Advice Needed on Blister Issues

Options
I recently got some orthotics and placed them in my Asics gel's and after 20 mins, they gave me a blister on the right foot. I have tried everything I can think of to pad the site with every manner or blister patch sold, and also a layer of gauze for padding. I have tied my shoelaces to ensure the back of the shoe is a tight as possible so it does not slip, but still after about 30mins the blister begins to burn and usually by 45mins I have to stop for fear that it will actually make it worse. Normal walking no issues, only when I am on the treadmill walking 3.5mph and 10-15% incliine does this seem to be an issue. I also have small bones spurs on my heels and this may contribute to the issues of discomfort, but right now it is this blister. While it is better, it is still not touch enough to manage 60 mins of power walking, any thoughts of other things I could wrap the heel with?

Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Did it happen before the orthotics? If not, then why did you add them? Short answer might be to take them out.

If they're necessary for other reasons, then one trick I use when backpacking is to rub vaseline on hot spots beforehand - the lubrication can reduce the tendency to blister. I'll rub a little on my heel and between my toes - never have had a blister when I remember to do this ahead of the hike.

Has the original blister healed yet? If not, I'd wait until it was fully healed (or at least sealed over) before running again.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    No it did happen once I began using the orthotics, and yes due to flat feet I am to use them as I was having a lot of foot pain and shin splints. the blister is not 100% healed, but it is not fresh, just seems to keep getting irritated and begins to burn with pain at about the 35 min mark of the brisk walk.

thanks for the comments I will give that a try as well.