weight training/muscle toning

Options
I am in need of adding weight training/muscle toning to my workout. Is once a week enough or not? I am trying to do 45 minutes of cardio at least 5 days a week, so I don't have a lot of extra time during the week to fit in a toning/strengthening session. Maybe 15 minutes a day during the week for strengthening with a resistance band and a longer session on the weekends would help?

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I was told you should work each muscle group at least 2X week, optimal 3X week.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'd cut down on the cardio so you can start strength training. You can do 2 or 3 days a week of strength training - just make sure you're hitting all/most of the muscle groups on those days. Note, cardio is great for burning fat, but it also burns muscle mass. Check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325380574&sr=8-1.

I've been lifting in a somewhat disorganized fashion since September. I only do a little bit of cardio. I exercise about 5 days a week, sometimes 4. Despite this, I've been losing weight consistently. I'm starting the "New Rules" program on Monday.

Good luck!