80 pounds and 24.5 inches in 2011- pics

Options
Hello all, my name is Melissa and I am 30 years old. I had lap-band surgery for the first time in 2005 and quickly lost 94 pounds. Losing the weight allowed me to get pregnant with my daughter who was born in November 2007. While I was pregnant I gained @ 65 pounds and only lost 15 after her birth. When she was a year old I found out my lap band had slipped up onto my esophagus causing a hole in my diaphragm which required surgery to repair. I chose to have the band replaced, afraid I might gain back even more weight without it. Poor diet and lack of exercise found me starting 2011 back within 5 pounds of my highest starting weight. My journey has helped me realize that weight loss surgery is not a cure all in itself, but a tool that you can choose to use or dodge and cheat. Funny thing is that I was only cheating myself! I'd heard it a million times but for some reason it finally sunk in. So, this year I made a commitment to myself and my daughter to get myself back to a healthier weight. I am happy to report that over the last year I have lost 80 pounds and 24.5 inches. I am now within 5 pounds of a normal bmi and went from a size 24 to a 10/12. XXXL to M/L in most clothes and I don't hear my knee pop when I walk up the stairs anymore. I still have a hard time believing the mirror, but when I put the pictures side by side I am blown away.

beforeface.jpg

DSCN2713.jpg

Replies

• HeyGrlHey
    Options
    Hello all, my name is Melissa and I am 30 years old. I had lap-band surgery for the first time in 2005 and quickly lost 94 pounds. Losing the weight allowed me to get pregnant with my daughter who was born in November 2007. While I was pregnant I gained @ 65 pounds and only lost 15 after her birth. When she was a year old I found out my lap band had slipped up onto my esophagus causing a hole in my diaphragm which required surgery to repair. I chose to have the band replaced, afraid I might gain back even more weight without it. Poor diet and lack of exercise found me starting 2011 back within 5 pounds of my highest starting weight. My journey has helped me realize that weight loss surgery is not a cure all in itself, but a tool that you can choose to use or dodge and cheat. Funny thing is that I was only cheating myself! I'd heard it a million times but for some reason it finally sunk in. So, this year I made a commitment to myself and my daughter to get myself back to a healthier weight. I am happy to report that over the last year I have lost 80 pounds and 24.5 inches. I am now within 5 pounds of a normal bmi and went from a size 24 to a 10/12. XXXL to M/L in most clothes and I don't hear my knee pop when I walk up the stairs anymore. I still have a hard time believing the mirror, but when I put the pictures side by side I am blown away.

beforeface.jpg

DSCN2713.jpg
  • HeyGrlHey
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    What a transformation, great job!!!
  • jennykcmo
    jennykcmo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    oh wow, awesome job!!!!!! Thanks for sharing your story too. I almost had weight loss surgery but didn't in the end only due to money. But now I am so glad to have found MFP and have the possibility of achieving my goal "on my own" so to speak. Like you said, you need the disciplines of good nutrition and good fitness to make it permanent anyway, so this is teaching me those habits. Anyway, congratulations again.
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Thanks for sharing your story. You look great!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Wow! Congrats on making a commitment to your daughter and your future and getting it done!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!