Shy Exerciser

Options
So, I have issues with exercising when I'm around people who aren't, with the sole exception of my fiance. For the next few days, I will be at his family's house, and they are around the whole house all day long. There really is no time where I can find a place to exercise alone without inconveniencing them or exercising after midnight (when they all go to bed). I won't be here long enough to go to classes or a join a gym or anything (not that there are any gyms nearby). I was going to go out for a walk, but it's gotten too cold. Any tips for working out on the sly? I'm getting the itch for physical activity and don't want to just keep fidgeting on the computer.

Replies

• elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Maybe bring a jacket on the walk? Whenever I'm away from home, I walk. No excuses. It's free, it's easy, and most importantly, it feels better than no doing anything at all. Good luck!
  • jtmh2012
    jtmh2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't have a solution, but I'm self conscious exercising around people as well. Even at the gym sometimes.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Bundle up and go for a walk if you really feel the need to keep up with your workouts! :)
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Go in to take a long bath and do some jumping jacks, squats, lunges etc... In the bathroom! It sounds silly but it can give you 20 minutes or so to get your heart rate up followed by a quick shower :)
  • Tiffysinsanity
    Tiffysinsanity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've recently had that expierience at my in laws house. I bundled up and went for a walk. Once you get your body heated up it won't be so bad. I think one night it was snowing so it's possible. Try to start out doing a slow jog to warm up a little quicker.
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    I have a coat and scarf and hat and mittens, but my body just doesn't do well in the cold at all. I get rashes and chest pains. It is le suck.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    What do you consider too cold for a walk? I'll walk even when it's well below freezing. I layer with a hat, gloves, wicking shirt, fleece, down jacket, long underwear bottoms, synthetic workout pants, smart wool socks and my shoes. I stay nice and toasty!
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Bundle up and take a walk. I know it is cold (I live in northern ohio) and layers are key. I have to do this when I go to my inlaws because I can't stand sitting still. Good luck. You could also go to your room and do easy calestenics. Just so you are doing something.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Bundle up and walk, if you truely feel it is too cold then can you do body weight exercises; sit-ups; push-ups; scissor kicks in your sleep chamber?
  • rhichi
    Options
    Bathroom exercises are good for the evening, I suppose, but what about in the middle of the day? I can't really clog up the bathroom all day with 5 people around who need it.

As for what is too cold, under 50 degrees I will start having issues. I hate feeling so fragile, but I know that if I just try to "suck it up" it will only serve to make me feel like crap, and then I'll get turned off to exercise completely, which will not help my already wavering motivation.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Is ther a mall you can go walk indoors. My theory is if you are only looking for why you can't do something you will never figure out how to make it work for you.
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I hate exercising around anyone else either. I wait until it is just me and my son at home, then I work out. You could always sneak little things in, like 20 jumping jacks while no one is in the room or squats. Offer to do laundry and do squats while doing that. When going to the bathroom during the day, do little exercises that only take a couple minutes (2 or 3). If you are drinking all of your water, you will probably visit the bathroom often, so you will be able to get a lot in. If there are stairs, you could always "forget something" upstairs and jog up them, do a couple jumping jacks, and jog back down.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Walking at the mall is a great idea!
    Is ther a mall you can go walk indoors. My theory is if you are only looking for why you can't do something you will never figure out how to make it work for you.
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    drive to a mall, and walk the whole mall, but don't buy anything!! Lots of older folks use the indoor malls for their workouts...

-T
  • KayHBE
    KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Why don't you help clean some stuff. Cleaning can burn lots of calories too. Offer to vacuum and wash some windows. Help with laundry. The key really is to keep moving hopefully they have stairs and you can try and go up and down as many times as possible. Then at night do some crunches and maybe some JJ's. Good luck.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You could also do some stuff in a bedroom (tell them you need to take a nap) and if you have a laptop find a youtube video to do. There's more low-key workouts like Tracy Anderson or the walking videos (I forget the name, Leslie something) where you can walk inside in place. I think the mall thing is a good idea if you can get out of the house. Maybe tell them you have an errand to run or forgot to buy a toiletry to get out of the house.
  • rhichi
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I was actually in a mall today, and it was good to get out and around. I'm going to see how many tips I can work together to get a good amount of activity in.