My rant for the day...

Options
You know, I was a weight loss counselor for several years, and I thrived and loved every minute of it. Especially the part where I was able to help people sort through the intricate miles of misinformation and myths of weightloss. So fast forward through a few years of research, diet fads, ridiculous and lame nutritional supplement claims and I was left asking "how in the hell can anybody sort out what to eat" with all this information? It's like putting a humidifier and dehumidifier in the same room and letting them battle it out.

Well, thanks to MFP, I found my way again. And I did the happy dance! In my newfound interest in my health and eating habits, I decided to get my cholesterol checked. Well my numbers came up perfect.

Okay.

So today I'm watching a commercial while on the treadmill and some company was spouting that even though my cholesterol may be within normal limits, I should really be concerned if my HDL (good cholesterol) is high enough. :sick:

Are they kidding me with this? Take the vitamins, don't take the vitamins; drink the water, you don't need the water; good cholesterol? who cares....you should have studied harder for that test sweet pea!

Is anybody else frustrated by this crap, or is it just me?

Whew! I'm better now. Of course, now I have to conduct Internet research to determine how I can improve my already perfect cholesterol.....:wink:

Replies

• firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You know, I was a weight loss counselor for several years, and I thrived and loved every minute of it. Especially the part where I was able to help people sort through the intricate miles of misinformation and myths of weightloss. So fast forward through a few years of research, diet fads, ridiculous and lame nutritional supplement claims and I was left asking "how in the hell can anybody sort out what to eat" with all this information? It's like putting a humidifier and dehumidifier in the same room and letting them battle it out.

Well, thanks to MFP, I found my way again. And I did the happy dance! In my newfound interest in my health and eating habits, I decided to get my cholesterol checked. Well my numbers came up perfect.

Okay.

So today I'm watching a commercial while on the treadmill and some company was spouting that even though my cholesterol may be within normal limits, I should really be concerned if my HDL (good cholesterol) is high enough. :sick:

Are they kidding me with this? Take the vitamins, don't take the vitamins; drink the water, you don't need the water; good cholesterol? who cares....you should have studied harder for that test sweet pea!

Whew! I'm better now. Of course, now I have to conduct Internet research to determine how I can improve my already perfect cholesterol.....:wink:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Okay.

TV ....only watch classic movies...life gets better with less advertisments ...selling us junk based on fear
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    That is almost like one week...red wine is good for your ( in moderation) and the next any amount is bad for you:angry:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    My good cholestrol is too low per my doctor and my blood work she told me to work out MORE- Yeah already doing 4-6 days a week for atleast an hour each time- and now I have to workout MORE its a never ending battle..
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    They're just talking about high enough in relation to your LDL cholesterol. Even if your cholesterol is under 200, if your LDL cholesterol is 100, and your HDL cholesterol is 20, you don't have great cholesterol. It's low, but not optimal. So they're not saying to get your HDL cholesterol so high that it's over 200 on its own, just to try to improve the ratio. Just like improving your body composition is more important than just losing weight.
  • chinadolly
    Options

Okay.

TV ....only watch classic movies...life gets better with less advertisments ...selling us junk based on fear
    [/quote]

My TV time is limited to Jerry Springer, that says it all :laugh:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    They're just talking about high enough in relation to your LDL cholesterol. Even if your cholesterol is under 200, if your LDL cholesterol is 100, and your HDL cholesterol is 20, you don't have great cholesterol. It's low, but not optimal. So they're not saying to get your HDL cholesterol so high that it's over 200 on its own, just to try to improve the ratio. Just like improving your body composition is more important than just losing weight.
    [/quote

my not good for you cholestrol is perfect per the doctor and my blood work but my good cholestrol is really low and all she could do was say work out more- because I already eat right and workout now so she just said workout more
  • firewalking
    Options
    LOL. I do everything I am supposed to do...exercise 7 days a week - cardio on all seven, weight training five (two with a trainer); I take Omega 3s, a multivitamin, don't smoke, drink or shoot heroine :wink:. I even get 7 hours of sleep a night. I have always eaten tons of veggies, and red meat only once a month.

There is just nothing left for me to change.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    In my early 20s they said

Grilled hamburgers give you cancer

I QUIT eating hamburgers.

Red dye #7 gives you cancer

I QUIT eating marachino cherries

SEX gives you cancer

WTH, Ima gonna die anyway!!

Had me a burger and shirley temple that night!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

SEX gives you cancer

LOL, JUST the burger and the shirley temple? :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

SEX gives you cancer

I never gave THAT :noway: up!!! If im gonna die, might as well eat cherries!:laugh: :laugh:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

SEX gives you cancer

I never gave THAT :noway: up!!! If im gonna die, might as well eat cherries!:laugh: :laugh:
    Here here woman!! :drinker: :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

SEX gives you cancer

Here here woman!! :drinker: :laugh:

:drinker: Cheerios Mate!
  • greeneggsam
    greeneggsam Posts: 121
    Options

Okay.

The best part of this is that one of the side effects of the medication is probably increasing your LDL (bad cholesterol). That'd be the kicker! You know, like the asthma medications that increase the risk of asthma-related death?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    You know, like the asthma medications that increase the risk of asthma-related death?

YES! I heard that commercial getting ready for work the other morning.
  • vegrunner
    vegrunner Posts: 42
    Options
    I hear you!!! The problem with so many short news bytes and advertisements is that they focus on one thing; i.e.resveretrol, omega 3s, etc. Paying attention to the latest studies and diet supplement manufacturers will make your head spin! I go with what has stayed constant over the years. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, eat whole grains, keep sugars low, avoid artificial sweeteners, avoid artificial flavors and colors, drink plenty of water and keep saturated fats and cholesterol to a minimum. You On A Diet is a great book for anyone wanting to know the simple facts about diet and food.

As for as ldl/hdl songbyrdsweet put it very well.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    We all must remember the commercials are all about drug companies making money and some of the studies that are done and where this info is coming from is from questionable studies being paid for by the drug companies.
  • firewalking
    Options
    We all must remember the commercials are all about drug companies making money and some of the studies that are done and where this info is coming from is from questionable studies being paid for by the drug companies.

HERE HERE!
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Of course they say this- They don't really want us to be healthy- they want us to always think we are sick and have something wrong...,.. as hard of a pill is for most people to swallow- it's the truth. Companies/ etc make more money- they sicker and unhealthier we are.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    AreWeThereYet, you crack me up. :laugh: :laugh: Remember when red M&Ms went away due to the red dye number 7 scare?

Check out this thread started by FitnessChick, great information: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/43234-what-the-diet-industry-won-t-tell-you

Have a good day all!