Losing weight faster than estimated

Options
2»

Replies

• grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Weighing regularly, like every morning, shouldn't drive you crazy. I actually read in an article in can help keep you in check. If it jumps up, then you can snap back into the right way of doing things. If you put it off to do weekly, you won't catch a gain as quickly and once a month is crazy. I still only post weigh ins once a week. And I have cut back to try and do every couple of days...but there is nothing wrong with doing it daily just to check in. Several times a day is when it is out of control :)
  • mkitts2011
    Options
    I call it "broccoli shock" when I begin a diet and a ton of weight comes off right away. Our bodies are loving the good food we are putting in! It certainly is a great motivator to keep up the hard work!

Haha, broccoli shock. I like that.
  • Boulder_ME
    Options
    One of the habits of the folks in the National Weight Control Registry (people who have lost > 30 lbs and maintained that loss for > 1 year) is daily weight ins (according to http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?ref=general&src=me&pagewanted=all according to the registry itself 75% of members weigh themselves at least once a week. (http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm)

I know I like to weigh daily--understanding that I fluctuate up to 2 lbs or so just with "normal" changes. I'll only "weigh-in" once a week, but daily monitoring helps prevent (demoralizing) surprises.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've read that as well but, I am a procrastinator by nature so daily weigh-ins help keep me on track.

I weigh in every single day. I've learned a lot about my body by doing this. Things that may freak other people out? Well, they don't bother me because I've learned about my body by weighing everyday. I know what foods make me retain water, I know how medications affect me, I know what my normal "range" is, I know how much water I need, etc. There are a lot of benefits (IMO) to weighing in daily. Now, if you are going to get overly obsessive about it? Don't. But, I think if more people weighed in daily they would learn more about their body and wouldn't freak out over a pound gained or whatever. They would know their normal range, would know how things affect the number on the scale and would calm down.
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day because it keeps me on track. When I avoid the scales I don't eat right. Out of sight out of mind. and yes I do have some crazy fluctuations some days--I only post my weekly official weigh-in.

Good job on a fast start. just don't get discouraged when it slows down.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm new to MFP and I've been losing weight much faster than the system calculates. I have been eating my calories. Is this normal in the beginning for someone very heavy (370lbs) to drop weight extremely fast? I lost 2.8lbs overnight.
    It's quite normal, so enjoy but don't get down in the mouth when the weight loss settles into a pattern of 1lb per week.
  • DeniseAS
    Options
    I hear the heavier a person is, the quicker you lose it. It's harder for someone to lose that only has 20 lbs. or less to take off. It will be fast at first, but eventually will slow down.
  • MummyHungry
    MummyHungry Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal for the weight to come off quick for the first week or two, then settle down to 1 or 2 lbs a week. Enjoy the head start with realistic expectations, and you won't be discouraged when it slows to normal. Daily weigh-ins are only a problem if you get disappointed easily. I weigh every morning, and occasionally the number is higher than the day before, but I always know the downward trend will win out. ^_^
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm new to MFP and I've been losing weight much faster than the system calculates. I have been eating my calories. Is this normal in the beginning for someone very heavy (370lbs) to drop weight extremely fast? I lost 2.8lbs overnight.

The more overweight you are, the more weight can drop off quickly in the beginning.

That's why on TV programs such as The Biggest Loser, they tend to shed many pounds each week. Hell, some of the contestants have been known to shift 14lbs in one week!

As your weight lowers your weight loss will most likely slow down and find its level.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    double posted for some reason.
  • twiztdskitz
    Options
    starting at 370, you are totally going to see your weight drop fast in the beginning. Us big people burn more calories moving our heavier bodies than smaller people moving their little bodies. I weigh when I feel like it LOL. Sometimes I'll do every morning. Sometimes I'll wait til the weekend. What irritates me is the pre-period water weight gain. Ugh. When doing daily weighing, that can really rock the mental boat.

Anyways, Hope you find whats right for YOU and have an amazing journey :))