Calories in eggs?

flinchyny
flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
Why does the food database list 3 large hard-boiled eggs as having 233 calories, but list 3 large scrambled eggs as having 304 calories?

Is it assuming the eggs were scrambled in 2 pats of butter? :huh:

Or ... what?

Please help! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• flinchyny
    Why does the food database list 3 large hard-boiled eggs as having 233 calories, but list 3 large scrambled eggs as having 304 calories?

Is it assuming the eggs were scrambled in 2 pats of butter? :huh:

Or ... what?

Please help! :flowerforyou:
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    I would assume that scrambled eggs are cooked in butter. But if you cook them using Pam cooking spray, you will not be adding any calories. While I'm dieting I have been using Pam for any thing that needs to be fried. Besides it keeps food from sticking to the pan.
  • The data base depends on what others enter. If their numbers are wrong, then you suffer the consequence. A lot of folks enter stuff at random, it seems. I noticed the same thing last night when tomatoes came up as 3 calories for 4 ounces.

I try to use the non-member entered items as often as I can, and don't use the cooked food calorie count. I use the raw food count and then add in the calories for whatever I may have cooked it in.

Therefore- I would count 3 eggs, raw---and if I cooked them in butter, I would count the calories for the butter that I used.
  • flinchyny
    Thanks!

I did use the MFP entries, not user-added ones, but it makes sense to just add things raw -- though part of me was worried that the simple act of cooking foods adds calories, though that doesn't really make sense, I guess?
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    The data base depends on what others enter. If their numbers are wrong, then you suffer the consequence. A lot of folks enter stuff at random, it seems. I noticed the same thing last night when tomatoes came up as 3 calories for 4 ounces.

I try to use the non-member entered items as often as I can, and don't use the cooked food calorie count. I use the raw food count and then add in the calories for whatever I may have cooked it in.

Therefore- I would count 3 eggs, raw---and if I cooked them in butter, I would count the calories for the butter that I used.

This is what I do. I start with everything raw......so if I do a scramble its raw eggs, raw mushrooms, raw bell peppers, raw tomatoe, raw garlic and so on. I do not use butter or cooking oil and use a Olive Oil spray very minimally if I need it.

Try the raw results and see what happens.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

56259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    I just use the 70 cals per egg that it states on my carton plus the 8 cals added by my salsa. I don't use any butter just my non stick pan.
This discussion has been closed.