Fasting

Options
Tomorrow is the last day of my challenge. I am considering fasting tomorrow to put me at my goal or as close as I can get. I have fasted before. Never more than a day and not as a weight loss tool. More for spiritual reasons but I was wondering what others thoughts are on it! I'm still going to drink my water. Do those of you who fast still exercise that day or do you take the day off?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Personally i don't see the point if it's just to see a number on the scale, since when you resume eating that number will increase due to water retention etc
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why i can't stand these sorts of "challenges". So suppose you fast for 24 hours, drop some water weight, and win. What have you gained?
  • Steffi330
    Steffi330 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Its just personal satisfaction! I only had a few pounds to lose this week just thinking of giving it a little boost to be sure I reach it. I haven't done anything to deny myself up til now and I don't think one day of fasting will hurt me. Actually fasting every now and then is good for you especially if your doing it for spiritual reasons. I have lost all my weight to date just by exercising and counting calories. I really have not denied myself anything. I have still had desert and pizza. I have watched my portions to be suday I stayed under my calorie goal for the day. I appreciate all input but really looking to see if anyone has had any success fasting every now and again as a part of their regiment.
  • chovest81
    Options
    I honestly dont know how you do it....especially with caring for your children. I would be sick. Any who....if you do it....i would say dont exercise.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Double
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Why fast? If you only fast for one day, any weight you lose will come back immediately. You're just cheating yourself. I know how to adjust my scale to say I weigh X number of pounds less than I do, but what would be the point?
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Personally i don't see the point if it's just to see a number on the scale, since when you resume eating that number will increase due to water retention etc

^^Indeed. Not to mention its so hard on the body :frown:

To answer your question though, I have friends who fast for religous reasons. They do not exercise after fastings (low gluclose = no energy) and normally take it easy with food intake the day after (light foods, multiple meals)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Interesting that I came across this topic today since I plan on fasting tomorrow as well. Never done it before & completely unrelated to weight loss - a close friend is in the hospital for gastric issues & is unable to take anything by mouth, so a number of his family members are fasting tomorrow as a show of support. My husband & I will be fasting sunup to sundown & drinking only water during the fast. Might get up early & eat a light breakfast, but maybe not. Daylight is short here in the midwest. We don't plan to work out tomorrow either.
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've done various fasts ranging from sun-up/sun-down all the way upto 72hrs; some for religious reasons; some for sponsered events. Personally I've never done anything less than a normal day while fasting (exercise, activity, work, uni etc)
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have fasted for religious reasons, I saw some psychological/spiritual benefits but that was it. I fasted for 12 hours the first Sunday of every month with no water but I did not exercise on those days. Now that I am no longer a member of that church I don't fast and don't really see a point to it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with fasting for 24 hours. I do it once of twice a week as do many others who use intermittent fasting, and yes you will lose more than just water weight. In particular after 18 hours your body burns substantially more fat, but even before that it starts to increase use of fat as an energy source. Drink lots of water during it though. I usually go from just after supper one night to supper the next, breaking my fast with a normal meal. For those interested there is a group here for those who use Intermittent Fasting http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I think if your going to do a "fasting" type diet, especially when caring for kids and if your only gonna do it for a day, instead of starving yourself and possibly putting your body into starvation mode, maybe do a cleanse instead. Stick to only fruits and veggies and if it makes you feel better make a smoothie out of them for breakfast lunch and dinner. Starving yourself "fasting" for one day is gonna do more harm then good. Yes you may see temporary results, but were talkin very temporary, and you may end up further behind.
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If you are doing it to lose weight then I agree that there isn't much point. You might get the scale to go down, but it will jump right back up with food intake the next day.

If, however, you are doing it for a spiritual/religious reason then go for it. I have fasted several occasions using various methods. I have done 24 hour complete fasts, fasting from individual items (including technology, but that is a different story), and even a week long clear liquid only fast. I would not exercise and I would ease back into food the next day.

You need to be honest with yourself why you are doing this. If it is for a spiritual reson then the number on the scale shouldn't matter and you need to focus on that spiritual importance of it.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand the personal satisfaction and spiritual reasoning behind this. It's the same reaction I got when I had my skin removal scarification done - "Why'd you do it?", "What's the reason behind it?", "It makes no sense!"... doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you feel it'll work for you and do whatever it is you intend for it to do for you, then do it.

I've fasted a few times in the past, for similar reasons (that being personal, spiritual, not even necessarily weight related) and it did me good. When I did it, I didn't work out per se... I did keep active though, otherwise I find that I get way too lazy and sluggish. Maybe a stroll down the road, or up the trail, or around your house, just to keep me going. Otherwise I'd probably sleep all day lol

So, in my opinion, I say that if it isn't going to kill you (in the short OR long run) and if it'll bring you joy and satisfaction, then do it.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai