Options
2»

Replies

• gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I made this last night

http://hotfrommyoven.blogspot.com/2011/08/spicy-lemongrass-tofu.html

and it was SOOOO good! I had to stop myself from sneaking bites of it while the rest of my meal was cooking. Which was this, BTW....

http://willcookforfriends.blogspot.com/2011/12/spicy-peanut-suace-its-whats-for-dinner.html

I omitted the sesame seeds from the tofu and tossed the 'fu in with the veggies (I used mixed veggies and edamame instead of just broccoli), noodles, and sauce. Yummy!
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    yummmm this thread is making me hungry....
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Getting enough protein can be a struggle, especially if you're vegan. Even if you do eggs and/or dairy, it can be tough without getting a lot of carbs or fat. Tofu is a good source of protein and there are a lot of great suggestions here on how to prepare it (some of which I'm going to try also) but it can require an awful lot to get sufficient quantities of protein. For example, an entire block of extra firm tofu only has a total of 24 g of protein. For a big guy like me, that's only about 35% of my daily requirement and I can't eat an entire block of tofu a day. I've had to resort to protein powders to make up a big part of the difference. Since I'm a lacto-ovo-veg (13 years), I use the whey powder, which is a bit more recommended. However, you can also get soy powder at 20g protein a scoop and shake it up with your favorite juice for good protein boost.
    Good luck with your change and keep at it! You're doing great.

9114468.png
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    And can someone tell me how to duplicate the Japanese restaurant's fried tofu at home?! *cries* I just can't seem to get the right taste/texture..especially that crispy outside! (This, and healthy mac-n-cheese that tastes good are my "holy grails" of my healthy cooking trials right now...)

I spoke with a friend of mine who owns a Japanese fusion restaurant... when he does crispy fried tofu, he will do a fine-grind on panko crumbs... lightly coat the E.F. Tofu cubes in sesame oil, and then coat in the panko-powder... they come up crispy-good every time!

He will even season the panko powder with salt, pepper, garlic powder and chinese 5-spice... THIS Ive cooked at home and OH MY FREAKIN' GAWD its AMAZING!

I will be trying this next time! Hopefully this week! (Requires me to stop by the store on my lunch break in the city because the store here doesn't carry EF tofu.)