Thoughts on a Detox please...

Options
Hello everyone,

Hope you all had a lovely xmas and are suitably prepared to end this year in style tonight. I am determined to party my way into 2012 as 2011 has been such a roller coaster for me, I'm not exactly sad to see the back of it.

Anyway, I have REALLY over indulged this xmas, which is fine, I'm not going to obsess about it. I've been eathign healthily since APril this year with only a few slip-ups so a little indulgence at xmas is certainly not going to kill me.

It does make me very determined to start the year off well though.

So here's my dilemma - Do I just carry on as I was before December and eat mostly healthy and net around 1200 cals a day immediately, or do I do a 3 day detox starting Tuesday to kick things off with a bang.

I know people on this site are not advocates of fad diets and the like, I'm not either. But I just feel so gross after xmas (I have drunk alot of wine and eaten a lot of chocolate) that three days of raw food and only drinking water feels like it might be a good way to really kick the sugar cravings I've been having recently.

What are everyone's thoughts? Has anyone done a detox like this?

Thanks guys xxx

Replies

• zendarah
    zendarah Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    After Christmas I did a fruit and veg only diet (kinda like paleo for a day and a bit). Made me feel good :) A detox would be nice but there's no need to do anything drastic (like the master cleanse, because that stuff is miserable)
  • beckylou66
    beckylou66 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I kinda feel the same way with the wine and fatty foods, dips and chocolates.... I hadn't thought of a detox, what kind of detox are you thinking? maybe that would kickstart me again.... i'm in a major funk after eating terrible this holiday season!
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am going to do the same thing starting tomorrow! I've had so much sugar over the past 3 weeks that I feel gross. I can't curb the cravings either! So starting tomorrow, I'm going to eat tons of fruit and veggies, and grains like lentils and quinoa. I did one after thanksgiving and I felt great! I had smoothies for breakfast, soup for lunch, and then salad or another kind of soup for dinner. Snacks were nuts, fruits, or veggies. No sneaking candy or chocolate, more water, less caffeine.
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My opinion would be to just go back to eating right. The detox will not benifit you as much as just eating right now.
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    Personally I would just get back on the wagon. But honestly, you're talking about eating raw foods and drinking water. That sounds perfectly healthy to me. I think a lot of people think of detox as like, a "no food" diet (inaccurately so). And that's not what you're talking about at all.

So I think you're good either way because both plans of action are really just healthy eating anyways. :) If it helps you to feel motivated like you really jumpstarted, then go for it.

Good luck!!!
    xoxo. Here's to 2012!!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    actually i eat similar to this quite often without realizing it. your body though has its own natural detoxification process though and you can do more harm than good sometimes. you need certain bacteria in your system. let your body do the work. listen to it better, feed it better food, and try not to binge for weeks at a time.but most people worry about the time between christmas and new years and they should be worrying about the time between new years and christmas. throw out anything leftover that may cause you a problem. my house right now is full of sees candy, an open mind you, full size bag of reeses pb cups(my absolutely fave thing in the world i could eat the entire bag in one sitting) three full sized unopened bags of m n ms left over from baking, and various cookies and bars leftover from christmas, but since christmas day i promised myself that i wouldnt bother eating something that i dont need to eat just for the fun of eating it. i worked way to damn hard to get to this point, my body is showing those results quicker than usual thank god for that lol, and i have lost about 13 lbs since restarting 6 wks ago, 3 inches off my waist, and am back into my skinny jeans already! decide what you want and go for it and dont let anyone or anything stop you from getting it! you are so worth it my friend! you can add me to look at my food diary to see what i am eating.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My plan was to drink loads of water, which I do anyway. Cut out caffiene - so fruit teas instead, and eat no processed stuff and limited carbs. So mostly just fresh fruit and veg and fish (I'm veggie, but I do eat fish). I'm not going to go mad, but I do need to stop the sugar madness I've been having lately!
  • PetersonMatthew
    Options
    I have done a few detox myself. The first kind I did was a juice fast for 10 days and the other was a water fast for 8 days. Also do some short juice or water fast few times a month, just 24 hours. Done dozen of them but I would just stick to eating like you were before. Or try your three day fast and becarful how you break it. Good luck
  • CoopsQueen
    CoopsQueen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have done detox treatments, however, are you doing them to drop weight fast in hopes to put you on the right track or is it to REALLY detox yourself to rid your body of all the bad gunk build up you've compiled over the holidays? ;). I would recommend reading a little more on the subject to understand what your are pondering and wanting to get out of it. See which would be best for what you are wanting. I have done a few types and mostly just to drop the weight quickly and see fast results but that was until I actually sat down and really did a little bit of research. I finally came across what is called the Lemonade Cleanse and it is the best yet! This is a no joke detox and cleanse, but it is excruciatingly hard at first! I was very impressed with this cleanse and I would do it time after time, but I am also a person who enjoys working out and this detox and cleanse doesn't give me enough energy or strength to push through a really intense workout, so this detox I use when I have fallen off track and need that hard push to get me back on program. For this one, I would recommend getting the book before starting it because it will give you all in's and out's of this specific detox and cleanse. But, again, do a little google to find out what you feel is best for what you are looking to do ;). Best of luck to you and have a joyful New Year!! Be safe and party like a Rock Star!!!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    My plan was to drink loads of water, which I do anyway. Cut out caffiene - so fruit teas instead, and eat no processed stuff and limited carbs. So mostly just fresh fruit and veg and fish (I'm veggie, but I do eat fish). I'm not going to go mad, but I do need to stop the sugar madness I've been having lately!
    that sounds perfect as i upped my water also
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    After Christmas I did a fruit and veg only diet (kinda like paleo for a day and a bit). Made me feel good :) A detox would be nice but there's no need to do anything drastic (like the master cleanse, because that stuff is miserable)

This. ^ Or a fruit juice cleanse (fat, sick, & nearly dead style, NOT store bought juice) because that way you're still eating, and getting in TONS of nutrients, while allowing your body to get a lot of the junk out. Plus, it will set you up for a healthier diet if you're used to lots of fruits & veggies.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Just carry on.
    Water water water!