Is the cold can make a fat person

Options
2»

Replies

• peterhern
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is relevant to the discussion but wouldn't a person burn more fat excercising in cold weather because the body would need to work harder to maintain body heat?
    It feels like the opposite is true because you sweat more in the heat, but I think you burn more in the cold.

Thinking about doing a polar plunge on New Year's Day and wondering how much fat would burn off to keep me warm.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is relevant to the discussion but wouldn't a person burn more fat excercising in cold weather because the body would need to work harder to maintain body heat?
    It feels like the opposite is true because you sweat more in the heat, but I think you burn more in the cold.

Thinking about doing a polar plunge on New Year's Day and wondering how much fat would burn off to keep me warm.

That was my response. Read it somewhere recently.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    No the cold cannot make you fat, but the cold can make you burn more calories trying to keep your body warm.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You burn more calorie if you work out in the cold.
    In fact, drinking 1-2 liters of cold water, help burn couple hundred calorie.

Usually people gain weight in winter because people don't want to exercise in the cold
    and the day light is shorter. They eat more to keep them warm.
    Also we have to wear thick jacket, don't show much of skin, so we
    are less conscious about our bodies.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Absolutely disgusting behaviour!

It is blatantly obvious that English is not the OP's first language yet so many thought it was acceptable to take the p?? I will be reviewing my actions in the morning (when I access via a computer not my phone) and many of those that have had comments deleted can expect to hear from me via warnings or blocks.

Thank you to those that did their best to answer the question seriously, hopefully the OP will not go away thinking that everyone on this site are condescending meanies.

CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Sorry Julie, not really enough info to go on here. Without insulting your intelligence could it be:

- reliability of your scales
    - the sort of food you tend to eat in winter months
    - exercise pattern
    - the amount of clothes worn whilst you're weighing yourself

The temperature itself doesn't change things, so look to those possible causes
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

However, word salad, of which there are several awesome examples above, is generally not a skill available to the non-psychotic person. Just sayin. I assume you all had to work hard at that. I congratulate you.

Is that supposed to be a proper sentence, or are you demonstrating that English isn't your first language?
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I would like to give my two cents on the topic. i live in phoenix arizona, we are the Grand Canyon state, which as many of you know, our temperatures can reach into the 120s but usually hovering around an average of 110 to112 during the summer months, which summer for us is from about the first of May until the end of October. by Halloween(10/31) the weather finally cools enough to leave our windows open here. but if I step out of my house anytime between those months, I will begin to perspire automatically. If i watch what i eat and workout during this time of the year, i can lose up to 3 pant sizes in less than 2 months easily. when i workout at this time of the year, the sweat is literally dripping on the floor, sorry tmi but ask my friends about it they will tell you.but during the winter unless i am being religious in my eating habits and making it to the gym on a regular basis i have a very difficult time losing period and it could take me up to six months to lose 3 sizes.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the cold. I live in a very cold wintery state (Wisconsin, USA) and most of us do gain weight during winter. I think it is a combo of Holidays, we tend to eat more because we are inside more and we stay warmer when we eat and many of us don't really exercise outside like we should. Our main "exercise" is snowmobiling......which is fun but I doubt burns to many calories. This winter we have had hardly any snow so sledding, skiing etc is out unless you want to pay to go to a ski hill with fake snow. Not the same I guess. But my husband also gains in the winter but loses it all as soon as spring hits because he is outside working more. I would check your scale. Is it digital? Maybe the cold messes with it? See if you can get weighed somewhere else and see if there is a difference. Good luck!
  • ChanlynMay
    ChanlynMay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Odd question but do you weigh yourself when you are naked or wearing clothes? I didn't realize how much my clothes actually weighed until recently (it is a pretty chilly winter here) so if you are wearing extra layers when it is chilly and lighter clothes when you are warm, could that be it?
  • gailashton
    Options
    Only if you hibernate!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The cold and make you eat more. It is natures way of keeping you protected from the cold.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Is the cold can make a fat person
    cold and eating too much coupled with not enough exercise.

In fact, it's the same for warm weather too....
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I struggle the most in the winter. Even though the days are getting longer since the solstice this is always when I struggle most, especially if there's cold temps and/or snow on the ground. I can feel my body literally go into hibernation mode, I find my appetite for food increases and I crave warm rich fatty foods.. and I also feel less motivated to exercise. I've learned to fight it and exercise anyway, and make things like yellow split pea soup or butternut squash soup that tastes rich and is warm/filling without being high in fat and calories like creamy soups.

So between the cold of winter and holiday treats, this time of year I'm happy if I manage to just maintain rather than lose. Has worked well for me this year so far.

Good luck!
  • JulieTremblay
    Options
    Thanks every one sorry for my bad English, i try to be better in English, i need some practice and to learn how to spell right world . I'm not perfect but i try to be come better in English.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Odd question but do you weigh yourself when you are naked or wearing clothes? I didn't realize how much my clothes actually weighed until recently (it is a pretty chilly winter here) so if you are wearing extra layers when it is chilly and lighter clothes when you are warm, could that be it?

This is exactly what I was thinking. Clothes are HEAVY....especially after a holiday weekend, lol
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one sorry for my bad English, i try to be better in English, i need some practice and to learn how to spell right world . I'm not perfect but i try to be come better in English.

I suspect your English is far better than a lot of people's Spanish, my own included!