I don't really like veggies or fruit

Options

Replies

• theome
    theome Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Taste palets change when you get older. Tons of veggies I hated growing up I can eat now. Others I still dislike no matter what. Pick a veggie and prepare it in three popular but different ways. One of them might not be so bad. I never liked asparagus growing up but find I enjoy it when it's baked with evoo, rosemerry, pamersean and salt over them being streamed. I love baby spinach fresh and raw but gag when its cooked. I live kale baked with olive oil spray and garlic powder. I would highly recommend moving away from canned fruit in all that syrup and really go for fresh. Pears are great when you bake them with a little cinnamon and surger.
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    girl you might consider Shakeology. fitcounselor sells it
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    girl you might consider Shakeology. fitcounselor sells it

Shakeology doesnt solve her problem - the problem is she is acknowledging she needs to change her eating habits for the better and is asking for help. THAT is what people really should be considering first...
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    OH AND - one of the few foods I HATED as a child (uh, I was a gooood eater... and thankfully got fed whole foods, mostly!) was cauliflower... HUGE REVELATION for me as an adult has been ROASTED cauliflower. Someone suggested this with broccoli, I think cauli kicks it, tho, in the roasting dept. pan spray, small-chopped fresh cauliflower, pan spray - plain or sprinkle on some ground cumin or other spice of choice - roast at 400 20 - 30 minutes (or more - keep an eye on it) till there are plenty of crunchy brown bits. Absolutely amazing stuff. Sprinkle lightly with salt if desired and eat like popcorn. You could also put pasta sauce over it at this point, and some chicken italian sausage, a few grates of parmesan... heaven.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,683 Member
    Options
    I am a picky eater. I am trying to change that but so far not so good.
    When it comes to fruit I like:
    Strawberries
    Bananas but only mixed in something
    Apples only in applesauce
    Pineapple--I can only have can fresh us to acid and I break out
    I am allergic to oranges and high citrus fruits
    I like pears and peaches but only canned and mixed with other fruits,

Veggies:
    Peas
    Corn
    Carrots I will purree and eat in Spaghetti sauce

Thats it! How do I eat healthier and lower calories? I am willing to "sneak" healthy food into meals like I do the carrots. I am the only picky dieter?
    I am a really picky eater too, and I don't like much in the way of fruits or veggies either. I don't disagree with the people who say you (I) would be better off learning to eat more, but that's not likely to make me change how I eat. I focus on eating whole grains and lean protein, making sure to get plenty of fiber in my diet. I do like raw spinach, so I eat that pretty much every single afternoon. Feel free to look at my diary if you think it might help. I'm not saying I'm the poster child for how someone should eat, but I feel like I do all right, considering.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    That's tough... I'd say work on finding ways to prepare things in a way you can tolerate (and hopefully begin to like) and stretching yourself in the area of taste.

But some "sneaky" ways to get veggies in.
    -Boil cauliflower and mash it in to some potatoes (equal parts).
    -I blend spinach and/or kale into fruit smoothies, you can see it in the color but the flavor is almost unnoticeable

That's all that pops to mind now... good luck!
    do you have a recipe for the spinach fruit smoothies..i need to get more veggies in to
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Green Smoothies! The list of fruits and veggies I would eat is even smaller than yours! I've probably gone months if not longer without consuming a single fruit or vegetable. That had to change when I decided to start eating healthy and take care of my body.

Try mixing some spinach in with banana and fruits that you like in a blender. Add yogurt if you like. Up the amount of green you add to your smoothie slowly and you won't even taste it. Some people add milk or juice. There is no right or wrong way to make one. If you like how it tastes then it's right! Oh and some people mix them with Protein powders to up the nutrition and flavor. I've done it a couple of times and have to admit it's like healthy ice-cream :)

Try different greens. Spinach, Kale, Lettuce and I've even heard of Collards and Cabbage in them. I haven't been that brave yet but I will be soon :)
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Roasting veggies brings out their natural sugars, so they are a bit sweeter, definitely try that.
  • danniellexxx
    Options
    Well try mixing them in with foods you like, try a wide variety cooked or raw and see if you can find some more you like and if that doesnt work, then try lower calorie meals and more exercise...
  • cramernh
    Options
    Green Smoothies! The list of fruits and veggies I would eat is even smaller than yours! I've probably gone months if not longer without consuming a single fruit or vegetable. That had to change when I decided to start eating healthy and take care of my body.

Try mixing some spinach in with banana and fruits that you like in a blender. Add yogurt if you like. Up the amount of green you add to your smoothie slowly and you won't even taste it. Some people add milk or juice. There is no right or wrong way to make one. If you like how it tastes then it's right! Oh and some people mix them with Protein powders to up the nutrition and flavor. I've done it a couple of times and have to admit it's like healthy ice-cream :)

Try different greens. Spinach, Kale, Lettuce and I've even heard of Collards and Cabbage in them. I haven't been that brave yet but I will be soon :)

Pardon me while I just say, Baby Spinach and Strawberry makes one hell of a protein smoothie!!! I even make a spiced pumpkin protein smoothie too... OHHHHHHHHH Morgan Freeman moment: my my myyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above! Unfortunately for your taste buds, but great for your health, you need to learn to like fruits and veggies. You can totally retrain your tastebuds! For the longest time, I only liked corn, green beans and tomatoes. Now I eat all sorts of fruits and veggies! You just need to keep making yourself eating them. Eat them in chillis or soups. I add a handful of raw spinach to a lot of my meals (they wilt way down when you cook them so they aren't as noticeable).

I'd suggest pick one fruit or veggie that right now you don't "hate" but isn't on your current list of foods you will eat and make an effort to eat it everyday for at least a week. At the end of that week, it will start to grow on you. You might not "love" it still, but you will like it more than when you started eating it. If you keep doing that, you will find that eventually your tastebuds will automatically "adjust" and it won't be that much effort to start liking more fruits and veggies.

The other VERY important step is to *eliminate* processed foods! I am not sure how much processed food you currently eat, but I can guarantee that is what is killing your tastebuds if you are eating it. You need to eat clean food. That doesn't mean a boring piece of grilled chicken and some steamed broccoli, it just means that very, very, very few of the foods you eat come out of a box or bag. They should be as close to their natural state as possible - the only processing that should occur is what you do in your own kitchen.
  • antipanic
    Options
    Get a juicer and just force it down. That's what I did, because I want the nutrients but detest veggies.
    Eventually, I learned to like them more.

i have the same problem but just with veggies. I'll eat romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, spinach and carrots raw and the only veggies ill eat cooked is corn and peas... would a juicer help with just veggies?

I juice primarily vegetables, with some lemon thrown in to make it more interesting. You can check out the Join the Reboot web site for a bunch of vegetable-only combinations. Be sure to dilute the fresh juice with water until your stomach gets used to it. Otherwise you might get an upset stomach.
  • jenharrio
    jenharrio Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am a picky eater. I am trying to change that but so far not so good.
    When it comes to fruit I like:
    How do I eat healthier and lower calories? I am willing to "sneak" healthy food into meals like I do the carrots. I am the only picky dieter?

No, you are not the only picky eater. I'll join that boat with you. I'm more picky on the veggies than the fruit though. When I finally convince myself to try something, I buy it, then it just goes to waste. I think I would be way better off if I could cram in more veggies. It's aggravating and I know I'm missing out on something great. I've even tried cutting veggies up real small, but the fact that I know they're in there deters me from eating. uugh it's aggravating
  • ashley516
    ashley516 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I won't be much help here. I was really picky. I loved just about every fruit, but hated just about every vegetable. I just started eating vegetables even though I didn't like them at all, and you do get used to it.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If it's a question of getting used to eating them, take a positive approach. Just think how much better that green leafy thing tastes than sea urchin. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to a sushi restaurant and order UNI. I think it's quite possibly the vilest thing I've ever tasted, principally because of the texture. I'm sure somebody loves the stuff, but I just don't get it.

For the longest time I hated fresh tomatoes. Then I found grape and cherry tomatoes, which don't have all the liquid and seeds inside (smaller and less). They're a fruit too and they taste sweet. All I did was switch from hothouse tomatoes to the smaller cousin.

You need fruits and veggies (veggies moreso) because of the fibre that fills you up and makes you not hungry. I'd try salads with no more than 1 tbs of dressing (and balsamic vinegar is a better bet if you get the right one).

Once you lose the heavy foods from your diet, you will probably find the flavours of veggies pop right out at you in a good way.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Mix them in with other ingredients. I used to hate veggies (and still mostly do) but have gotten used to mixing spinach or cabbage into ground beef when making burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. I also started by adding hot spices and/or cheese to just get used to the taste.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Peas, corns, carrots. That's like the growing up "blech" triumvirate. I'd say broaden your horizons. Personally, I find canned veggies a huge turn off. They're mushy to me and gross, or they're way over cooked and, again, mushy. I can't afford fresh, so I buy frozen and steam them just enough so they're still crisp. Makes a /world/ of difference in texture and taste.

Also, my boyfriend is picky about his veggies. So I sneak some peas into a chicken risotto. Or I make a low-cal cheese sauce to disguise broccoli. My friend sold me on Spaghetti Squash. You cook it, remove the inner pulp and seeds, and drag a fork down it to get these spaghetti-like strings of squash. Drench it in pasta sauce and some Parmesan or chili topped with onions and a little shredded cheddar, and you can hardly tell you're eating squash. Crisp green beans in a little butter, lemon, and slivered almonds tastes great. Half the battle with veggies, for me, was that I never learned how to season them so they tasted good. Branch out. Cucumbers are a great snack -- just scrape off the green rind so they aren't bitter -- and make a cucumber sandwich. You can find lots of recipes for them. You can also puree cauliflower with laughing cow cheese, and it's like a veggie creamed potato side dish. Lemon pepper spice -- without the salt, which you can add later or to taste -- makes a great addition to giving veggies a little oomph. Or try zucchini pancakes with a little sour cream (you can find these in the freezer section out here already prepared). Spring for a veggie pot pie. They have individual ones that easily fit within a reasonable dinner's calorie limits. Even veggie pizza. A stir fry can be another great way to get some veggies as long as you use a low-cal recipe. Same with fried rice. Eggplant Parmesan is delicious. Bread a slice of eggplant, bake it, smother it in pasta sauce, add some Parmesan. There's spinach ravioli and tortellini too. You can drink low sodium V8. Throw some diced celery in a tuna salad sandwich. If you get a sub, make sure you load it with veggies. Or if you like sandwiches, slap on a leaf of fresh lettuce (not the gross wilted kind you get from drive-throughs) and a slice or two of tomatoes. Like another poster said, if you don't like regular tomatoes, try plum tomatoes, which are firmer and have less seeds and what not. Really, there's so much you can do with veggies that I never even realized until I started looking at healthy recipes. I don't know if that gives you any ideas or helps, but I hope so!

If you google "veggies" and "picky eater," a lot of recipe sites pop up with ways to sneak veggies into food recipes. That's not to say that you can't juice them, mix up powdered drinks, etc. But really, until I started learning what to /do/ with veggies, I hated them myself. But now I know there are things you can do to make them quite delicious. And it's really not that hard. My boyfriend even eats them now.
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    The cold hard truth is you are not going to be healthy if you do not find a way to increase your vegetable and fruit content. You also are unlikely to be successful in your weight loss goal over the long haul unless you do. So the question you have to ask yourself is do you wan to be healthy and maintain your weight loss goal over time?

From the list of foods you listed it sounds like you have a sweet tooth. From your diary you are eating a lot of fast food and processed foods. So there two be facts you have to remember:

1) You have to eliminate all artificial sweeteners and most sugar otherwise you will never like natural fruit. Nature just can't compete with those sweeteners which are sweeter than sugar. Right now your taste buds are programmed for sugar and fat. Your taste buds will adjust if you cut out the processed and sugary foods. Mixing the two will never work because you will always feel like you are denying yourself what you really want to eat.

2) On an extreme calorie restricted diet you always at a risk of not getting enough nutrients (fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc.). The only way to ensure you not malnourished is to only eat whole foods, no processed foods and raw whenever possible.

Keep in mind too you have only scratched the list of possible fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc. you could be eating. But as long as you eating fast food and Oscar Meyer, you will never be able make the switch because those foods are engineered by food scientists to make you crave them despite the fact that they are bad for you. Your will never be better than the food scientist working for McD's. It is not different than alcoholics can't drink and except to stay sober.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,683 Member
    Options
    The cold hard truth is you are not going to be healthy if you do not find a way to increase your vegetable and fruit content. You also are unlikely to be successful in your weight loss goal over the long haul unless you do. So the question you have to ask yourself is do you wan to be healthy and maintain your weight loss goal over time?
    Not that I'm trying to talk anyone out of eating fruits and veggies, because I'm not, but I beg to differ that one would be unlikely to be successful in reaching and maintaining a weight-loss goal without increasing them. I suppose if you replaced all your fruits and veggies with fat- and sugar-laden foods full of empty calories, that would be the case, but I don't think you can make the leap that that's what happens. I agree that getting plenty of F&Vs contributes to good health, but there are a good many other factors that determine one's overall health.
  • cramernh
    Options
    If it's a question of getting used to eating them, take a positive approach. Just think how much better that green leafy thing tastes than sea urchin. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to a sushi restaurant and order UNI. I think it's quite possibly the vilest thing I've ever tasted, principally because of the texture. I'm sure somebody loves the stuff, but I just don't get it.

For the longest time I hated fresh tomatoes. Then I found grape and cherry tomatoes, which don't have all the liquid and seeds inside (smaller and less). They're a fruit too and they taste sweet. All I did was switch from hothouse tomatoes to the smaller cousin.

You need fruits and veggies (veggies moreso) because of the fibre that fills you up and makes you not hungry. I'd try salads with no more than 1 tbs of dressing (and balsamic vinegar is a better bet if you get the right one).

Once you lose the heavy foods from your diet, you will probably find the flavours of veggies pop right out at you in a good way.

Ill have your sea urchin...... That is one of my favorites!