How much fat do you consume daily?

Options
I think I'm pretty healthy when it comes to fats; I go for avocados, almonds, peanuts, olive oil, etc and only occasionally from tortillas or the like. I still hover around 43g daily. I was wondering where everyone else is, I'm losing weight so I doing think I'm over doing it, just curious.

Also, do you limit the amount you'll eat in any one meal?

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    My goal for fat is ~50g :)

No, I don't limit it to a specific amt. per meal.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    approx. 60 grams of fat with a 2000 calorie/day intake. If I run or do heavy workouts, it generally increases to 80-90.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I usually take in about 70-80g a day. Going over on fat is not a problem, dietary fat has no more of a relationship with body fat than carbs or protein do. Going over maintenance calories is what causes fat to be deposited, regardless of where you got the calories from.

As far as limiting per meal, same thing. Doesn't matter. I had steak tips for dinner and took in 36g of fat just from that alone. No big deal.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I try and shoot for a minimum of .4g of fat per lb of bodyweight, i have no upper limit on fats
  • borys12
    Options
    I eat about 100 - 150 g of fat. Why ? Because I eat up up to 50g of carbohydrates. After quite a lot gaining over December ( lat two weeks mainly ), it works for me very well :).
  • Boring2Fit
    Options
    I think I consume around 20-30g with a calorie intake goal that is set to 1200. I don't really watch the amount of fat I eat though because it never goes over.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I don't even keep track. My theory is as long as it's "plant" fat like avocado, olives, nuts, etc. it's ok. Just my .02
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Normally around 50-70g. I don't really put a limit on it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Around 100g.
    I don't wish to go below 60g, and I don't have a maximum. As long as my calories are in check and my fat & protein minimums are met, I'm happy :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    12 grams.
  • rh009
    rh009 Posts: 14
    Options
    keep in mind there are different kinds of fats - mfp tracks each one. your body needs a a good amount of monosaturated and polysatuated fats to stay healthy, which are typically found in the above mentioned foods like avocados and peanuts etc. what you should watch is the amount of saturated fat you intake per day.
  • servilia
    Options
    keep in mind there are different kinds of fats - mfp tracks each one. your body needs a a good amount of monosaturated and polysatuated fats to stay healthy, which are typically found in the above mentioned foods like avocados and peanuts etc. what you should watch is the amount of saturated fat you intake per day.

I'd rather limit the omega 6 and trans fats, and try to keep omega 3s high, and not even worry about saturated fat.
  • rh009
    Options

I'd rather limit the omega 6 and trans fats, and try to keep omega 3s high, and not even worry about saturated fat.

too much saturated fat isn't good for you.
  • servilia
    Options

too much saturated fat isn't good for you.

Too much omega 6 isn't good for you. Too much water isn't good for you either.
  • rh009
    Options
    you're not looking at it in the right context. saturated fat is the type that will make you gain weight and stays heavier in your system. you need to keep in mind and consume in moderate amounts.
  • rh009
    Options
    it's also almost impossible to drink too much water
  • servilia
    Options
    Wrong. Eating too much saturated fat won't make you gain weight. Eating more calories than you burn will. But just out of curiousity, what do you consider "too much"?
  • servilia
    Options
    Also, how are the calories from saturated fat more likely to result in weight gain than, say, monounsaturated fat? Interested in the science of it.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Eating too much saturated fat won't make you gain weight. Eating more calories than you burn will.

^^Agree 100%
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

Same here.
    I try to meet and exceed a daily goal of 50+ grams fat and average about 70.