Sugar Free Coconut Brownies

Options
I have yet to try this recipe, but a good friend of mine sent it to me yesterday. She's trying to start a sugar-free line.

I can't wait to try it. I hope it is helpful for some of you!!

For Brownies:
2/3 cup butter
1 cup soft brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
2/3 cup shredded coconut
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup self-rising flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-in square cake pan
with parchment or waxed paper and butter the paper.

TO MAKE BROWNIES: Cream butter and brown sugar, then stir in all of the dry ingredients. Press into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes. It will still feel soft white hot but will grow firm as it cools. Cool in the pan.

Replies

• kym_lewis08
    Options
    I have yet to try this recipe, but a good friend of mine sent it to me yesterday. She's trying to start a sugar-free line.

I can't wait to try it. I hope it is helpful for some of you!!

For Brownies:
    2/3 cup butter
    1 cup soft brown sugar
    1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
    2/3 cup shredded coconut
    2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 cup self-rising flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-in square cake pan
    with parchment or waxed paper and butter the paper.

TO MAKE BROWNIES: Cream butter and brown sugar, then stir in all of the dry ingredients. Press into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes. It will still feel soft white hot but will grow firm as it cools. Cool in the pan.
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Not sure that I have read this post properly BUT I see in the ingredients 1 cup soft brown sugar :noway: in a sugar FREE recipe?????????:devil:

Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.
  • Kmsracer301
    Options
    Jack pot:noway: :ohwell:
  • kym_lewis08
    kym_lewis08 Posts: 393
    Options
    As I stated I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS RECIPE! I simply copied and pasted. If you feel like you dont want to try it that's great,but please keep all rude comments and faces to yourselves.

Thanks much :happy:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone meant to be rude...they were just pointing out that the recipe is NOT sugar free if it contains BROWN sugar. :flowerforyou:
  • Princessme25
    Options
    :happy: havent tried these but also trader joes has some really good fat-free brownies "No Pudge" brownies are soo good. I have review on them on my recipe and cooking blog www.mmmmUmmGood.blogspot.com
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yea, they look delicious, but brown sugar is just table sugar with molasses added to it. :flowerforyou:
  • JasiBella
    JasiBella Posts: 1,168
    Options
    Mmmmmmm.. brownies.... *drool*
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Brown sugar is natural sugar before all the goodness is extracted:noway: .
  • kym_lewis08
    Options
    I was thinking the other day about the sugar "free" brownie ordeal. What do you guys think about using a liquid sweetner?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I was thinking the other day about the sugar "free" brownie ordeal. What do you guys think about using a liquid sweetner?

You mean like an artificial one? Or just a sweet liquid like corn syrup?
  • kym_lewis08
    Options
    An artificial one. I know equate makes a liquid sweetner. I'm kinda new to this eating healthy thing (if it's not already obvious lol) so I'm really not sure what the better choice for this would be.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    An artificial one. I know equate makes a liquid sweetner. I'm kinda new to this eating healthy thing (if it's not already obvious lol) so I'm really not sure what the better choice for this would be.

The liquid would change the texture of the brownie. Splenda measures cup for cup like sugar, but does have some calories. There is a woman here on MFP who uses xylitol which is great for your teeth and doesn't cause GI distress like other artificial sweeteners, but I'm not sure how it's used for baking.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    They still sound good. I'm adding this recipe to my collection. Thanks. :happy: Now I just have to figure out the calories. :ohwell: