wheat free?? day 1

Hi ..I need some serious motivation. I started going wheat free today...anyone done it or trying it?
I really need to get down 40 lbs by May...Im about 193 right now...tell me what works for you!!!

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    I'm gluten free (wheat, barley, rye) due to Celiac's. It's not necessarily something that has helped me lose weight, though. I actually find it somewhat harder to find filling, low cal, balanced food that doesn't have wheat in it than that does.
  • jsv454
    jsv454 Posts: 30 Member
    I gave up all grain about 3 months ago, and have never felt better. I eat tons of veggies, protein, good fat, and some (full-fat) dairy and fruit. I have so much more energy, and feel better overall, plus I lost 32 pounds without really trying! I follow a Primal/Paleo lifestyle, which gets lots of people around here riled up, but I feel the best I have ever felt in my life, so I just let the haters hate and do my thing :)

Good luck with going wheat-free! The first week or 2 can be tough, but once you get past the cravings, I think you will be amazed at how great you feel!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    I don't think are bodies are designed to process whole grains. They really don't offer nutritional benefits in fact our bodies can't even digest whole corn. My regularity is much better since i stopped consuming whole grains namely wheat. I do occasionally eat white bread and pasta. They are easier for our bodies to process and digest then unrefined wheat products. Growing up we always had white bread and butter on the table. We could care less about fiber intake and our population 30 years ago had an obese rate just over 10%.. People ate ALOT and weren't fat like they are today. This whole fiber agenda is a multi-billion dollar industry. We need to get back to our natural roots. Lard and Butter instead of vegetable based oils and margarine/spreads. I eat rice everyday but find in general i could pretty much live without wheat. I probably eat wheat products once or twice a week as it is.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    I'm wheat free... i allow gluten free bread once a week as love scrambled egg on toast at weekend, sometimes i use gluten free pitta bread to make healthy kebab or pizza base.

I allow rice krispies and oats at breakfast but don't eat rice with meals and restrict potatoes to once a week so for most of the week I'm low carb/wheat free and lost 32lbs.

if you look for gluten free substitutes you can still treat yourself once a week you may find it easier to stick to the diet... waitrose do a nice gluten free choc brownie under 300cals for a treat! .. I exercise on the days I treat for at least an hour 600-800cals.. so i cover the extra cals and still have a deficit.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I am grain free, but not paleo or raw.

Pam
  • suchick
    suchick Posts: 13 Member
    I read "Wheat Belly" over the holidays and frankly, it freaked me out. It's the type of clinical, scientific information that you can't "un know" once you read it. So I thought I'd give being wheat free a try for 30 days, to see if I felt and noticed a difference in my health and well being.

I'm 3 weeks in, and here's that changes noted to date:

- dropped 8 lbs
    - lost the low grade constant 'bloated' feeling
    - night sweats reduced to none, from at least 3 incidents per night
    - hot flashes during day down to rare/infrequent, from at least 2 per day
    - abdominal cramping gone
    - right hip joint no longer "tweaky" & inflamed

It's frikken weird. This can't all be coincidental.

I'm going to ride the wheat free train past my 30 day "test" period. The results are just too compelling to ignore. It's taken me a while to re-program my automatic responses to food (i.e. no more cereal for breakfast / Triscuits for snacks / flatbreads with lunch etc) But I am discovering an entire new world of food options at the health food store ! (Oh hai Go Go Quinoa Orange Zest Cookies ! I *heart* you !)
  • pat48
    pat48 Posts: 4
    Hi I think that going wheat free as a choice is good you will feel better for it as it is more natural than manufactured wheat is. However for celiacs there is no choice, my daughter was diagnosed last year and it is hard as gluten is in lots of things that you would never imagine. ~She has not lost weight if anything has put on as she is healthier than she has been in about 5 years. The good side is after suffering a few miscarriages now thought to be linked, she is 3 months and has never looked better.
    Good luck with the wheat free!