question about strength training

Options
Georg
Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
If I log in my walking or other cardio, mfp tells me how many calories I burned, but not when I log in crunches, push ups, weights, etc. Aren't I burning calories then?

Replies

• Georg
    Options
    If I log in my walking or other cardio, mfp tells me how many calories I burned, but not when I log in crunches, push ups, weights, etc. Aren't I burning calories then?
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a question about that too. How does one figure how many calories they burn during strength training without some expensive 350.00 dollar gadget?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    To get the calories counted, log it under the Cardiovascular section.

If you get a really nice heart rate monitor with a chest strap, you can get a pretty good estimate of what you're burning.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Agree with the Heart Rate Monitor...I'm cheap and didn't want to spend $$$, this is the one I picked out and its very helpfull. Its on Amazon right now for $58, I got mine for $45 and naturally a week after I received mine Amazon had it on sale for $29.99:grumble: Its a good investment in my opinion!

Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch
  • Georg
    Options
    I've tried logging it under cardio, but it doesn't show up there & it doesn't calculate calories.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I JUST got my HRM & MFP was telling me I was burning something like 150 cals during my 40 min. sculpting routine...turns out it was closer to 290-300. Same for a 20 min. ab routine. MFP = 60...reality = 120ish.

The best bet is the HRM (although I was cheap & didn't want to spend $ on it for MONTHS)...now that I have it, I should have done it a long time ago!

Good luck to you!
  • Georg
    Options
    I'll watch that Timex on Amazon for a while & see if it goes down in price.
    Thanks for all your input. I'd never researched hrms before, so this is all new to me.
    thanks
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I checked out some reviews of Timex watches on Amazon. There were quite a few complaints on several differant Timex watches on not keeping accurate calorie counting. That the count was higher than it should be. I love Timex and currently have an Ironmen. I would love to buy an HR should I wait awhile make sure they got all the bugs out?