Do you think working out when you are sick makes you better

Options
I am battling cold and my energy level is super low, and My head feels like it is about to explode, but I hate to miss a day of workout. Some people say that exerting yourself makes it worse, while other think that it help your body fight off the virus. What do you guys think? to skip or not to skip ?

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    it makes me feel worse.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think if I'm properly ill, no. But if I'm fighting something off, working out seems to help me battle against whatever I'm coming down with. Also, I think it generally boosts my immune system, so I'm less susceptible to other people's bugs.

But when I feel the way you describe, the best thing for me is to try to rest.
  • anewdana
    anewdana Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    definite skip, your resistance is too low.
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think the rule is above the neck like sniffles or sore throat, work out but keep it light. Anything below the neck, chest, body aches, ect... skip the workout and get some rest.
  • nkeller08
    Options
    Now that is a good rule!!
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well, it would get the heart pumping, the antibodies passing through-out your body a lot quicker than at rest. Plus you would heat up which would denature the virus a little bit so it wouldn't be able to replicate as fast (it's also why you get a fever) so yeah, I would say it helps fight the virus quicker than if you were laid up in bed asking for more soup.

Worked for me when I was ill, just walked around and kept active for a couple of days. Was much better on day 3. (well, that and I have a killer immune system)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Id say take a few days off until you are feeling bettter, or stick to light exercise only.I tried to work out with a bad cold and failed miserably! Managed a bit of swimming and walking the dog but couldnt run at all and nearly passed out after 30 mins kettlebells!
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    thanks guys< lots of good advice :)
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You ARE suppose to rest. Me personally i've worked out sick, i kind of like it, makes me feel a lot better, and gives me the chance to get everyone else sick so when i come back there are less people taking up space (:
  • kimclaws
    Options
    hahah that is hilarious!!!
  • flvsusandy
    flvsusandy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think workout but keep it light with crosstraining.

I have a head cold and am on meds and can't get rid of a headache or stuffy nose.....ran 8 miles today and seriously thought I was going to die. Like cramps and felt like I was going to throw up. I don't suggest that! :)
  • kimclaws
    Options
    lol I am lucky if i can run ONE mile on a good day let alone 8!! you go girl!!!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm not too sick, I usually feel better after a light to moderate workout. And if I have a headcold with congestion, it definitely opens things up, without any drugs, so I like that!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I would say rest. Especially if you live somewhere where it is winter at the moment. Your immune system is quite weak just after a workout which tends to be the time that you walk around with less than the clothes you should have on for the outside temperature (in an effort to cool down) which only makes things worse. I think that's why I get sick so much more often when I work out!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You ARE suppose to rest. Me personally i've worked out sick, i kind of like it, makes me feel a lot better, and gives me the chance to get everyone else sick so when i come back there are less people taking up space (:

hahahaha! I have worked out in gym classes tissue in hand before... ick! Back in my gym junkie days...