Sugar

Options
I am trying to watch my sugar intake and it says my goal for sugar is 62. My normal smoothie meal which includes real fruits.. total 59. is the goal number correct or am i just doing something wrong

Replies

• BruCrewMom
    Options
    Only 10% of your calories should come from sugar. If you were consuming 2000 calories a day, only 200 of them should be sugar...that is 50 grams. I don't know your calorie consumption or goals, but that's just the easiest numbers to show you. To figure out for yourself, divide your calories daily by 10 and then divide that number by 4 to get the grams of sugar you should limit yourself to. If your smoothies are too high, look for a healthier alternative. Consuming too much sugar will tire out your pancreas and lead to type 2 diabetes.
  • Kaison02
    Options
    My smooties are Banana, madrian Oranges and apples. I was told this was pretty healthy.
  • Kaison02
    Options
    Is there something I can replace the oranges with that has the flavor but less sugar?
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have also seen it recomended at 10% to total cals. BUT this really depends on how much you work out. The more you work out the more you can comsume. As I have learned keeping your sugars to low can invite unwelcome reaction called hypoglycemic attacks and those feel NASTY!! I went and took a blood test and every thing was normal for me but I needed to eat more sugars was all this was and have not had them since. So be careful!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Only 10% of your calories should come from sugar. If you were consuming 2000 calories a day, only 200 of them should be sugar...that is 50 grams.

That's from added sugars, isn't it?

I don't worry about the natural sugars in fruit and other real foods, just foods and beverages with a lot of processed sugar. I quit tracking sugar on MFP because the software doesn't differentiate.