Decaff coffee count as water?

Options
Hi All,

I have given up caffine (I used to drink an insane amount) I now drink decaff coffee, can this count towards my 8 glasses of water?

Replies

• rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    Everything you eat and drink that has water in counts towards your 8 glasses. Most people actually get enough water by drinking when they are just thirsty- there are no proven health benefits to drinking water even when you're not thirsty.
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Fab thank you x

When I see people have had 15 cups of water I am baffeled but if ot includes coffee etc I can easily do 8 cups.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It is correct that any liquid (in food or beverage) will count towards your hydration. But you will get many people telling you that you have to drink loads of plain water and nothing else. Remember as long as your pee is clear or pale yellow, and you aren't thirsty, you are fine.
  • jrcho88
    Options
    Doesn't decaf coffee still contain a fair amount of caffeine, though not as much compared to regular coffee?

Does anybody know how strong the diuretic effect of the reduced amount of caffeine would be in decaf?
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    Doesn't decaf coffee still contain a fair amount of caffeine, though not as much compared to regular coffee?

Does anybody know how strong the diuretic effect of the reduced amount of caffeine would be in decaf?

I just had a look online I found this on wikipedia

Decaffeination is the act of removing caffeine from coffee beans, cocoa, tea leaves and other caffeine-containing materials. (While caffeine-free soft drinks are occasionally referred to as "decaffeinated", some are better termed "uncaffeinated": prepared without adding caffeine during production.) Despite removal of caffeine, many decaffeinated drinks still have around 1-2% of the original caffeine remaining in them.

In the case of coffee, various methods can be used. The process is usually performed on unroasted (green) beans, and starts with steaming of the beans. They are then rinsed with a solvent that extracts the caffeine while leaving the other essential chemicals in the coffee beans. The process is repeated anywhere from 8 to 12 times until it meets either the international standard of having removed 97% of the caffeine in the beans or the EU standard of having the beans 99.9% caffeine-free by mass
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    When I see people have had 15 cups of water I am baffeled but if ot includes coffee etc I can easily do 8 cups.

Not true. If I have 8-12-15 cups of water down, it's pure water. It's not particully hard to get that many cups of water in a day.

You have to decide what's best for you, but I'm a person who will only count pure water to my 8 cups. I drink other stuff (Pepsi Max mainly) but whatever I put down as water is only pure water.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you can count half of your 8 cups a day with decaf drinks. I get in a ton of water everyday but I have dry mouth from meds so it's a lot easier for me to get my water in...lol.
  • Kelly_1981
    Options
    I am going to start trying to drink 8 cups of water alone and see how I go.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230
    Options
    To me, if it isn't carbonated (unless it is sparkling water.ha!) or loaded with sodium it counts.
  • spottedlee
    Options

Not true. If I have 8-12-15 cups of water down, it's pure water. It's not particully hard to get that many cups of water in a day.
    I beg to disagree because if I drink 8 glass of water, I will pee non-stop,, as many posters said,, there's plenty of water out there,, studies shows that about 90% of all water you need are found in foods. For that reason, I stopped logging in water intake.

Think about catus out in desert,, to many, that's water,, right?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It is correct that any liquid (in food or beverage) will count towards your hydration. But you will get many people telling you that you have to drink loads of plain water and nothing else. Remember as long as your pee is clear or pale yellow, and you aren't thirsty, you are fine.

That's a good marker to check hydration by. Unless you're taking medication or vitamins that make your pee a funky color.