Nuts good source of protein?

Options
Are nuts such as pistachios, peanuts, and almonds good source of protein? And they have a lot of calories but are these good calories?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you differentiate good calories from bad calories.

Nuts are a great source of fat. They don't have all that much protein. If I'm reaching for a handful of nuts (inb4 koosdel), I'm either doing it for my tastebuds or to fill a dietary fat deficiency/need. I wouldn't look to them as a major contributor to protein.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't turn to nuts as a source of protein because of the high calories. Yes, the fat calories are from healthy fats so it's definitely not harmful to eat them, assuming it's within your calorie goals. Fat is 9 calories per gram whereas protein & carbs are only 4 calories per gram, so after I've met my protein goal I prefer to "spend" less calories on fat & more on carbs because it's just more food...& I likes food.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Nuts in moderation are fine to consume, but not as a good protein source....fat, yes. Fish like tilapia are a good protein source, or chicken or lean cuts of red meat with less calories and 4X as much protein...also greek yogurt, soy that kind of thing. Nuts are high in fat like I said and not the best omega ratio's, which is important considering most people have pretty messed up ratio's.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. I eat nuts to hit my fat and calorie goals. The protein is just an added bonus.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    nuts and nut butters - excellent sources of protein. the more the merrier.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I concur
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, nuts are good calories.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options

Attention people the lady speaks the truth
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Once again... I get sucked into a post that is not at ALL what I think it's about!
  • carrie_eggo
    Options

Really? Because I just ate 1oz of walnuts and I got 185 calories, and only 4g protein. Yesterday I ate 5.1oz of chicken and it was 36g protein and only 153 calories. I beg to differ.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Once again... I get sucked into a post that is not at ALL what I think it's about!

LMAO! You too, huh?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Nuts have about a 2:1 fat:protein ratio. So as mentioned above, I would mostly count them as a fat rather than a protein source.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

Really? Because I just ate 1oz of walnuts and I got 185 calories, and only 4g protein. Yesterday I ate 5.1oz of chicken and it was 36g protein and only 153 calories. I beg to differ.

Miko aka chocolateandvodka knows what she's talking about...
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options

you ate walnuts? there's your problem... bleh... i don't particularly like walnuts. i prefer other varieties.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I dont think your nuts are the kind with the higher protein value that she is referring too...Btw I dont know about chicken nuts maybe they are different
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Imo I dont think so. Even though the fat is good fat its way to much for me and will put me over fat % quickly. So in this reguard I would say no just because to get a sufficient amount of protein from them you would have to eat a grip of them.
  • carrie_eggo
    Options

you ate walnuts? there's your problem... bleh... i don't particularly like walnuts. i prefer other varieties.

I eat walnuts for the Omega 3's. All I'm trying to say is that you'd have to eat a lot of nuts (therefore a lot of calories and fat) to get the same amount of protein as a 5 oz serving of chicken (or other meat).
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

She speaks the truth! :smile:
  • servilia
    Options
    It depends on how you differentiate good calories from bad calories.

Nuts are a great source of fat. They don't have all that much protein. If I'm reaching for a handful of nuts (inb4 koosdel), I'm either doing it for my tastebuds or to fill a dietary fat deficiency/need. I wouldn't look to them as a major contributor to protein.

This is the truth too.
  • servilia
    Options

So which nuts have significantly higher protein than walnuts?