Body Fat Reduction (to up calorie intake or not)

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm on that "no room for error" type. That's why I come here for some assistance so I can reach that final goal. The first 10lbs of fat came off so easily but these last 5lbs or so is incredibly hard.

I do not have the budget to get a full set of barbell/dumbbells/whatever so that's a bit hard. I can go gym for the barbell still but gym does not have dumb bells (it's a small gym in my condo and they are afraid people will steal dumb bells). I can just work on all barbell exercises first.

And to supplement that, I'll probably get a pair of 8lbs and 12lbs of dumb bells. They are expensive so again, I'm contemplating.

I have resistance bands (http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Special-Triple-Resistance-Cable/dp/B00069CP26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325345178&sr=8-1) and they are quite nice. So if my budget does not allow for further investment, I'll stick to this for now.

I'll increase my carb intake a bit and overall calorie intake to GROSS 1700 for starters, alternate between barbell and INSANITY and hopefully, we'll see some difference.
    Consider a TRX system if you can't afford to spend a lot on weights. It not that expensive for what you can do with it. I've trained many clients with it and there's lots of good strength training you can do with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I had a co worker that did Insanity and reached her goal weight and was very happy. She enjoyed Insanity so much that she continued doing it even after I suggested she stop and give her body rest and do some strength training. She didn't. After gaining every pound back that she had lost I told her to wear her HR monitor for 24 hrs to see how many calories she's buring. Get this...5500 calories in a day with only 1 workout. She went to see her Dr. and every thing checked out normal. I don't know what else to tell her.
    But I would suggest you wear a HR monitor for 24 hrs to get your daily burn and then move on from there.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I had a co worker that did Insanity and reached her goal weight and was very happy. She enjoyed Insanity so much that she continued doing it even after I suggested she stop and give her body rest and do some strength training. She didn't. After gaining every pound back that she had lost I told her to wear her HR monitor for 24 hrs to see how many calories she's buring. Get this...5500 calories in a day with only 1 workout. She went to see her Dr. and every thing checked out normal. I don't know what else to tell her.
    But I would suggest you wear a HR monitor for 24 hrs to get your daily burn and then move on from there.
    HRM wouldn't give an accurate reading as heartrate can be raised by stress, fear, excitement etc. Emotions like this don't burn more calories because they raise heart rate.

IDEA Fitness member
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options

I'll increase my carb intake a bit and overall calorie intake to GROSS 1700 for starters, alternate between barbell and INSANITY and hopefully, we'll see some difference.

As a point of clarity, the recommended intake I listed is final intake. You would not eat back exercise calories with this recommendation and for that 1 week period you should just eat the same intake regardless of rest day vs exercise.

After that one week period is up, drop calories back down per your original plan.

I got you loud and clear. 1700 without eating back calories. ^.^ I'll try to get about 100g of protein and 45g of fat and fill the rest with carbs. Is there a preferred way of taking carb?

For example, on the day I do lifting, I take more than 100g of protein (less carb) and on the day I do INSANITY, I take like 80g of protein (more carb) kind of thing or do they not matter so much in this sense? A

Also for protein, does it matter so much if I eat dark meat as opposed to white meat? Should I be concerned about lean meat vs the fat that come along with thighs/legs. I'm asking because dark meat is CHEAPER! haha. Beef is more expensive so I only take chicken (and occasional treat of more expensive pork).

I should definitely invest in some sort of dumb bell thing. Strength training is definitely something that I've been wanting to do.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I got you loud and clear. 1700 without eating back calories. ^.^ I'll try to get about 100g of protein and 45g of fat and fill the rest with carbs. Is there a preferred way of taking carb?

I prefer orally. =)

For example, on the day I do lifting, I take more than 100g of protein (less carb) and on the day I do INSANITY, I take like 80g of protein (more carb) kind of thing or do they not matter so much in this sense?

I don't think it matters provided that you are able to provide ample energy to complete your workouts and day to day functions. If you FEEL fine eating roughly the same macro intake daily, then go for it.
    Also for protein, does it matter so much if I eat dark meat as opposed to white meat? Should I be concerned about lean meat vs the fat that come along with thighs/legs. I'm asking because dark meat is CHEAPER! haha. Beef is more expensive so I only take chicken (and occasional treat of more expensive pork).

As long as you're logging the fat content I don't find anything wrong with fatty meats. For variety sake I would suggest getting all your macronutrients from varied sources.

I should definitely invest in some sort of dumb bell thing. Strength training is definitely something that I've been wanting to do.

I have a friend who uses powerblocks and likes them a lot, it's an adjustable set of DB's. Check into gym memberships too, just in case you can find a special somewhere.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    ]Consider a TRX system if you can't afford to spend a lot on weights. It not that expensive for what you can do with it. I've trained many clients with it and there's lots of good strength training you can do with it.

IDEA Fitness member

^ Also, listen to Niner. He trains people for a living. I'm not familiar with a TRX system but you should check it out.
  • leenites
    Options
    TRX is kind of hard to get over here. I'm no longer located in USA unfortunately. Some third world country won't even have heard of TRX to be honest. I'll try to ask my friend in USA if they can help buy and send over though.

A dumbbell set seems to be more do-able currently. There's a set where you can adjust the weights using different combos of weight plates up to 10kg, which will cost about $46 and there's another one that can adjust up to 15kg. That one cost more, about $78. haha. For a reference, my monthly wage is about $1,100 pre-tax. ^.^
  • leenites
    Options
    Another question.
    Is it worth it to get a HRM to estimate how much calories I burn? If yes, which model would people recommend for the kind of activities that I engage in?
    Budget can go up to $100 if needed but if they are mostly bells and whistles, nah ...
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Another question.
    Is it worth it to get a HRM to estimate how much calories I burn? If yes, which model would people recommend for the kind of activities that I engage in?
    Budget can go up to $100 if needed but if they are mostly bells and whistles, nah ...

IMO, unless you're just curious, you don't really need one if you're not eating back your exercise calories. Also, they're not accurate for weight training sessions....or so I've seen on here.
  • leenites
    Options
    Another question.

IMO, unless you're just curious, you don't really need one if you're not eating back your exercise calories. Also, they're not accurate for weight training sessions....or so I've seen on here.

I see. I was thinking that the HRM would be used when I do Insanity. I plan to alternate one day Insanity, one day barbell training for starters. Going straight to strength training without finishing my Insanity Asylum program seems a bit incomplete (20 more days to go after all). I did another round of Insanity Asylum today and tomorrow, I will work on my shoulder and my arms.

Today, I am going to attempt for 1600 calories min. Had a lot more fruits than usual (as protein intake remains at 1g per lbs but overall calorie intake increases). Oh man, eating unprocessed real food can make it hard to get to 1700 a day.

One more question, if you boil vegetables, do those nutrients get lost in process? Should I drink the soup that I boil the veggies in? I'm slightly confused about this aspect actually.

Thanks for answering!
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    Another question.

I see. I was thinking that the HRM would be used when I do Insanity. I plan to alternate one day Insanity, one day barbell training for starters. Going straight to strength training without finishing my Insanity Asylum program seems a bit incomplete (20 more days to go after all). I did another round of Insanity Asylum today and tomorrow, I will work on my shoulder and my arms.

Today, I am going to attempt for 1600 calories min. Had a lot more fruits than usual (as protein intake remains at 1g per lbs but overall calorie intake increases). Oh man, eating unprocessed real food can make it hard to get to 1700 a day.

One more question, if you boil vegetables, do those nutrients get lost in process? Should I drink the soup that I boil the veggies in? I'm slightly confused about this aspect actually.

Thanks for answering!

I have never done Insanity. Is it mostly like circuit training? If so then I suppose a HRM would give you a fairly accurate readout. Again, if your not eating your calories you wouldn't really need one unless you like numbers :) I have a Polar FT7 but I have only used it once. :ohwell:

Some vitamins are lost in cooking, but you still get plenty if you have a varied diet. I wouldn't go so far as to drink the water you cook them in. But to each their own! Cooking actually increases some of the antioxidents in certain vegetables like carrots (beta carotene and phenolic acid) and tomatoes (lycopene).
  • leenites
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I just want to update everyone on what happened this past 2 weeks since I asked this question.

I upped my total caloric intake (and hence the net) as you can see here. Net calories around 1500.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/netcalories.jpg/

I have been taking more protein too (130-150g) a day and alternate INSANITY: Asylum with strength training (3 days each).
    Strength training are broken down to:

1. Chest/Arm/Shoulder
    2. Legs/Back/Abs

The progress so far:
    No weight change so far, measurements no significant change too though this morning my waist (I take around belly button) is 27.5 (from 28).

I definitely feel my arms gaining more definitions. My abs are showing some "shadows" but nothing too significant.

One thing for sure is that I'm not longer TIRED. Back when I was taking NET 1200, I felt tired all the time. Now, I'm actually energetic. That's a BIG BIG plus.

Am I on the right track people? I know this is a patience game. ^.^ I have not had the privilege to go to a fitness shop to measure my body fat percentage so no update there. =(
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I just want to update everyone on what happened this past 2 weeks since I asked this question.

I upped my total caloric intake (and hence the net) as you can see here. Net calories around 1500.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/netcalories.jpg/

I have been taking more protein too (130-150g) a day and alternate INSANITY: Asylum with strength training (3 days each).
    Strength training are broken down to:

1. Chest/Arm/Shoulder
    2. Legs/Back/Abs

The progress so far:
    No weight change so far, measurements no significant change too though this morning my waist (I take around belly button) is 27.5 (from 28).

I definitely feel my arms gaining more definitions. My abs are showing some "shadows" but nothing too significant.

One thing for sure is that I'm not longer TIRED. Back when I was taking NET 1200, I felt tired all the time. Now, I'm actually energetic. That's a BIG BIG plus.

Am I on the right track people? I know this is a patience game. ^.^ I have not had the privilege to go to a fitness shop to measure my body fat percentage so no update there. =(

The scale hasn't moved! That stinks :( It seems like you're doing everything right. :) Your diary looks good as far as calories and macros....it would be interesting to see what your body fat % is.....BUT it's only been 2 weeks! Give it time.

You COULD take a week or two off and eat at maintenance and then start dieting again. That may get your hormones back in line if they are out of whack... Do you ever have "cheat days?"

Thinking about the HRM question again, if you want to spend the money, maybe consider something like a BodyMedia FIT armband (or something similar) that will tell you how many calories you burn TOTAL in a whole day (your TDEE). Then you will be able to more accurately calculate your calorie intake depending on that.....idk.

Maybe Sidesteal has some more advise?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale. If the goal is to get body fat down, then it's DEFINTION that counts. Also since it's been only a couple of weeks, strength training does cause water/glycogen retention temporarily.

IDEA Fitness member
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Anyone care to take a look over my diary? I'm trying to gain more lean muscle. I have gradually increased my cals over last 6 months and have noticed my weight go up a fair bit. I'm still not sure i'm eating enough. Trying to have cheat meals here and there to mix it up. I'm 5ft...54kg, 26% BF.
  • leenites
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale. If the goal is to get body fat down, then it's DEFINTION that counts. Also since it's been only a couple of weeks, strength training does cause water/glycogen retention temporarily.

IDEA Fitness member

I searched for glycogen retention online but was not able to understand the concept of it fully. What is the difference between water and glycogen retention if I may ask?

Also, this week is the last week I can keep to my "clean" dietary eating because Friday, I'm flying back to my hometown to celebrate Lunar New Year with family and friends. Those festivals will always involve food but NOT exercise so I'm a bit weary. =(
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I searched for glycogen retention online but was not able to understand the concept of it fully. What is the difference between water and glycogen retention if I may ask?

Also, this week is the last week I can keep to my "clean" dietary eating because Friday, I'm flying back to my hometown to celebrate Lunar New Year with family and friends. Those festivals will always involve food but NOT exercise so I'm a bit weary. =(

Glycogen retention is the body's adaptation to a training stimulus that uses primarily glycogen for fuel in order to make sure there is enough fuel for future workouts. Muscles don't share glycogen, so if you train your biceps and store more glycogen in them, you will not have that glycogen available in the quadriceps for future training so it is a necessary storage for weight training of specific muscles. If not trained often enough, then the glycogen storage capacity of the muscles decreases back to normal, so to maintain that extra fuel for workouts you have to continue your training program. This is why some people say that their muscle pump goes away in a few days after weight training because the body didn't have that additional training stimulus to tell it to maintain those extra glycogen stores. After a while of training regularly, the body determines a set point of glycogen that the muscles will need to provide adequate fuel for your workouts and then you may not notice the storage as much. When you store glycogen in the muscles, you have to store it in 3 times as much water as glycogen. This is necessary to provide the storage medium and the hydrogen and oxygen (from the breakdown of water into its constituent parts) used in the metabolism of glycogen and fat. This is a good type of water retention in the muscles. While you will hear people complain of retaining water in this forum, the water stored with glycogen isn't a problem for the body. The form of water retention that is a problem for the body is from excessive salt intake because that type of water retention is demonstrative of an issue with the kidneys ability to excrete it and the excess salt from the body and can be a cause of high blood pressure.
  • leenites
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation in regards to water/glycogen.

I think this coming 9-day break (20th Jan - 28th Jan) might be the best way to break the plateau. haha. Stop workout, stop protein shakes, eat and enjoy myself for the Lunar New Year, load up on all those carbs, come back and shock my body with some cardio and weightlifting.

It'll be interesting to see what happens after I come back from that holiday. It'll be so hard to eat healthy on those days. On the upside, chinese loves meat. So I won't be deprived of protein.

Or do people think that I should still keep to a strict maconutrient management and eat at 1500 NET calories for this coming festivities? Or should I go crazy for a week? haha.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Bump...and if anyone can look at my post just above the last two
  • mad4beinhere
    mad4beinhere Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump