Anxiety/Scared while flying....

2»

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Request 'Snakes on a plane' as the in-flight movie. You know, to take your mind off the fear of gruesome death. Good luck!!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Xanax is my best friend when flying.

This.

My maternal grandparents were killed in the TWA 514 crash, so I've had some major anxiety issues while flying (which I have to do about once a month). I've definitely found it helpful to keep some Xanax in my carry-on just in case...and also, striking up a conversation with your seat mate is a great way to take your mind off the fact that you're flying and helps the flight pass relatively quickly. I've met some of the most interesting people that way!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    I'm an airline pilot. I have talked to people until I'm blue in the face about the incredible engineering that goes into an airplane, the back-up systems, the extensive training and experience requirements that the people fixing, monitoring, planning, flying, etc. are required to have. I have talked about the absolutely incredible safety statistics, how many people fly versus how many accidents there are. You are just about safer in an airplane that you are at home on your couch.

At the end of that people still feel safer getting on the highway surrounded by people driving very fast, very heavy equipment while putting makeup on, texting, eating, driving drunk, than they do by having trained professionals deliver them safely to their destinations.

Clearly I'm not an effective counselor.

I hope that you can find an answer to your flying anxiety. Best of luck.

I believe you :) And I also believe that while planes are fun to fly in, they are a heck of a lot more fun to jump out of :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    gosh i wish i knew, i've been on a plane probably 30ish times and i still hate it

& as far as the car vs plane argument, yes you're more likely to get into a car accident but you're also more likely to survive if you get in a car accident than if you get in a plane accident. It's not a comforting argument.
    I think there is also a control aspect, you feel like you have more control over the situation when you're the one behind the wheel of the car.
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    I take Xanax. I love to travel but have anxiety attacks when flying. Not a pretty sight. I've even thrown out my shoulder by gripping the arm of the seat too hard. I tried everything from bio feedback to alcohol. Xanax worked the best for me. It's not much fun for your partner as you sleep a lot. Also make sure someone is with you at all times. Decision making with Xanax is a joke. I've gotten lost in many a airport after landing. :)

The fear is not based in logic. Um, I'm an engineer and work for a plane company. LMAO The test pilots tease the crap out of me. The planes are safe. *nods*
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    I fly 2-3 weeks a month, and I was scared as hell for awhile. Here are the two reasons I have no fear anymore.

1) I believe when my God decides it's time, What I want or when won't matter. AND

2) There's a hell of a good paycheck waiting at the end of the RT Flight!

Those two combined with a wine or 2 keep me sane!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    These responses are great! Thanks everyone. I feel even more better than I did yesterday. Sounds like Xanax or Ativan will be a win for me! I do believe in God. I'm "ok" with dying (by the time I get on the plane to China-the last thing I want to do before I die is to be able send my kids to college-I still have to have kids before this can happen). It's the falling part that I have fear of.

Love the answers, thanks everyone! Happy New Year's!
  • Spruillie03
    Spruillie03 Posts: 155 Member
    I have the same problem. I self-medicate at the airport bar, but if you're looking for something a little less self-destructive, try reminding yourself that the pilot(s) don't want to die either. They're going to do EVERYthing in their power to keep themselves alive, which in turn, keeps you a live.

That kind of helps me.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    I have the same problem. I self-medicate at the airport bar, but if you're looking for something a little less self-destructive, try reminding yourself that the pilot(s) don't want to die either. They're going to do EVERYthing in their power to keep themselves alive, which in turn, keeps you a live.

That kind of helps me.

Yes. I'm as interested in going home safely to my family as you are to yours.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    I believe you :) And I also believe that while planes are fun to fly in, they are a heck of a lot more fun to jump out of :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
    [/quote]

Always wanted to try that. One of these days!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    hey, what seperates two alcoholics from three nympho maniacs? the cockpit door!!
  • i think some airlines do courses for people that are scared of flying
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    It sounds like a lot of people get meds from the doctor before flying, but it isn't something I would do. You never know how you are going to feel with the meds. Just remember that in however many hours it takes to get there, you will arrive at your destination and enjoy yourselves! The flight does end. :) (I guess if you do get some meds, you could try some at home to make sure they agree with you first)

I love to fly! Everything from take off to landing, etc. My mom didn't like it as much, but what made her get on the plane each and every time was thinking that a 3 hr trip in the air was MUCHHHHH better than driving 3 long days in the car. Also all of her relatives were on the other side waiting for her. Think of all of the fun things you will do when you get there. Turn your nerves into excitement for your trip!!!! You have to think positive, remember "this to shall pass", and you will do it.

Congratulations and have a great trip!!!!!!!! :)
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Xanax is my best friend when flying.

I used to have stark terror while flying. So terrified I felt like throwing up while waiting to board and nearly passing out on takeoff. I had to make several flights in 2010. I took Xanax for the first couple and when I flew those couple of times relaxed and not scared out of my mind, I cut back the dosage for the next flight and did the last one cold turkey. I'm a much better flyer now. Definitely try the Xanax!