometimes feel lost.

Christmas night, Mark told me how nice I looked that day. I thanked him and told him it was the first time I can remember in my life that I really FELT pretty. I know many times in my life, heavy or not heavy, I've seen pics that I thought I looked pretty in or I've gotten dressed up and thought I looked pretty, but I never felt pretty. It was a big deal for me.

Changing the way I feel about me is more important than changing the way others feel about me or perceive me. I know I need to work on it going forward, and that will be something I try to accomplish in 2012. I don't think it will be as easy to reprogram my mind as it was to reprogram my body, but I'm determined to get there.

Replies

• bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are inspiring. And the mental part will be tough, but it sounds like you own the accomplishment, so you may shed that old self-image before too long.
    Congratulations!
  • emseigle
    Options
    I hope so.
  • mrsdstarks
    Options
    You look AHHHHH'Mazing lady! I few years ago I weighed 328...the highest I had ever weighed in my life. I lost 128 pounds only to put most of it back on with having a baby...(i know...don't blame it on the baby). LOL! Anyway....I remember how insecure I was with my body being 128 pounds smaller too and its such a blessing to have husbands that encourage us even when we are being hard on ourselves. I am currently 252 and working my way to 170. You are an inspiration and I pray to reach my goal in 2012!
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You've accomplished a great deal. You were committed to yourself and you made it happen.
    I don't know you but I am so proud of you.
    Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    awesome loss way to go
  • emseigle
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. I am now a firm believer that we can all do anything we set our minds to. A year ago I didn't have the same view of life that I do now.
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You look great and it is AWESOME to have a great support system.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    congrats! i looked at your pics in your profile. you look great

PS.. i spotted a Jamaican Flag in one of your pics too... Wooo!
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! I especially love that dress!!
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Just amazing! You are very inspirational...
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Great story!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pics in your profile and you look amazing. Thank you for sharing, especially for sharing more of your story than just the physical aspects of your weight loss.
  • emseigle
    Options

I love me some Bob Marley!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    way to go!! you summed up pretty much exactly how I feel, I used to be 307lbs and now I'm in the 140's. I still tend to have the mentality of the big me though.....it's hard to accept I'm thin now.

I want to see before and after pictures of you.....I love those!!

Congrats on such a huge accomplishment though! It's amazing you lost that much in just 1 year (it's taken me almost 2 years to get to where I am)

I hope that 2012 brings you much happiness and health!!
  • melissarefson
    melissarefson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    amazing! utterly inspiring!
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational... Congrats!
  • ciaobellakiss
    Options
    I loved reading this :) Great job!
  • AdenaJ
    AdenaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great work on your transformation and for achieving your weight loss goals this year!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS on your weight loss. I can so relate to how you feel. I have lost 92 lbs in a yr and half and I feel the same way at times. It is hard to relate to the thin me even though I like her alot better....heehee
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!